Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Human species may 'split in two' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm
    Its an old article, but I remember reading it back in 06 and I found it again today

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures....

Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people.
    Very interesting imo. I don't really think it will happen though.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    ...who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.
    BBC be trolling.

But nah, utter nonsense in my opinion. We aren't like other animals, who all go for the biggest antlers or the most colourful bill. Humans exhibit a massive range of personal preferences, the idea that everyone will evolve in the same direction is ridiculous when between the internet and alcohol, anybody can and will potentially sleep with anybody =P

ReputationRep:
    What a load of theoretical crap.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, I love you. I was looking for this article ages ago, one of the funniest things I've ever read. :rofl:

Edit: What's negworthy about this?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he just rip that from HG Well's Time Machine? :awesome:

Morlocks vs Eloi.

Eloi FTW!

ReputationRep:
    How very HG Wells of them.

No chance though. It takes a BIG division that lasts thousands of years for a species to diverge. A social construct simply isn't a strong enough divide.

ReputationRep:
    10/10 - Would read again

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh they probably just watched a bit too many futurist and post modern movies - refer to 'the Time Machine'

ReputationRep:
    Pseudoscience.

ReputationRep:
    When I clicked this topic I expected to see. People cut in half either no legs or straight down the middle.

ReputationRep:
    We can only hope. I can then have an army of minions working in my tobacco fields, whilst I smoke a cigar on the balcony of my hacienda.

ReputationRep:
    In the early and mid 20th century they thought we'd be flying around is flying cars and robots would be our slaves.

I'm still waitng for my flying car and my slave robot that cooks, cleans and provides sexual pleasures. In other words I still haven't found a wife :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a question of a separation of species but about scum out breeding the rest of us. Intelligent people have fewer children than the scum, so eventually the human race will become dumber and dumber.

The end is nigh my friends. The end is nigh.

ReputationRep:
    Oh buggar! I'm not going to live that long to see it happening :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Lol I could see where the idea is created, and I think that they're taking what is slightly (slightly) happening now and amplifying it 10 fold.

This happens though, the people on extreme ends hardly ever come in contact with each other; upper-middle and higher don't work on the same level or have the same jobs as middle-lower and down (social class).

As a result, and I'm going by rough guesses, all of this is made from observation, people tend to meet and communicate/live with people in their respective classes. If things continue the way they are now and it gets drastically harder to live, I could see a larger spread in the "quality" of human life and the people that live that way.

I'm not sure about downgrading to goblins or something, but I could see the lower class groups of people "staying" there and it being a lot harder to rise out of that than it is today. Hell, governments are built like this. The people in power want to stay in power. Because of this, they make it hard for people not already there to climb up in the ladder.

Once you get middle-upper middle class it's "easy" to stay there (generationally speaking) but it's a lot harder to climb there from poverty/lower classes.

Sociology 101.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Hi.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm
    Its an old article, but I remember reading it back in 06 and I found it again today

Very interesting imo. I don't really think it will happen though.

Thoughts?
    Tbh I think we are already in decline due to technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    It isn't a question of a separation of species but about scum out breeding the rest of us. Intelligent people have fewer children than the scum, so eventually the human race will become dumber and dumber.

The end is nigh my friends. The end is nigh.
    I do agree with what you're saying; do you think that sheer numbers will, overall, devalue human intelligence?

..... you're right. As many times as I ask myself "is he/she really that stupid" a day, I wouldn't be surprised if a study was done 10 years from now and proved this.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish the Human race would advance.

Instead we are stuck in a mire of mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    Dr Curry? Coffee race? LOL

ReputationRep:
    The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures....
    That's already evident today...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.