Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when youve got arab parents your pretty much guaranteed beats....lol....not as bad as my nigerian friend, his parents as punishment used to make him chose a stick from his back yard to beat him with...talk about psychological torture lol

ReputationRep:
    My dad use to beat me, he stopped in gr 10 ish. I got chased with a knife, he made me sleep in the car, went to school with a ****ed up face. My dad has anger issues too, but I wouldnt ever tell on him because he's the only one in this world who has been there for me and I can depend on him for anything, he's always there for me.

Try talking to him about it first, ask him to stop that you cant take it anymore and if he doesnt change, you know what you gotta do.

ReputationRep:
    Only my dad. He's from a black background and most black people hit their kids.
    Whilst my mum although she is mixed race (white and latin) she was raised by my grandmother who is white and my mums step father who is also white. Basically she was raised in a white household, so she didnt really believe in hitting children.
    She does come in the way when my dad tries to 'punish' me.

Saying all this, i know black people who have never been hit in their lives, whilst i also know white folks whose parents hit them, so its not so much about culture.

I stopped getting beaten when i was around 15.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are always at work - they come home at 2am so I'm always asleep when they come
    The worst they've ever done was call me lazy coz I don't do any house work when they're at home (Sundays until 7/8pmish when they go work again

ReputationRep:
    nope

I've been hit once in my lifetime by my mum, but it wasn't hard. My dad says he did it once, but felt too guilty to ever do it again.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been hit for a few months, but I still flinch if my Dad comes towards me if we're arguing.

ReputationRep:
    Start going to gym!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh and also DO PRESS UPS, Bench press, Weights so and so... FRONT OF HIMM! Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad my parents never hit or hurt me in any way. They just launched threats that I would get a ban on watching TV or playing computer Fortunately it was enough for me to stop being cheeky and so my parents didn't even have a reason for hurting me.
    But if I personally see parents beating their kids, I can only shake my head about their stupidity and cowardice. They're just too lazy about trying to educate their kids and give them a chance for living a normal life.

ReputationRep:
    A beat there and here is acceptable in some parents eyes but when blood is present... It should be reported, totally unacceptable

(Original post by Watcher7)
    Get out of there. Do anything you can. The fact that he's had a hard life is not an excuse. It will never, ever be an excuse.

Phone the police. You don't deserve to be assaulted by anyone, least of all a family member.
    This exactly. I've been in this situation, and I finally told someone and moved out. The parent in question didn't get in trouble with the police as I chose not to involve them. I don't see them anymore and can finally try and move on with my life. I was 17...but apart from that it seems quite similar. My sister died too...but it's NO excuse for a parent to abuse you.

I know moving out is a HUGE step, especially if you've had to put up with it for a long time, but you need to think about yourself now. If it was a stranger who has assaulted you, you would consider it unacceptable. Just because it is a member of your family, it doesn't mean they can treat you terribly. Luckily you seem to be in a situation where you could move out? As others have said, there are people at your university who will be able to help with things like this, the emotional side, and also the practical side, ie helping you find accomodation.

Please get out of that environment and don't let him do this to you. Do this for yourself and your brother, you need to make sure he is safe too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4ix)
    But if I personally see parents beating their kids, I can only shake my head about their stupidity and cowardice. They're just too lazy about trying to educate their kids and give them a chance for living a normal life.
    I agree :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My mother is 4'9.

She is also devil incarnate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
    My mother is 4'9.

She is also devil incarnate.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I would tell you but I'm afraid my dad would hit me if he found out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Why?
    Because I've never seen a woman so tiny inspire such fear in people twice her size.

It's a bit like having Kim Jong Il for a mother!

ReputationRep:
    Yh i get the chappal from my mum sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Could only be Asian?
    Racist much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This exactly. I've been in this situation, and I finally told someone and moved out. The parent in question didn't get in trouble with the police as I chose not to involve them. I don't see them anymore and can finally try and move on with my life. I was 17...but apart from that it seems quite similar. My sister died too...but it's NO excuse for a parent to abuse you.

I know moving out is a HUGE step, especially if you've had to put up with it for a long time, but you need to think about yourself now. If it was a stranger who has assaulted you, you would consider it unacceptable. Just because it is a member of your family, it doesn't mean they can treat you terribly. Luckily you seem to be in a situation where you could move out? As others have said, there are people at your university who will be able to help with things like this, the emotional side, and also the practical side, ie helping you find accomodation.

Please get out of that environment and don't let him do this to you. Do this for yourself and your brother, you need to make sure he is safe too
    I definately agree, and well done for getting out. I don't understand why some people think that just because someone is their parent it is acceptable to let them hurt them when really if that parent was a stranger and hurt them then it would be unacceptable. It is not right at all.

How did you manage to get out? I know someone who is in a similar situation. Is it possbile if you could PM me?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, I think no.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.