Turn on thread page Beta

Is taking the Quran burners to court an anti-Muslim propaganda ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atheist Britain)
    It is possible that a tiny minority of my ancestors were vikings. However extensive research shows that northern Britons are over whelmingly descended from the first settlers to these islands, with an average of over 90% of our genetic make up being traced to those first settlers to Briton (I have extensive info on this)

That makes me an indigenous Briton.
    Do you support the BNP by any chance ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    That's worrying to know and i hope your not bein serious if you go talk to people yourself you'l soon figure that most muslims are happy to live in this country under British law - it is a requirment of the religion in fact. As a muslim in this country i have a right to practice my religion freely and i applaud the authority for allowing me.... i mean look at France and Denmark i wudnt' be happy there rite now.
    Why do so many British Muslims want Sharia law in the UK, then?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...law-in-UK.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Nope. Nice try I see what you tried to do there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a conspircy,. just natural media attention.

And I do have something to say on this matter. Although it is supposedley the minority of Muslims who hold these extreme views, it still seems like a startling number of Muslims. I mean, you look at what happened in Afgahnistan, and the sort of thing that happens in Pakistan and you see that the actions of the 'extreme few' do actually have popular support.

I mean, talking about minorities, when the President of the most populous Muslim country says that burning the Qu'ran is a threat to world security, you've got to wonder about how small this 'minority' is, and exactly how rational a large proportion of Muslims are.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible that a tiny minority of my ancestors were vikings. However extensive research shows that northern Britons are over whelmingly descended from the first settlers to these islands, with an average of over 90% of our genetic make up being traced to those first settlers to Briton (I have extensive info on this)

That makes me an indigenous Briton.
    I guess the vikings didn't do a good job then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I guess the vikings didn't do a good job then.
    Do a good job of what ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramox3)
    But these all remain minorities in one or two Muslim majority countries out of 30+ Muslim majority countries, and why is it that only selected minorities are given so much attention by the media?
    The media report information about recent events, they don't report information about non-events. Much the same way American schools don't make headline news when there isn't a shooting but do when there is.

No need to be paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I don't think it's a conspircy,. just natural media attention.

And I do have something to say on this matter. Although it is supposedley the minority of Muslims who hold these extreme views, it still seems like a startling number of Muslims. I mean, you look at what happened in Afgahnistan, and the sort of thing that happens in Pakistan and you see that the actions of the 'extreme few' do actually have popular support.

I mean, talking about minorities, when the President of the most populous Muslim country says that burning the Qu'ran is a threat to world security, you've got to wonder about how small this 'minority' is, and exactly how rational a large proportion of Muslims are.
    Bro, this is what I am talking about, since when does Pakistan and Afghanistan represent Islam ? Afghanistan and Pakistan are countries that got Islamasized recently ( in historic terms) by the Arabs, and do tend have extreme interpretation, these two countries are extremely underdeveloped with extremely low literacy rates and religious extremist do run the place there, even in comparison to the most extremist Muslim Arab state Saudi Arabia comes off as fairly progressive in comparison.

There were no demonstrations in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon, etc.. because really no one cares about some crazy Quran burning pastor, people there have more important issues on their hands, like getting rid of their oppressive regimes, democracy, getting back on track with the rest of the world and economic progression.

I am not saying all Muslim countries are faultless, but getting a demonstration in a couple of countries and presenting it as , The Muslims, isn't accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Wallace)
    The media report information about recent events, they don't report information about non-events. Much the same way American schools don't make headline news when there isn't a shooting but do when there is.

No need to be paranoid.
    I am not against that, these are significant incidents that have to be reported, but presenting at as " The Muslims " is what gets me. Anyway the media isn't the really issue here, the issue is double standards..

ReputationRep:
    Bro, this is what I am talking about, since when does Pakistan and Afghanistan represent Islam ? Afghanistan and Pakistan are countries that got Islamasized recently ( in historic terms) by the Arabs, and do tend have extreme interpretation, these two countries are extremely underdeveloped with extremely low literacy rates and religious extremist do run the place there, even in comparison to the most extremist Muslim Arab state Saudi Arabia comes off as fairly progressive in comparison.

There were no demonstrations in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon, etc.. because really no one cares about some crazy Quran burning pastor, people there have more important issues on their hands, like getting rid of their oppressive regimes, democracy, getting back on track with the rest of the world and economic progression.

I am not saying all Muslim countries are faultless, but getting a demonstration in a couple of countries and presenting it as , The Muslims, isn't accurate.
    But there were also protests in Indionesia. When Draw Mohammed Day was around, there were violent protests in damn near every Muslim country.

So often these extreme Muslims are dismissed as a minority. But they are a huge minority. Numbering in the hundreds of millions by all accounts. When entire countries, such as Pakistan and Indianesia are gripped by this religious furore, in my opinion you lose the ability to call them a minority.

ReputationRep:
    But there were also protests in Indionesia. When Draw Mohammed Day was around, there were violent protests in damn near every Muslim country.

So often these extreme Muslims are dismissed as a minority. But they are a huge minority. Numbering in the hundreds of millions by all accounts. When entire countries, such as Pakistan and Indianesia are gripped by this religious furore, in my opinion you lose the ability to call them a minority.
    Well, yea I agree its not a very small minority to be completely ignored, but its still not the majority.
    When the Prophet was insulted, many Muslims felt it was personal, they felt as if they were getting challenged, the cartoonist were indirectly saying "we're going to get your spiritual leader, your role model, ridicule him and there is nothing you can do about it", and people got offended and protested ( which is within there rights), some protests turned ugly, and I dont think many people are proud of that

Here's an interesting article on the issue by Al Jazeera if you're interested ..
    http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...14244935.html#

ReputationRep:
    Well, yea I agree its not a very small minority to be completely ignored, but its still not the majority.
    When the Prophet was insulted, many Muslims felt it was personal, they felt as if they were getting challenged, the cartoonist were indirectly saying "we're going to get your spiritual leader, your role model, ridicule him and there is nothing you can do about it", and people got offended and protested ( which is within there rights), some protests turned ugly, and I dont think many people are proud of that

Here's an interesting article on the issue by Al Jazeera if you're interested ..
    http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...14244935.html#
    That may be so. But I find the stoning of women in certain Islamic republics abhorrent. I don't call for the death of all the Muslims who allow that to happen. Instead of ignoring the problem as a minority, and then telling us in thw West not to provoke them, I fell the majority Muslim cinternational community needs to look within itse;f and help to eradicate those extremists. If, and it's a big if, if that could be managed then Islamic credability would rise tenfold. But it is my view, that it's not an issue any Muslims really want to address. Either because they secretly agree, or they feel some sort of kinship, even if they don't share the same extremem beliefs.

It's the same with Jews and Israel, few Jews will openly criticise Israel because of the religios connection. And it is a flaw in the religious community. Most refuse to deal with the problems within their own, and instead seek to externalise any problem, whilst downplaying their religious compatriots role in the problem.

ReputationRep:
    That may be so. But I find the stoning of women in certain Islamic republics abhorrent. I don't call for the death of all the Muslims who allow that to happen. Instead of ignoring the problem as a minority, and then telling us in thw West not to provoke them, I fell the majority Muslim cinternational community needs to look within itse;f and help to eradicate those extremists. If, and it's a big if, if that could be managed then Islamic credability would rise tenfold. But it is my view, that it's not an issue any Muslims really want to address. Either because they secretly agree, or they feel some sort of kinship, even if they don't share the same extremem beliefs.

It's the same with Jews and Israel, few Jews will openly criticise Israel because of the religios connection. And it is a flaw in the religious community. Most refuse to deal with the problems within their own, and instead seek to externalise any problem, whilst downplaying their religious compatriots role in the problem.
    I do agree with you, extremism is a a problem that has to be exterminated, and everyone has to share the efforts especially the mainstream Muslims. Although I disagree on the secrecy thing, what you hear is what you get, we dont have the concept of lying or changing what Islam is to impress non-Muslims. The Quran isn't a secret book, that only muslims can get access to, its there for anyone to read, and how you interpret it is what makes the difference between the extremist and the liberal muslims, yes it is open to interpretations and it is said in the Prophets traditions that the prophet said: " your disagreement and difference in interpretations is a blessing " so that's something that's encouraged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Nope but he will only have sex with a white woman because he doesn't want any fugly looking brown kids and "he will teach [his] daughter the importance of preserving her white lineage" apparently.

I only date white women. I want white children not brown children. I believe that white people are the most aesthetically beautiful people in the world, we are so unique with our differing hair colour, eye colour and I think its tragic to turn the white race brown like all the rest of the world, I am proud of my race and I want to preserve my ethnicity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Nope but he will only have sex with a white woman because he doesn't want any fugly looking brown kids and "he will teach [his] daughter the importance of preserving her white lineage" apparently.
    Wow you can repeat what people say like a parrot

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you, extremism is a a problem that has to be exterminated, and everyone has to share the efforts especially the mainstream Muslims. Although I disagree on the secrecy thing, what you hear is what you get, we dont have the concept of lying or changing what Islam is to impress non-Muslims. The Quran isn't a secret book, that only muslims can get access to, its there for anyone to read, and how you interpret it is what makes the difference between the extremist and the liberal muslims, yes it is open to interpretations and it is said in the Prophets traditions that the prophet said: " your disagreement and difference in interpretations is a blessing " so that's something that's encouraged
    Tere are secret hearts though. There have been various reports and documenteries on the subject. Although you would present the vast majority of Muslims as 'moderate' many hold the same views as the extremists, just do nothing about it. I mean, just look at the figures of Muslims that would implement Sharia if they had the chance, at the expense of the populace. Many also believe homosexuality is an abomination to be eradicated.

When I talk of secrets this is what I mean. I believe truly moderate Muslims are in the minority. Muslims who respect the Western way of life and don't seek to change it. Muslims with beliefs compatible to modern, polite society. I fear they are a smaller minority than the extremists.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.