Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    :facepalm2:

Try looking at the image again Paddy. The prediction and the 26 seats are totally different. The prediction was used by the BBC pre-election results for the real general election. I did remove it, but it looked odd without it so I kept it.
    It says prediction and next to it "26 seats to win".

It isn't a huge jump to assume these are connected and "to win" means nothing on here as nobody needs a majority to form the government.

It's a great imagine, I'm not trying to attack you I'm just saying that I found that bit confusing, and rightly so I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    Surprised/ashamed of the Libertarian Party's relative success. No indication whatsoever of its free market principles that would leave the poor rather more vulnerable than its pro-protest propaganda suggests (which positively suggested it was right there with the lefty teenagers in its picture). Sex and drugs too, what better way to sell yourselves sigh.
    Actually, 2 of the 5 bullet points were related to the economy, both on tax & red tape. Yes, we decided on certain priorities, but I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to achieve what we can rather than what we can't, both on here and in real life. I think it's hard to say that we're being disingenuous, especially when one of our three questions was on the welfare state, and then we also mentioned tax & red tape. Libertarianism is a cocktail of both economic and social postions, and we are right to focus on both, not just one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    It says prediction and next to it "26 seats to win".

It isn't a huge jump to assume these are connected and "to win" means nothing on here as nobody needs a majority to form the government.

It's a great imagine, I'm not trying to attack you I'm just saying that I found that bit confusing, and rightly so I feel.
    Prediction very clearly has a colour next to it which shows that it is a key. Given that we have the actual results, it is safe to assume that we are no longer predicting anything. The 26 seats TO WIN a majority... is well, to win a majority so...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Prediction very clearly has a colour next to it which shows that it is a key. Given that we have the actual results, it is safe to assume that we are no longer predicting anything. The 26 seats TO WIN a majority... is well, to win a majority so...
    I couldn't find what it corresponded to. It doesn't say to win a majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    It wasn't a dig at your school. If you benefitted from your education there then I'm sure you'd want others to benefit from a grammar school education too, wouldn't you?

You mean I did exactly what you just did? Yes, I suppose you're right; I shouldn't lower myself to your level.

Never mind the fact that TSR has a rep system for a reason, clearly it would be "pathetic" of me to use it on an unpleasant little post like that.

I'm not a Libertarian, so why would I take it personally anyway? :rolleyes:
    I don't know what your problem is. I haven't neg repped you because I didn't see anything to neg (I could your two pointless arguments with me but they're not really major enough for me to neg). What does the grammar school point have to do with anything? You attacked me and decided to pick on how I either went to a private school or a grammar school, and I was asking what was your point. Why would a Conservative be using some form of class warfare on me.

My post had nothing to do with you. My one and only attack, in a debate form, was against the Libertarians. Speaking of which...

(Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Actually, 2 of the 5 bullet points were related to the economy, both on tax & red tape. Yes, we decided on certain priorities, but I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to achieve what we can rather than what we can't, both on here and in real life. I think it's hard to say that we're being disingenuous, especially when one of our three questions was on the welfare state, and then we also mentioned tax & red tape. Libertarianism is a cocktail of both economic and social postions, and we are right to focus on both, not just one.
    Anything but chardonnay: this person dealt with my points succinctly calmly and nicely. They've explained their point and I understand - I would say that it was still a little disingenuous in terms of the consequences of tax cutting and how that would affect public services, but I guess it is up to our 'electorate' to draw the simple parallel.

Anywho thank you jesusandtequila; anythingbutchardonnay, there was no need for you to even attack me in the first place. So can we call it quits now, and look I won't even neg you in the pathetic manner you have.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the shameful conduct of some individuals in this thread will not spill over into this parliament's debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Hopefully the shameful conduct of some individuals in this thread will not spill over into this parliament's debates.
    Emphatically seconded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Yeah. Nice to see ABC reciprocally negging people who negged his, frankly shameful, post. A potential new member posts, he first makes a joke at him and negs him, then berates and insults him when he replies to the joke, and is surprised that he gets negged for it? I've no idea what issue he took with anything comrade_jon posted, but if this is how the MHoC treats potential new members, I worry about its future.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Yeah. Nice to see ABC reciprocally negging people who negged his, frankly shameful, post. A potential new member posts, he first makes a joke at him and negs him, then berates and insults him when he replies to the joke, and is surprised that he gets negged for it? I've no idea what issue he took with anything comrade_jon posted, but if this is how the MHoC treats potential new members, I worry about its future.
    Absolutely agree with this and the other posters above you who are speaking on the same topic. What I think is a shame is that this novelty of the House is turning into other areas of TSR which descend into pointless and personal bickering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Absolutely agree with this and the other posters above you who are speaking on the same topic. What I think is a shame is that this novelty of the House is turning into other areas of TSR which descend into pointless and personal bickering.
    I know, it's ridiculous... some people take things too seriously or throw their toys out of the pram when a coalition doesn't work 100% in their favour, eh Toronto :teehee:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I know, it's ridiculous... some people take things too seriously or throw their toys out of the pram when a coalition doesn't work 100% in their favour, eh Toronto :teehee:
    Yeah sort of realised that one was coming. I think both sides perhaps argued a little too much on that one, but hey that's in the past now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sort of realised that one was coming. I think both sides perhaps argued a little too much on that one, but hey that's in the past now.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    That's exactly why I let you three say things first.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :mmm:

I wonder how coalition talks are going :holmes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

It'll be interesting to see what the next government looks like.

ReputationRep:
    I expect that it won't have exactly the same makeup...or will it?

ReputationRep:

Spiffing I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    That would simply not be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    I actually possed ABC for one of his posts, then decided to go back a page and see what I missed. Needless to say, I was not happy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It'll be interesting to see what the next government looks like.
    Indeed.

I hope not

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.