Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please

I'm really struggling to cope with my life at the moment and came here looking for advice or help from anyone. I don't want to 'see a professional' or whatever, involving someone like that seems too real and makes this an even bigger deal which I don't want it to be.

Basically 3 and a half weeks ago I was raped during a night out. I won't go into details but it has ruined me. I can't cope with the emotions and confusion going on in my head I can't make sense of any of it, it is so draining and I can't sleep or think straight. I keep throwing up and feeling dizzy all the time. Constantly having nose bleeds. Mood swings are incredibly unsettling I will go from feeling very numb to all of a sudden in a rage and start biting my hands to try and calm myself down to crying uncontrollably.

I really really don't know what to do, I guess I am asking if anyone here has ever been in this situation and did you manage to get past it? Even if you haven't does anyone have any advice/help?? Please please don't just say go see a councellor I simply will not do it i don't want anyone to know (obviously you all know now but it's different telling people I have never and will never see if you get me).

Thanks for reading

bump took a while to be approved

You already know the best advice, see a professional, but I understand why you don't want to. They will be confidential and you could call an anonymous helpline if you prefer, some form of counselling really would be best, but i'll shut up about that now.

You really need to talk to someone about it, you can't keep it to yourself so somewhere anonymous like here is a good start, you should open up. Do you have any close friends you might consider confiding in? I get that you don't want to and if it was me i know i would definitely want to do anything i did anonymously rather than have everyone know, but you do need to open up or your emotions will remain uncontrollable and repressed traumas can cause serious problems in later life even if you think you have gotten over it for now.

Short term, i don't want to sound like i'm just saying 'take drugs' but something to help you sleep would be good as you need to keep your physical health up to deal with something this emotional and sleep is a part of that.

This wont go away if you ignore it, you need to confront it.

You can't just ignore this, these feelings wont go away until you confront them.
    If you need someone to talk to you can message me if you want

(Original post by Anonymous)
    You already know the best advice, see a professional, but I understand why you don't want to. They will be confidential and you could call an anonymous helpline if you prefer, some form of counselling really would be best, but i'll shut up about that now.

You really need to talk to someone about it, you can't keep it to yourself so somewhere anonymous like here is a good start, you should open up. Do you have any close friends you might consider confiding in? I get that you don't want to and if it was me i know i would definitely want to do anything i did anonymously rather than have everyone know, but you do need to open up or your emotions will remain uncontrollable and repressed traumas can cause serious problems in later life even if you think you have gotten over it for now.

Short term, i don't want to sound like i'm just saying 'take drugs' but something to help you sleep would be good as you need to keep your physical health up to deal with something this emotional and sleep is a part of that.

This wont go away if you ignore it, you need to confront it.
    I know you're right in terms of the best advice is to see a professional I just don't feel anywhere near ready for that, I feel like I would lash out at anyone who would try to help, can't really explain why. I have thought a lot about telling my best friend, she already knows something isn't right I just can't build up the courage to do it and I feel it would be worse if anyone knew. It's humiliating.

Yes I do think getting some sleep would make things a bit easier feel like I'm in some crazy dream world all the time at the moment just so exhausted.

Thank you for your advice this does feel like a positive step posting on here

Hello OP. I posted a thread similar to this the other day, and have experienced some of the same feelings you are going through. I know you don't want professional help but if you feel comfortable going to your GP they might be able to help. They will most likely suggest counselling but you are perfectly entitled to decline it. They may also give you a number for a rape support phoneline, this way you would be able to talk to someone without it being face to face. They might offer you medication which will help you short term, for example my GP prescribed me a weeks worth of diazepam to help me sleep, as I hadn't slept in days, and having a few good nights sleep has helped me to think clearer. Physical health wise, what is really concerning is the vomitting, nosebleeds, dizziness you are experiencing, you should get this checked out. I'd also advise you to confide in family/friends as you need a support system, however I haven't been able to do this myself yet, so I understand that it's easier said then done.

I really hope you start to feel better soon, my heart goes out to you.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello OP. I posted a thread similar to this the other day, and have experienced some of the same feelings you are going through. I know you don't want professional help but if you feel comfortable going to your GP they might be able to help. They will most likely suggest counselling but you are perfectly entitled to decline it. They may also give you a number for a rape support phoneline, this way you would be able to talk to someone without it being face to face. They might offer you medication which will help you short term, for example my GP prescribed me a weeks worth of diazepam to help me sleep, as I hadn't slept in days, and having a few good nights sleep has helped me to think clearer. Physical health wise, what is really concerning is the vomitting, nosebleeds, dizziness you are experiencing, you should get this checked out. I'd also advise you to confide in family/friends as you need a support system, however I haven't been able to do this myself yet, so I understand that it's easier said then done.

I really hope you start to feel better soon, my heart goes out to you.
    Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry that you have experienced these feelings, no one should have to go through this. I hope you are coping ok.

I have looked into helplines so I don't have to tell anyone face to face (as this seems the hardest thing to do at the moment), rapecrisis.org has been a very useful source of info so far and I'm trying to build up the courage to phone the helpline. Thank you again for your advice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.