Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got my Entitlement Letter back in June and it said I wasn't getting a tuition fee loan but getting a grant instead. As there were no payment dates for the grant on the letter other than "A grant for tuition fees of £1820.00 will be paid directly to your university or college" I called them to clarify. The man I spoke to said not to worry about it and that the 4th year at Scottish Uni for English students is a grant not a loan (i thought this was a bit dodgy tbh) !?

So anyways today I got an e-mail from my university saying nothing had been paid and that they contacted the SLC and they said they weren't paying anything and they'd sent me a letter to tell me back in October (which they didn't !). So just wondering if this has happened to anybody before as I'm quite worried since I'm meant to graduate in July and I can't afford to pay the tuition fees by then

I've not had to resit a year and I've never done another course so I don't understand why I'm not entitled to tuition fee payments all of a sudden.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I know of a student this happened to back when I was assessing.

The 4th year fee concession, known as The Quigley Agreement, only applies to those students who began in 2005, or deferred before 1st August 2005 to start in September 06. However, the case I mention had a letter go out showing this concession, despite starting in 2007. Looking at the assessment I'd done, there was no mention of this, and it was only appearing on the paperwork that was automatically issued, so the assessor wouldn't have had any idea about it.

There would still be a fee loan available, but there's no grant, and can only apologise on the behalf of the advisor that they said you did qualify for the final year fee concession. The advice given on that occasion was wrong, and unfortunately it's not the first time it's happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    I know of a student this happened to back when I was assessing.

The 4th year fee concession, known as The Quigley Agreement, only applies to those students who began in 2005, or deferred before 1st August 2005 to start in September 06. However, the case I mention had a letter go out showing this concession, despite starting in 2007. Looking at the assessment I'd done, there was no mention of this, and it was only appearing on the paperwork that was automatically issued, so the assessor wouldn't have had any idea about it.

There would still be a fee loan available, but there's no grant, and can only apologise on the behalf of the advisor that they said you did qualify for the final year fee concession. The advice given on that occasion was wrong, and unfortunately it's not the first time it's happened.
    Hey thanks for this, however when I called them this morning they said the same thing "I'm getting a grant not a loan" so I'm pretty confused and they passed it on to someone higher up so just waiting for them to get back to me.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to, I'm afraid. I would suggest a formal complaint. Calls can be traced providing in the complaint you give the rough time and the number you called from. There's no fee grant for you though, and if they try to tell you otherwise, I suggest you take names.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.