Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

One Night Stands.... purely physical.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    One night Stands.... your views....
    I am a first year student at uni and I wanted to know what people views were on one night stands? Before I started uni, I was quite clear in my opinions in what I felt was wrong and right, and now since Ive started uni, everything different, Im confused about whats right and worng anymore and I feel as though I have lost myself a little, as i always thought I knoew myself. But I guess Uni is about finding yourself aswell...

well just wondered, are one night stands wrong or right in your opinion? Starting uni, it seems as though everyone has or has had a one night stand/(s) my friend admitted to few one night stands, and she lost her virginity during a one night stand,which she now regrets, although she did want a relationship with the guy.... she's now madly inlove with her longterm BF which is really sweet...

If you asked me a few years ago i would have said one night stands are wrong... now im not so sure.... i like the idea of having freedom, to do as you please with whom you please, and I think if ur happy then it's acceptable... I dunno not so sure??? ..... anyone.......

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with them
    dont see other getting all clingy and married

ReputationRep:
    im not really a fan of them tbh, seem quite seedy lol don't get me wrong, i don't frown on those who have them... unless they've had **** loads

ReputationRep:
    There isnt anything wrong with them, so long as u both consent.
    However, in a few years time you will prob regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Both of you know what you're getting into..? Then fine, crack on, plenty of fun.

It's when one side doesn't know it's a ONS that it can get dodgy...

ReputationRep:
    As long and everythings safe and legal and consenting then do what you want

ReputationRep:
    it's risky..it can turn out horribly wrong..
    i've never had a 1night stand but i duno i'm trying to be obejctive :s

A little bit slutty IMO - why not just get into a proper relationship? Then again, I attract no one so I wouldn't know what's it's like to be in any situation

ReputationRep:
    They're fun as long as you don't see anything more in it. The first time, the guy convinced me afterwards that it actually meant something. I made the mistake of believing him and payed dearly later on.
    Just enjoy your youth the way you see fit. Remember, it's only there once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A little bit slutty IMO - why not just get into a proper relationship? Then again, I attract no one so I wouldn't know what's it's like to be in any situation
    It's not slutty... and sometimes the purely physical side of things is better without all the emotional crap and compromises that come with the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahrascal)
    im not really a fan of them tbh, seem quite seedy lol don't get me wrong, i don't frown on those who have them... unless they've had **** loads

whats considered 'loads' lol>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    it's risky..it can turn out horribly wrong..
    i've never had a 1night stand but i duno i'm trying to be obejctive :s

Ive not either...but when im out.... its too tempting, ive had chances but i dunnnoo... i dnt wana regret it....

ReputationRep:
    Do not be so hard on yourself. I am sure you will meet someone you like in time.

I am ambivalent to be honest; the problem seems to be people's justification. For example, I think anyone who is honest will say that you have better sex not only when you are in a relationship, but when you have been in one for while. It is not complicated. You have someone who knows what you like and arouses you. The chances, therefore, of finding someone who can achieve the same level of arousal and pleasure in the space of an evening - when you are likely to be intoxicated, thus lack appropriate judgement - seems to me unlikely.

Of course, if people were more honest and just said that they like the thrill of the unknown sexual encounter then I could completely understand that.

ReputationRep:

lol..... im sure u do.....
    yes but then proper relationships i guess are time-consumign and complicated and a bit messy, and these are just purely physical, no emotions.....
    Again saying i have never had a serious or meaningless relationship... so these are just assumptions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NPhere)
    whats considered 'loads' lol>
    If you've not had any, it doesn't really matter, no? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Récamier)
    They're fun as long as you don't see anything more in it. The first time, the guy convinced me afterwards that it actually meant something. I made the mistake of believing him and payed dearly later on.
    Just enjoy your youth the way you see fit. Remember, it's only there once.

this is what i want to hear/ think, but subconsciously theres something in the back of my mind saying no.... argh....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NPhere)
    Ive not either...but when im out.... its too tempting, ive had chances but i dunnnoo... i dnt wana regret it....
    it's especially tempting if you've been single for a long time i guess:confused:
    with 1 night stands comes regret.maybe catching a disease,maybe being filmed,maybe doing it with someone wron who you wil have to see again..and many other rubbish possibilities :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    If you've not had any, it doesn't really matter, no? :p:

lol.. i suppose, i dnt no whats acceptable these days.... lol.. im pretty lost...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    it's especially tempting if you've been single for a long time i guess:confused:
    with 1 night stands comes regret.maybe catching a disease,maybe being filmed,maybe doing it with someone wron who you wil have to see again..and many other rubbish possibilities :s
    You can still get all that with a relationship, or any 'source' of sex. ONSs are no more or less dangerous. Depends how you go about it, too... If it's just a randomer from a pub/club, then yeah, you're playing a risky game... but if you choose differently you eliminate those risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's not slutty... and sometimes the purely physical side of things is better without all the emotional crap and compromises that come with the relationship.
    now that is what i mean.... sex without the emotional crap...etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.