Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be studying in london for a few months and was wondering how expensive it is. I've spent quite a bit of time in a lot of big cities, so I know they can be ridiculous, but was hoping some people had advice?

I'm just finishing uni in America, so I'm sort of used to living off potatoes and pasta for a rather affordable 20-30 dollars a week. I can go back to Cardiff for intervals, but would prefer to stay in london as much as possible if the food isn't really expensive, any suggestions/idea?

ReputationRep:
    food's pretty much the same price in london as elsewhere providing you go to the right places. your main concern should probably be accommodation prices which are through the roof compared to elsewhere in england. you also may struggle to find accommodation that close to wherever you're studying, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem since transport's fairly well priced within london and it doesn't take too long to get anywhere (they charge extortionate prices for going in and out of london though >_>). also make sure you get an oyster card asap to save money on your bus & tube tickets too.

that's all i can think of for now, i hope you enjoy yourself when you arrive :].

ReputationRep:
    Well, its sort of a complicated, long winded and boring story. But basically I'm from Cardiff, studying in Florida, now about to study in London. Accomodation and all that is taken care of, it was only food I am worried about because its currently my only variable expense.

Thanks though! I've heard about the oyster card and all that, should be fine. I'm sure potatoes are cheap anywhere you go....

ReputationRep:
    London is a massive place, so prices can be variable. Obviously Westminster, Kensington, Mayfair, and other places in central London will be far more expensive accommodation-wise. The better restaurants are mainly found north of the river, and places like Upper Street in Islington really have a lot to offer. It all really depends on your priorities, and how much you're willing to spend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually there really just to study. There'll be a kitchen in the flat so i'm just after some comparisons for food shopping, i already eat like a pauper.

ReputationRep:
    You can eat on the cheap if you have to. It's more the rent and drink prices you'd notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    I'm actually there really just to study. There'll be a kitchen in the flat so i'm just after some comparisons for food shopping, i already eat like a pauper.
    The price of food doesn't tend to vary a lot between different supermarket chains. Generally, Waitrose and M&S will be a little more expensive than Asda or Tesco, but the quality will also be better.

As for restaurants, they're certainly not cheap on the whole, although there really are some top-notch places to dine. Which part of London will you be staying in?

ReputationRep:
    If your only real concern is food, you'll be absolutely fine if you shop at the right places. Instead of buying everything from M&S, go for places like Iceland, Tesco, etc.

Whereabouts in London will you be staying (if you don't mind me asking)?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input guys, really eased my worries. I was on the verge of not signing up for fear it would be much more expensive than my current standard of living.

As for location, I am not sure of the exact address but its only a few blocks from the British Museum, somewhere around bloomsbury i think . I've been to London tons of times, but only ever as day trips from Cardiff, never to stay for a few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    Thanks for the input guys, really eased my worries. I was on the verge of not signing up for fear it would be much more expensive than my current standard of living.

As for location, I am not sure of the exact address but its only a few blocks from the British Museum, somewhere around bloomsbury i think . I've been to London tons of times, but only ever as day trips from Cardiff, never to stay for a few months.
    That's an amazing place to be staying! Count yourself lucky. I live in North London and it takes me 35 minutes to get to central London, which is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    I'll be studying in london for a few months and was wondering how expensive it is. I've spent quite a bit of time in a lot of big cities, so I know they can be ridiculous, but was hoping some people had advice?

I'm just finishing uni in America, so I'm sort of used to living off potatoes and pasta for a rather affordable 20-30 dollars a week. I can go back to Cardiff for intervals, but would prefer to stay in london as much as possible if the food isn't really expensive, any suggestions/idea?
    Ermm depends where you live really..I lived in South Kensington so my accommodation was ridiculously expensive but food and clothes etc are the same price really. the underground system is amazing and you can get monthly oysters which aren't too costly..

ReputationRep:
    If you are in the British Museum area, your nearest supermarket in Waitrose in Brunswick Square, they have a basic range which attempts to match Tesco. There are some Tesco Metro and Sainsbury Local nearby but these tend to have a limited range and charge extra compared to the bigger versions of the stores.

I suggest you head to Camden 5-10 minute bus ride away and stock up at Lidl, Iceland, Sainsburys or Morrisons. The savings should cover the bus fare. Use

www.mysupermarket.co.uk

(I have no affliation to this site) to determine whether it is worth the time and effort to go after the bargains. Sign up for the Sainsburys or Tesco loyalty schemes, cost nothing to join and they may send you money off vouchers, which can save 10-20% on a £20 shop. If you find an Aldi on your travels in London they stock a lot European brands which pass the switch and save test.

For a single person, who mostly cooks you can survive on £20 a week with a bit of variety. If you know where to go around Russell Square a medium takeway tea can be had for 50p (organic tea bag & milk), a freshly ground coffee for £1 and a large baked potato with two toppings £2.25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    Oh my best friend lives there! She goes to UCL. You'll be absolutely fine. There are several cheap grocery stores within walking distance of my friend's halls so at most you'll be faced with a short bus ride to a local Tesco/Asda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braceface)
    Oh my best friend lives there! She goes to UCL. You'll be absolutely fine. There are several cheap grocery stores within walking distance of my friend's halls so at most you'll be faced with a short bus ride to a local Tesco/Asda.
    A bus ride? I 'swear down' (you need to learn to speak like a proper Londoner ) there's a Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local every 10 meters or so in that part of London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    A bus ride? I 'swear down' (you need to learn to speak like a proper Londoner ) there's a Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local every 10 meters or so in that part of London!
    lol I am a proper Londoner! I guess I've been in Oxford for too long. Yeah I know there are shops all over the place, but the OP said they're living "around Bloomsbury" so I said "at most" they would have to get on a bus (though that probably won't be necessary).

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks is double the price :p: I found this out when I was visiting London over Christmas/New Year's

ReputationRep:
    Tesco sandwhiches/pasta pots are just over £1
    a bottle of water is approx 50p
    If you're not picky then you're living in paradise :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    fantastic! psh, no need for coffee. I'll just live off pasties.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.