Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should Facebook be banned from all schools and colleges? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My college has decided to ban facebook on all computers at certain times of the day! Do you agree with this decision? I know many schools do have it banned but should colleges/uni's follow suit?

I personally agree with the ban i spend far too much time on the thing and never enough work is done! I probably spend enough time on it at home or on my mobile as well!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my college did it too. Didn't really effect me as i wasn't ever on the computers but i think it is a good idea.
    I mean, why do you need to go on it in school anyway?
    Status updates in school = 'sat in my chair in computer room bored' .. don't need any more pointless updates like that.

(Original post by sean2011)
    My college has decided to ban facebook on all computers at certain times of the day! Do you agree with this decision? I know many schools do have it banned but should colleges/uni's follow suit?

I personally agree with the ban i spend far too much time on the thing and never enough work is done! I probably spend enough time on it at home or on my mobile as well!
    :rofl:

There is something called the smartphone. People can access it from their own modes of equipment.

ReputationRep:
    God no!

you only discover the true utility of facebook once at Uni: there is no faster or more efficient way to organise an event with a large number of friends who you will not necessarily all bump into than facebook. People also tend to be much more honest about whether or not they wish to come over facebook.

additionally, large amounts of work have actually been done via the medium of facebook, when collaboration is required.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, if I didn't have Facebook, I would find another way to procrastinate. I spent a lot of time on facebook and still got good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Unis shouldn't do it because it's not their responsibility to do things like that. You're there as an adult to take control for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is useful (One of my modules was heavily based arround mini assignments on facebook). But in the busiest places I think it should be banned. Nothing more annoying than walking into a library pc room to find no free computers but so many people sat playing on facebook, when I need to print work off.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My uni library has it banned on the three main subject floors (8am-8pm I think).

The ban was actually passed into action at the All Students' Meeting.

ReputationRep:
    No, if people want to **** about and not do their work let them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Unis shouldn't do it because it's not their responsibility to do things like that. You're there as an adult to take control for yourself.

Coventry has a fairly large library, yet during the 24hr opening of exam periods the place is PACKED. When you can't find anywhere to sit (even if you don't need a computer) and all you can see is people on Facebook, you just want to scream at them.

It's simply not fair. The university has not banned it on all uni computers (and you can still access it on laptops) so it's not like you can't go on it if you need it for an assignment or something.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My school already does that. I dont mind.

It also blocks many other websites.

The most stupid one is blocking The New York Times newspaper website, I tried to access it to get certain information but I couldn't.

I procastinate in a different way, though. E.g. going on an unblocked website such as TSR. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Coventry has a fairly large library, yet during the 24hr opening of exam periods the place is PACKED. When you can't find anywhere to sit (even if you don't need a computer) and all you can see is people on Facebook, you just want to scream at them.

It's simply not fair. The university has not banned it on all uni computers (and you can still access it on laptops) so it's not like you can't go on it if you need it for an assignment or something.
    I know what you mean, it gets like that at Aston too. It's a tough one really cos I can see why it's be a good idea to ban it but it's a bit odd to expect them to do it for people cos it's like being back at school being told what you can and can't do.

ReputationRep:
    My school monitors my facebook even when im OUTTA school, PEAK

ReputationRep:
    It's banned in mine *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    They blocked it on library PC's - they were getting hogged by the poke and giggle set so you couldn't get on to do print assignments.

still works on the wifi if you've got your own laptop - just harming yourself if you **** around of fb in lectures I guess.

ReputationRep:
    My high school blocked facebook and youtube

Heck they even blocked google! :eek:

Just kidding, but they did block youtube :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I dont trust myself lmao

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.