the british justice system: right or wrong?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
just the other day i was reading in the newspaper that a woman has been fined £50 for using the wrong dustbin liners, she has since taken this to court, to me this is just plain insane!! the government are wasting courtroom time on such a petty thing when they could put it to much better use, what do u think??
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
just the other day i was reading in the newspaper that a woman has been fined £50 for using the wrong dustbin liners, she has since taken this to court, to me this is just plain insane!! the government are wasting courtroom time on such a petty thing when they could put it to much better use, what do u think??
Well, that is extreme, but if it wasn't, we wouldn't hear about it.
On the whole, the justice system is correct, but trivial things like this are just ridiculous, and i don't see why it matters what dustbin liners you use within reason.
kissmequick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The problem that often arises is people say who gives you the right to chuck me in a jail I'm my own person because lets be frank it's not the queen anymore because we beleieve in democracy
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well, that is extreme, but if it wasn't, we wouldn't hear about it.
On the whole, the justice system is correct, but trivial things like this are just ridiculous, and i don't see why it matters what dustbin liners you use within reason.
exactly, there are actually people out there checkin these things
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the british justice system: right or wrong??
Now why did I instantly think this was the name of a Chris Morris TV programme?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
The problem that often arises is people say who gives you the right to chuck me in a jail I'm my own person because lets be frank it's not the queen anymore because we beleieve in democracy
Hmm... maybe the whole population of the country should vote on whether a person should be found guilty or innocent, and whether they should be put in jail?
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm... maybe the whole population of the country should vote on whether a person should be found guilty or innocent, and whether they should be put in jail?
haha that would involve voting every odd second
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
exactly, there are actually people out there checkin these things
But were they checking, or did they just happen to notice.
I mean, if the bin liner was bright pink and made out of titanium, well it would be hard not to notice.
And if it was made from shards of glass and stuff, then maybe they should have fined the person.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
haha that would involve voting every odd second
But it would be democratic.
Amy
Rep:
?
thats how it used to be not so long ago, to me that was fair because every1 had a say in the matter, not just the twelve sat in the courtroom
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thats how it used to be not so long ago, to me that was fair because every1 had a say in the matter, not just the twelve sat in the courtroom
True True but it would be a difficult system to manage and would be a hell of a lot of money
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
bubbyyyyyyyeee I'm off for a couple of hours cya all take care xxx
Amy
Rep:
?
But were they checking, or did they just happen to notice.
I mean, if the bin liner was bright pink and made out of titanium, well it would be hard not to notice.
And if it was made from shards of glass and stuff, then maybe they should have fined the person.
it was because she had run out of the council issued 1 and she used her own, the ownly differences was it didnt have the local councils logo on it
Amy
Rep:
?
bubbyyyyyyyeee I'm off for a couple of hours cya all take care xxx
see u later xx
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it's amongst the best, if not the best, judicial systems in the world.

It is pretty much as separated from the executive and legislative branches of government as you can get and it's extremely rare that you hear of a corrupt judge.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it was because she had run out of the council issued 1 and she used her own, the ownly differences was it didnt have the local councils logo on it
[FONT=Sarcastic] See. such an important difference. I mean, that makes all the difference. How dare she use a bag without the council logo on it. Well, if she was that stupid, i'm not surprised of the response.[FONT]
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
True True but it would be a difficult system to manage and would be a hell of a lot of money
I know. I was just saying that democracy cannot be absolute.
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
Now why did I instantly think this was the name of a Chris Morris TV programme?
whos chris morris??
Amy
Rep:
?
[FONT=Sarcastic] See. such an important difference. I mean, that makes all the difference. How dare she use a bag without the council logo on it. Well, if she was that stupid, i'm not surprised of the response.[FONT]
its ridiculous
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Which paper was it in? Have you got a source?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads