Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently a student at university and wanted to change course at this university. I went to see an education advisor on 14th January who told me I needed to apply through UCAS but there was no need to put that I am already a student in the education section as it is the same university.

I was then rejected from that university and applied through Extra to another university where I received an unconditional.

I have now found out I could have my offer withdrawn for not declaring my education at this university (although I will be withdrawing this week)

What do you suggest I do? Ring the new university and tell them? As I never intentionally set out to deceive them as I have mentioned my current education on my Occupational Health form and if I had been advised correctly I would have declared it...

I'm really worried they will take my offer from me even though this was a complete mistake and I'm now really starting to panic as I never meant to do anything wrong.

Someone please help!

ReputationRep:
    You need to call the new university and just be honest with them.

I would follow this phone call up via email and CC in the educational advisor from your current university. They need to be fully aware that they are giving incorrect information to students and there are serious consequences of this, as you've found out. I would recommend you get the educational advisor at your current university to contact the new one and reiterate that they gave you the wrong advice, as you should have included that you were still at university regardless of whether it was your current university or a new one.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying

I have no idea of the name of this person anymore, it was months ago and they don't have email addresses as far as I am aware, but I'll follow that bit up later

Do you think it will affect my offer? I'm so scared because this is my last chance and I never meant to hide anything, tbh I didn't even know you could put it on UCAS otherwise I would have done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeprincess)
    Do you think it will affect my offer? I'm so scared because this is my last chance and I never meant to hide anything, tbh I didn't even know you could put it on UCAS otherwise I would have done...
    It can affect your offer yes, and I've known of a few situations where the university has chosen to remove the offer once they found out a candidate had already been to university. However, the only thing you can do is be honest with them and take it from there

ReputationRep:
    I'd just let sleeping dogs lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    I'd just let sleeping dogs lie.
    And then they find out two weeks before you graduate and kick you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    And then they find out two weeks before you graduate and kick you out.
    Have you ever seen any evidence (not urban myth) that someone has been kicked out of a university for failing to disclose that they started a university course previously and then withdrew? It's considered 'bad form' but hardly a major issue - not like lying about your grades or something :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    It can affect your offer yes, and I've known of a few situations where the university has chosen to remove the offer once they found out a candidate had already been to university. However, the only thing you can do is be honest with them and take it from there
    Thanks I have an it's all sorted

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen any evidence (not urban myth) that someone has been kicked out of a university for failing to disclose that they started a university course previously and then withdrew?
    Yes.

I've dealt with two people on TSR who have had unconditional offers withdrawn from universities in this application cycle alone due to not declaring they were already at university. I also know of others on TSR who have had their application reconsidered for the same issue, leaving them in the lurch for several weeks, but luckily for the applicants involved they were eventually allowed to keep their offers.

(Original post by blondeprincess)
    Thanks I have an it's all sorted
    Glad you got it sorted

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen any evidence (not urban myth) that someone has been kicked out of a university for failing to disclose that they started a university course previously and then withdrew? It's considered 'bad form' but hardly a major issue - not like lying about your grades or something :rolleyes:
    How about the person who 'forgot' to tell his medical school that he'd been to uni before? He managed to graduate before anyone discovered this, and was then struck off by the General Medical Council for lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    How about the person who 'forgot' to tell his medical school that he'd been to uni before? He managed to graduate before anyone discovered this, and was then struck off by the General Medical Council for lying.
    That was going to be my example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.