This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
its ridiculous
Well, it certainly isn't the first time stuff like that has happened.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Which paper was it in? Have you got a source?
it was in the derby evening telegraph, the monday county issue
dizzzzzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its all just bloody stupid and pathetic. they obviously have nuffin better to do than stress at people with different bin liners.
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dizzzzzy)
its all just bloody stupid and pathetic. they obviously have nuffin better to do than stress at people with different bin liners.
fair enuf, could persue that any further hayley??
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol i new ud say somet like that
dizzzzzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no i cant say more- people like that just plain piss me off!!!!!
Amy
Rep:
?
dont swear please
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Was it this:

Single mum's fury at £50 fine for using wrong bin bag
Jan 21 2004
Crewe Chronicle

AN astonished single mum has been slapped with a £50 on-the-spot fine for putting rubbish out in the wrong type of black bin bag.

Lynette Vickers says she is prepared to go to court rather than pay the fine for rubbish she left in black bin bags instead of council-issued black sacks.

The mum-of-four couldn't believe it when council community wardens handed her the fine.

They claimed her bin bags had caused an obstruction on the pavement and had been put out too early.

Now Lynette, 36, of Nutfield Avenue, Crewe is locked in a tussle with council chiefs who say the wardens were only doing their job and she must pay up.

She said: 'It all started when I missed a New Year collection leaving my bin full.

'A notice on top of my wheelie bin said extra bags would be taken if collections were missed due to bank holidays and I put mine out at 7pm for collection next day at 8am.

'Unbelievably, I am now being fined. When they turned up telling me I had used the wrong bin bags I thought they were joking. No one has used any common sense over this.'

Miss Vickers, who lives on benefits, is demanding the fine is quashed. She said: 'I am a single mum and I would rather feed my kids and send them to school in decent clothes than pay a ridiculous fine.

'The council has to realise £50 is a lot of money to families like us.They can take me to court and I will stand my ground.'

The mother of Jason 16, Lauren 15, Samuel 11 and Niamh, four faces a court fine of up to £2,500 for late payment.

Police-trained wardens were introduced last summer by Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council in a bid to clean up streets by issuing on-the-spot fines to litterbugs and people who allow pets to foul public places.

Council wardens manager Keith Boughey said: 'I am standing by the decision. We don't collect bags of rubbish in areas with wheelie bins, unless there has been a missed collection and the rubbish is left in a council bag.

'As far as Miss Vickers' being told the rubbish had been left out too early and it was causing an obstruction, I stand by this and I believe the wardens executed their duties in the correct manner.'

He said rubbish attracted rats and leaving it out too early was an example of residents not using common sense.

If it is then I'm not surprised...anyone with any sense knows that you can't just use bin bags in a wheely bin area and if they were obstructing the pavement and she put them out that early (if she was going to bed at 7pm then I'm sure she could have been up before 8am....and if she wasn't going to be that early why put the bin out at that time?)

Why should the council and the people who don't produce bags of extra rubbish have to pay for people who do - if you create more rubbish than will fit in a wheely bin over a fortnight then you should have to pay a little bit extra to get rid of it (either through taking it to the tip yourself or paying for a strong council issue bin bag).
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yup. no fair i cant go paris. oh well.
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Was it this:

Single mum's fury at £50 fine for using wrong bin bag
Jan 21 2004
Crewe Chronicle

AN astonished single mum has been slapped with a £50 on-the-spot fine for putting rubbish out in the wrong type of black bin bag.

Lynette Vickers says she is prepared to go to court rather than pay the fine for rubbish she left in black bin bags instead of council-issued black sacks.

The mum-of-four couldn't believe it when council community wardens handed her the fine.

They claimed her bin bags had caused an obstruction on the pavement and had been put out too early.

Now Lynette, 36, of Nutfield Avenue, Crewe is locked in a tussle with council chiefs who say the wardens were only doing their job and she must pay up.

She said: 'It all started when I missed a New Year collection leaving my bin full.

'A notice on top of my wheelie bin said extra bags would be taken if collections were missed due to bank holidays and I put mine out at 7pm for collection next day at 8am.

'Unbelievably, I am now being fined. When they turned up telling me I had used the wrong bin bags I thought they were joking. No one has used any common sense over this.'

Miss Vickers, who lives on benefits, is demanding the fine is quashed. She said: 'I am a single mum and I would rather feed my kids and send them to school in decent clothes than pay a ridiculous fine.

'The council has to realise £50 is a lot of money to families like us.They can take me to court and I will stand my ground.'

The mother of Jason 16, Lauren 15, Samuel 11 and Niamh, four faces a court fine of up to £2,500 for late payment.

Police-trained wardens were introduced last summer by Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council in a bid to clean up streets by issuing on-the-spot fines to litterbugs and people who allow pets to foul public places.

Council wardens manager Keith Boughey said: 'I am standing by the decision. We don't collect bags of rubbish in areas with wheelie bins, unless there has been a missed collection and the rubbish is left in a council bag.

'As far as Miss Vickers' being told the rubbish had been left out too early and it was causing an obstruction, I stand by this and I believe the wardens executed their duties in the correct manner.'

He said rubbish attracted rats and leaving it out too early was an example of residents not using common sense.

If it is then I'm not surprised...anyone with any sense knows that you can't just use bin bags in a wheely bin area and if they were obstructing the pavement and she put them out that early (if she was going to bed at 7pm then I'm sure she could have been up before 8am....and if she wasn't going to be that early why put the bin out at that time?)

Why should the council and the people who don't produce bags of extra rubbish have to pay for people who do - if you create more rubbish than will fit in a wheely bin over a fortnight then you should have to pay a little bit extra to get rid of it (either through taking it to the tip yourself or paying for a strong council issue bin bag).
thats the 1, i see ur point but if they were obstucting the pavement why was it so hard for the warden just to ask for them to be moved rather than giving her an on the spot fine?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
thats the 1, i see ur point but if they were obstucting the pavement why was it so hard for the warden just to ask for them to be moved rather than giving her an on the spot fine?
But then why should the warden have to lug round her rubbish - if you want your rubbish collected it's only fair for the council to expect you to follow their rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd had a big leafleting/publicity campaign when the wardens started work letting people know that if they broke these rules they would get an instant fine.

This might have been the first time she did something like this but then there might be people who do this every week and the only thing the council can do is to start fining them.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads