Turn on thread page Beta

Do your parents hit you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    sorry, i didn't mean it that way, just didnt want people saying i deserved it XD :P
    i feel a bit spoiled as i've had holidays etc. but never ever ask for money or presents or anything haha. just not how i roll XD
    No, neither do I. Not like we can really afford it anyways. And of course you didn't deserve getting kicked to the floor

ReputationRep:
    Used to get smacked a lot as a child. Tbf I deserved it.

I havr an asian pakistani friend whose rents are dysfunctional and do that and she just accepts it and laughs it off, and any other friend who is white and ever gets anything, even minutely untoward from their parents, report it asap. Weird. I envy her loyalty to her family.

You are livinh dangerously, it will be better for you to get away. But you know best youself. I hope your situation is resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else here ever hit their parents back?

ReputationRep:
    They wish...

(Original post by tite23)
    Yeah I did hit back a few times, and I still would if they or anyone ever hurt me again.

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldn't be having to take this at 20 (the same age as I am) and I consider myself a fully grown adult like any other 20 year old. I echo everyone else who has said try to move out. Of course it will take a lot of courage, effort and determination... but there's help out there. It just sucks because you somehow need to become financially independent etc. It also sucks that you go to uni at home because you can't really escape and be your own person. Maybe even taking out a loan and living at uni could work?

The loyalty to your family is admirable and I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. In response to the thread title, my parents did when I was younger, but I don't think it's happened since I've been 18+... I've been in quite a similar situation actually: mother with mental health issues and father with anger problems. I've battled depression on and off throughout my teens too and going to uni for the right course at the right uni at 19 helped me. My dad has calmed down over the years though and thankfully it happens rarely with my 8 year old brother, which at one point led me to believe that it's because everyone just hates me. But you can't keep living as the victim and just need to look to the future and how things can be how you want them to be, I guess. It may seem like there's a lot of people out there who aren't interested/won't listen, but equally there are a lot of people who will.

ReputationRep:
    This is a well written story :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Sid)
    Yeah, my dad threw a beer bottle in my face when I was 13 and I punched him in the neck.
    That's how I am. Feel like a violent prick sometimes, though.

ReputationRep:
    That's how I am. Feel like a violent prick sometimes, though.
    Well two wrongs don't make a right but it's understandable. If you bring someone up with violence, they are more likely to be violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Well two wrongs don't make a right but it's understandable. If you bring someone up with violence, they are more likely to be violent.
    I'm not violent anymore, thankfully. Calmed down allot when I turned sixteen. It just makes me shudder, thinking of how I behaved towards my own father. Glad I defended myself and all, but it's rather shameful for a daughter to punch her own father

goodness, never! she's so much bigger and stronger!

i never told anyone either, except a couple of close friends. i couldnt tell my family, and tear apart our home life. my grandparents on my dads side adore him and me and my sister, and they've come to like my mum i think, it would kill them to think of what was happening, and that it hurt their son too and i couldnt drop that bombshell on her side of the family too. and at the end of the day she's my mum, i don't want to see her life ripped apart and court hearings and everything. it was just better to leave it.

probably helped me be the person i am today. bit of a pushover, but i'm a decent person i like to think haha.

ReputationRep:
    i use to get hit when i was younger, i was a naughty boy so fair play lol
    my lil bro and sisters don't get hit so unfair

ReputationRep:
    Good ol slap with the shoes when i was a kid. Served me right for half the things i did. But dude this was at 6-13. Not 20 !! Move out and phone the police. My dad would never raise his hand to me at my age, he just shouts at me when hes angry

ReputationRep:
    I'm not violent anymore, thankfully. Calmed down allot when I turned sixteen. It just makes me shudder, thinking of how I behaved towards my own father. Glad I defended myself and all, but it's rather shameful for a daughter to punch her own father
    Well I guess that's how you feel but it's understandable why you defended yourself, you kind of have every right to. I think for some people it gets to a point where they can't take anymore and they just fight back, so what do abusive parents expect? You reap what you sow, and all parents should remember this - What goes around comes around. it's good you are not violent anymore, just don't pass on violence to your own children if you choose to have kids.

ReputationRep:
    im scared of my mum she will kick ass lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovelife1234)
    never ever have my parents raised their hands on me :h
    smug *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watcher7)
    Get out of there. Do anything you can. The fact that he's had a hard life is not an excuse. It will never, ever be an excuse.

Phone the police. You don't deserve to be assaulted by anyone, least of all a family member.
    Just read this thread OP.

It's not ok, you do NOT deserve to be treated like that in your own home.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, used to get a smack when younger, that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has anger issues & hits me over the smallest of things. He pulls my hair, punches me, and hits me with his slippers. The other day he hit my hand and there was blood all over my white bedsheets.

My mum tries to restrain him, but obviously shes not as strong as he is, she pushed him out the way the last time otherwise "He would have killed me", his words.

They've both been through a lot, my dad lost his job & my mum has acute depression. My sister also died ~15 years ago. Her moodswings are really bad & some of the things she says to me are just terrible, and my young brother has started to copy her.

I've thought about recording my dad when he hits me & reporting him. I don't really know what to do? I'm really petite. it would ruin his career, and my mum doesn't work. Plus at the end of the day, I do care for them but there is no love.
    Hey OP, I know it's been a while, but how are you? Have you managed to get some sort of help? You can PM me if you want.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has anger issues & hits me over the smallest of things. He pulls my hair, punches me, and hits me with his slippers. The other day he hit my hand and there was blood all over my white bedsheets.

My mum tries to restrain him, but obviously shes not as strong as he is, she pushed him out the way the last time otherwise "He would have killed me", his words.

They've both been through a lot, my dad lost his job & my mum has acute depression. My sister also died ~15 years ago. Her moodswings are really bad & some of the things she says to me are just terrible, and my young brother has started to copy her.

I've thought about recording my dad when he hits me & reporting him. I don't really know what to do? I'm really petite. it would ruin his career, and my mum doesn't work. Plus at the end of the day, I do care for them but there is no love.
    You'll get a job one day and you're 20, so technically you can leave. Just hang in there until you find a way out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.