The Student Room Group

I think I have a self harming problem...

I sort of self harm without thinking about it. If I get upset or angry I punch walls or myself but most of the time I'd just get a small bruise or something so no one would know.

But after last night I'm starting to worry slightly. I had a bit to drink with my friends and I'm going through a stage of depression at the moment so I started punching myself in the face. Because I had alcohol in my system it was less painful so I was able to harm myself more.

Now I have a black eye and swollen cheek. It looks quite bad. Anyone who asks I tell them I fell over while drunk. Now my parents know and they're really worried about my drinking. They think I hurt myself because I drank too much but that's not the case. I would have hit myself that hard anyway while sober but I took that opportunity to cause more harm because the pain was numbed.

I just feel really down because no one really knows the truth. Also I don't know how serious my problem is and whether I need help.

In the past I've self harmed while sober, like punching the wall and breaking my finger. I've only cut myself a few times but I've stopped that because it's less helpful. I don't know why I self harm, it just feels normal. I know it's not but I carry on because so far I haven't caused any serious damage.

After last night though I'm starting to worry. What should I do? Do I need help or is this normal? :frown: I feel really depressed because of this, everyone around me is being hurt by this too.
Go and seek medical/psychiatric attention.

/thread.
Reply 2
Get some counselling would be my advice. Just talking to people can help

Stop being beta
You're mad, get help
OP I think you know that it is not normal otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread. Talk to someone about it? Either a friend or a counsellor? You haven't caused any serious damage so far but you might end up doing so in the near future if you don't change things now. Get some help op
Hope things work out for you
That reminded me of a scene in fight club

It is a problem, you need to find better ways of dealing with stress. Maybe get a punching bag? or try different methods of relaxing and stick to the one that suits you best
(edited 13 years ago)
try www.recoveryourlife.com for good advice and people who understand :smile: It's not normal for hurting yourself to feel normal x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending