Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    FOR MEDICINE
    I am lucky enough to hold an offer from both for medicine.

Tbh, I really don't care if I learn via a PBL or integrated method, both seem to have their good and bad points. So, for a change, I'd like you to forget the style of teaching for this one.

Both are great cities, although I think Glasgow appeals to me more in that respect, but then again, I haven't seen enough of either to form a good opinion.

I'd be interested to get some of your views on this...

ReputationRep:
    studying medicine?.....come to glasgow!!!!!!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Glasgow = great nightlife (seriously it's amazing), excessively good music scene, loadsa really good societies, cheap life, amazing shopping (though as a guy not sure how much that bothers you), really friendly people, easy access to mountains for skiing (certainly a plus for me), deep fried pizza, deep fried mars bars, batter on everything, tallest cinema in the world, largest disco ball in Europe...it's basically the best city ever!

ReputationRep:
    GLASGOW ! that is all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Glasgow = great nightlife (seriously it's amazing), excessively good music scene, loadsa really good societies, cheap life, amazing shopping (though as a guy not sure how much that bothers you), really friendly people, easy access to mountains for skiing (certainly a plus for me), deep fried pizza, deep fried mars bars, batter on everything, tallest cinema in the world, largest disco ball in Europe...it's basically the best city ever!
    Skiing ??? =0 how far is the mountains from the uni and how do i go about getting there !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilahmed1)
    studying medicine?.....come to glasgow!!!!!!
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. Haha, straight to the point their adilahmed1. Basically, why Glasgow over Leeds? I'm attracted by the 500+ year history that goes with the it, and the historical buildings on the campus, but also I think the Wolfson building is much nicer on the eye than Leeds med school (dated?) lol. But yeah, I still don't think I can turn down Leeds because of that....
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Skiing ??? =0 how far is the mountains from the uni and how do i go about getting there !!!!
    Join ski club, they sometimes run minibuses to the mountains! If not you can get public transport

Also there is a dry ski slope and a fake snow ski slope in Glasgow

(Original post by resortini)
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. Haha, straight to the point their adilahmed1. Basically, why Glasgow over Leeds? I'm attracted by the 500+ year history that goes with the it, and the historical buildings on the campus, but also I think the Wolfson building is much nicer on the eye than Leeds med school (dated?) lol. But yeah, I still don't think I can turn down Leeds because of that....
    See my post as to why Glasgow is an amazing city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Join ski club, they sometimes run minibuses to the mountains! If not you can get public transport

Also there is a dry ski slope and a fake snow ski slope in Glasgow

See my post as to why Glasgow is an amazing city.
    Thanks for the reply Haha, yeah I must admit you just about sold it to me lol.... One of the only things which I don't like (not sure if that's the right phrase) about medicine at Glasgow is the fact you can't intercalate externally, whereas you can at Leeds (plus they offer a better variety of intercalated degrees), so that's just a little annoying, as I would have liked to maybe go elsewhere to intercalate (maybe nearer home for a year?).... Could this possibly change within the time I am there?

ReputationRep:
    I think I need to balance out this argument :P

The nightlife and music scene at Leeds are also really good, as well as really friendly people, lots of societies, Medsoc etc!
    I know a couple of people who are studying medicine at Leeds, and from what I've heard, they're really enjoying it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks for the reply Haha, yeah I must admit you just about sold it to me lol.... One of the only things which I don't like (not sure if that's the right phrase) about medicine at Glasgow is the fact you can't intercalate externally, whereas you can at Leeds (plus they offer a better variety of intercalated degrees), so that's just a little annoying, as I would have liked to maybe go elsewhere to intercalate (maybe nearer home for a year?).... Could this possibly change within the time I am there?
    I can't comment as I'm not a medicine student, just love Glasgow and the uni :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow defo mush.

Hottest girls going.

ReputationRep:
    That campus is so ugly though , sorry but I think it actually might sway me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    Glasgow defo mush.

Hottest girls going.
    True.... but, I wouldn't kick most of the Leeds lasses out of bed lol

ReputationRep:
    True.... but, I wouldn't kick most of the Leeds lasses out of bed lol
    Bunch o' munters those Leeds scum.

Yer better off at Glaaarsgow laa'

Edit: But more OT, Medicine is probably quite good in Glaaarsgow as there is an abundance of bubonic plague victims and the like aboot the place.

ReputationRep:
    Mate also remember the fees are £400 cheaper. Also like you said Leeds is an ugly campus.. In glasgow the travel links are very good and the halls are also, in my opinion, better than average. There is also a Med soc called Medchir and glasgow has an amazing night life and a great music scene.

Also there loads of sick people in Glasgow which is better for you as a student

ReputationRep:
    haha, no seriously, is there anyone with some words of wisdom?

ReputationRep:
    Mate also remember the fees are £400 cheaper. Also like you said Leeds is an ugly campus.. In glasgow the travel links are very good and the halls are also, in my opinion, better than average. There is also a Med soc called Medchir and glasgow has an amazing night life and a great music scene.

Leeds isn't an ugly campus at all... just because you think Glasgow is better doesn't make Leeds 'ugly'.

ReputationRep:

Good man, that's what I'm looking for.... yeah I completely forgot about the fees being cheaper haha but it isn't a priority because we'll pay it straight off (or near enough) as a junior doc :cool:

I think with Glasgow's changes to the course it's just going to be better than ever (hopefully) so that's another plus...

Are you planning on intercalating? Just annoys me a bit how they are one of the few med schools who don't let you intercalate externally (they used to, but stopped a couple of years ago)... The plan was to intercalate nearer home for one year, for a change of scene and to experience life at a different uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonperson)
    Leeds isn't an ugly campus at all... just because you think Glasgow is better doesn't make Leeds 'ugly'.
    tbh the med school didn't exactly amaze me, and I didn't find the others too appealing either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonperson)
    I stayed in leeds for a month and walked past the Uni and med school regularly. I also have many mates there and visit leeds a lot. Im comparing the two Medical school. The campus at leeds is very nice the med school not so nice. The campus and med school at Glasgow are both very nice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.