Turn on thread page Beta

Dealing with an arrogant friend... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I basically have a bit of a problem concerning a friend who is extremely arrogant about himself and frequently puts others down. I am in year 11, and doing well at GCSEs, better than him to be fair, yet he likes to put me down in front of my mates and others including teachers.

I suffer from a mild mental disorder which resulted in me being held back a year in year 1. Obviously, basic maths lets everyone work out I am too old for the current year group. He picked up on this, and obviously everyone knows now, but we're now past the bullying from the immature people, (They may have realised I will end up with a better life in the future!)

No big deal, I started year 10 looking to just get my 5 A*-Cs, now I am looking at mostly A*s with a smattering of As. Shows a bit of elbow grease goes a long way! I quietly get on with my work and don't boast about grades or anything and am immensely proud of my achievements so far. I think my teachers are recognising this from reports, conversations etc.

I have a fairly small group of mates of which I am close to, and generally get on well with others at school. On any occasion when I we get a result for a test/exam, this guy snatches my results sheet from me, if I get a higher mark he loudly exclaims how I have had an extra year of education than him and am a 'cheat', or if he got better, boasts endlessly. I think most people have regognised his arrogance, but it is highly degenerative. I realise it is good to be assertive in life, but not to such an extent that even when we are at lunch, when he has a chocolate bar, he thrusts it out of his bag, waves it in front of the group and exclaims:
    "I've got a chocolate bar!!! What have YOU got?" I mean come on, we're 16!

There is more to this than that, but you get the basic jist of it.

Any advice people?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this guy your friend?

ReputationRep:
    http://wtfhub.com/wp-content/uploads...y-painting.jpg

Show him this

ReputationRep:
    It's a family thing unfortunately, it would be very awkward if I bailed out, I'm hoping to lose touch slowly starting Sixth Form and eventually uni.

ReputationRep:
    And people actually talk to this guy...?

ReputationRep:
    kill him it's your only option!

ReputationRep:
    This guy cannot possibly exist.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing you can do. Move on. Little point wasting time making threads about it.

ReputationRep:
    lol you realise he is just joking around right if he says it with a smile or a laugh then he is definitely joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jw297)
    Hi everyone.

I basically have a bit of a problem concerning a friend who is extremely arrogant about himself and frequently puts others down. I am in year 11, and doing well at GCSEs, better than him to be fair, yet he likes to put me down in front of my mates and others including teachers.

I suffer from a mild mental disorder which resulted in me being held back a year in year 1. Obviously, basic maths lets everyone work out I am too old for the current year group. He picked up on this, and obviously everyone knows now, but we're now past the bullying from the immature people, (They may have realised I will end up with a better life in the future!)

No big deal, I started year 10 looking to just get my 5 A*-Cs, now I am looking at mostly A*s with a smattering of As. Shows a bit of elbow grease goes a long way! I quietly get on with my work and don't boast about grades or anything and am immensely proud of my achievements so far. I think my teachers are recognising this from reports, conversations etc.

I have a fairly small group of mates of which I am close to, and generally get on well with others at school. On any occasion when I we get a result for a test/exam, this guy snatches my results sheet from me, if I get a higher mark he loudly exclaims how I have had an extra year of education than him and am a 'cheat', or if he got better, boasts endlessly. I think most people have regognised his arrogance, but it is highly degenerative. I realise it is good to be assertive in life, but not to such an extent that even when we are at lunch, when he has a chocolate bar, he thrusts it out of his bag, waves it in front of the group and exclaims:

Any advice people?
    TBH this is the exact kind of moronic thing that I would do in a social setting.

Where oh where is my sense of self respect?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let anything he says get you down, when you get to college there will be people who took a year out / resits so will be the same age. If you go on to university there will be people ranging from 18 - 30 so 1 year difference in age means nothing !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jw297)
    I realise it is good to be assertive in life, but not to such an extent that even when we are at lunch, when he has a chocolate bar, he thrusts it out of his bag, waves it in front of the group and exclaims:
    He sounds hilarious! I like him.

ReputationRep:
    Friend:

–noun

a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

a person who gives assistance.

a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile.

Nope, he doesn't fit those bills. How's about:

********:

–noun

Any guy who insists that only he is right

Any guy that treats other like ****.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, I'm thinking the question should be:

"How to deal with an arrogant ********".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jw297)
    Hi everyone.

Any advice people?
    If you make friends with complete ********s, don't be surprised when they act like an ********s to you.

Get rid of him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jw297)
    Hi everyone.

Any advice people?
    He'll soon be forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to different colleges/6th forms you won't see much of each other?

or to put it another way...

most people's group of friends changes somewhat when they start college - and he'll be one of the people you drift apart from, just grin and bear it for now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.