Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeeasa)
    where i live their are ALWAYS jobs in catering/hospitality, not that many in retail and a fair few in logistics. Maybe its who you know, not what you know.. ive always found that saying very fitting
    this is most likely true

which is why we need ema you cant expect everyone to know someone to get them a job

people on the dole end up with extra money for doing nothing

why shouldn't people who are actually trying to better themselves

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for the concept of affordable education, and funding it for people who genuinely cannot afford the expenses (food, travel, books, etc). But I think the old EMA system was too wasteful and money was going to far too many people who simply didn't need it. Also I think the real reason for EMA was to bribe kids into staying in education. Remember the adverts for it? They went on about how you can get paid for going to college/6th form. But that's not how it should it be. You shouldn't be getting paid to be educated, you should be getting funding for your education. Saying you get paid for it implies that you'll have significant spending money left over. That's not how it should work, EMA should cover your expenses and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    1 - We NEED a scheme like EMA. Be it giving cash or free passes / vouchers or whatever. It is needed.

2 - Obviously peoples experiences with it are polarised. But I know a lot of people who would not have been able to go to sixth form or college without it.

3 - I am slightly worried with the replacement they have announced because the sixth forms / colleges themselves will be in charge of it. We've already seen the mess they made of EMA (not giving it to people when it should be, giving it late, giving it to people even though they have missed school etc etc) so god knows what will happen now.

(Original post by Atheist Britain)
    We did not need EMA 10 years ago and we don't need it today
    How old were you 10 years ago? 8? So yeah. You really have no clue.

where i live their are ALWAYS jobs in catering/hospitality, not that many in retail and a fair few in logistics. Maybe its who you know, not what you know.. ive always found that saying very fitting
    Or perhaps its to do with where you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilingsam)
    Shame ive ran out of neggs today, your post was going to be one for sure because of your stupidness. There are many people out there that use it for the actual means just because some students waste it on alcohol doesnt mean all of them do.
    Of all the people I knew who were on EMA, only one person used it for it's intended person.

It was a good idea badly implemented, it should have been managed like an expenses system, money given to people based on their travel costs (ie, provide receipts of bus fares and recieve that money back) the costs of equipment (again, provide receipts) and other such expenses.

I mean, seriously, a bonus for turning up to lessons?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i spent most of mine on books. books ive never read >_< lol. but it can be useful.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OP. While for a very few people EMA may be neccessary, for most it is just spent on clothes, alcohol etc. Who needs £30 a week for books? even travel - it's unlikely anyone's spending more than £10 a week. It should be scrapped, not because it would force people to get a job (they shouldn't have to do that) but because its simply unneccessary - parent should continue to provide for their children until they leave home at 18 - they still get child benefit. Parents who kick their children out at 16, or refuse to pay for anything for them at 16, should be treated the same way as if they kicked out a younger child - irresponsible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was on the full 30 quid a week it helped a lot. But personally I think a better system would be free public transport and vouchers for stationary.

ReputationRep:
    It is funny. Students or young people have the free opportunity for further education, for free, they don't have to pay for it, then and there. Yet in other countries, people would die to get that sort of education, but we hand out money every week so that students turn up and participate in further education. I find that absolutely ludicrous. /My opinion

EMA is said to increase the amount of people attending further education. The incentive being money. I can see that type of idea can work pretty well. So I can understand that. But I don't think it is as well a targeted than it should be. In these economic times, I don't think it can be afforded. What the Conservatives are introducing is a new system to those who actually do need the extra money to go into college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    It was a good idea badly implemented, it should have been managed like an expenses system, money given to people based on their travel costs (ie, provide receipts of bus fares and recieve that money back) the costs of equipment (again, provide receipts) and other such expenses.

I'm afraid that idea would never work, people who use the EMA for the real reasons cant even spare the cost for bus fair without normally cutting the family short on other things. That is how hard it is normally on the family, but it did get out of hand because it was not regularly checked.

ReputationRep:
    Im in my first year of Sixthform and i've came to realise EMA is one of those things that are mostly an absoloute waste because about basically every single person i know that recieves it apart from one just wastes it in alcohol, not what its aimed for. Its just given to chavs who cant be arsed getting a part time job and would rather scrounge off the government. Im glad EMA is being scrapped as it means that it can go towards better things such as funding our education system, NHS etc

People shouldn't have to be 'bribed' to go onto Further Education, they should want to in order to better themselves and increase their chances of getting a well paid job. I voiced these opinions once in sixthform wich resulted in being verbally abused by a 5''2 ****gy chav and being called a 'stuck up snob'.
    Peoples opinions on EMA?
    EMA is a F*****G joke. At my old school, you had various degenerates staying on in order to get the money. Did they do anything worthwhile? No. They failed their prelims, exams and units. Did they show any dissatisfaction with their abilities? No, they were perfectly happy.

I didn't get EMA, but I did a hell of a lot better than those people. For that reason, EMA just is not needed. As a report recently indicated, most people who get EMA use it for luxuries, not for transport as Labour repeatedly lie about.

ReputationRep:
    Im in my first year of Sixthform and i've came to realise EMA is one of those things that are mostly an absoloute waste because about basically every single person i know that recieves it apart from one just wastes it in alcohol, not what its aimed for?
    I before E except after C.

Obvs the EMA system was flawed but it did help some of those who genuinely needed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    Of all the people I knew who were on EMA, only one person used it for it's intended person.

The problem with that is you are only really punishing the people who do really need it.
    For those, they cannot afford to pay travel costs and stuff upfront. That is part of the point of EMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Waste of money, it was a ridiculous policy in the first place to literally hand out money to students. The only help if any should be in vouchers for travel and use in college for food.
    exactly this

dont any one ever mention it to my mum she goes on a HUGE rant... about how everyones the same at 16.

my friends got top amount and would buy her weekly bus ticket with it then go shopping on a wed afternoon (we finished at 2) and spend the rest. which i could never afford to do because i didnt get anything, and my mum couldnt afford to give me the same, i got £10 a week for lunches.

another of my friends used to save all of hers up n go on holiday with it... nice...
    using it for credit was the only other thing i ever saw it used for...

x

ReputationRep:
    its not a waste of money, it allows poor kids to see what having money is like. it puts us on the same level as our richer counterparts, means we can afford the things that they can. you are a stuck up snob, you dirty yuppie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    about how everyones the same at 16.
    Except they aren't though are they.
    The students who are in need of EMA cannot just go and ask their parents to pay £15 or £20 a week for the bus / train for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Except they aren't though are they.
    The students who are in need of EMA cannot just go and ask their parents to pay £15 or £20 a week for the bus / train for them.
    as i said thats my mums rant go take that up with her...

i think something should be provided but not money, money has too many options.......schools manage well enough to provide travel and food for those who cant afford it... we had tokens for both at the school i went to why cant colleges...
    x

(Original post by Lordcomic)
    its not a waste of money, it allows poor kids to see what having money is like. it puts us on the same level as our richer counterparts, means we can afford the things that they can. you are a stuck up snob, you dirty yuppie...
    so im a "richer counterpart" because i didnt get ema
    but i couldnt afford what the "poor kids" could because i didnt get ema... yep sounds like that makes it fair...
    ~

*rolls eyes* things arent that black and white...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordcomic)
    I received EMA since my family didn't earn under a certain threshold and I was living with my sister who was considered my guardian and she did not earn anywhere near the thresh hold. I would have considered us poor in the sense we couldn't afford things we wanted. But we could afford things we needed. Though the internet was one of those things we didn't need, but I could afford it.

Why? Because I had a job. If we have this culture where we just keep handing money out, what does that teach our kids? Or what does that teach people in a time of economic hardship where there isn't money to just give away.

I can understand giving money for travel, luckily I lived in London, where travel was free up to a certain age. But the rest I paid for, even my own rent with my sister I paid for and it was a manageable living.

But EMA is not the way to promote education. Education for a brighter future is the way to promote it all. Otherwise that student might as well not be there if he or she is just there for the money. Which by the way a lot of students were there for, just for the EMA.

I mean it isn't hard to get a job for gods sakes rather than expecting the government to give you everything. I mean you have a free education you aren't paying for, stop asking for more and start doing things yourself! /rant

Sorry that wasn't all directed at you!

ReputationRep:
    I use mine to bolster my savings - it's such a total waste of money for the government. I'll probably end up spending it on boots for rugby or something lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilingsam)
    I'm afraid that idea would never work, people who use the EMA for the real reasons cant even spare the cost for bus fair without normally cutting the family short on other things. That is how hard it is normally on the family, but it did get out of hand because it was not regularly checked.
    Maybe there could be a system that's a little bit like a loan, but not a loan exactly, because they wouldn't have to pay back any money they've actually been given.

Each month the students would be given however much money to cover the next month. Lets say £30 a week so £120 a month. At the end of the month they have to provide receipts or other evidence for what they spent it on. For small amounts their word would be taken, so it's not overly strict. Whatever money is left unaccounted for is taken out of the next months payment, as it's assumed they still have that money left over.

So the idea is they're given money upfront to pay for their education, but it means they can't just spend it on whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    they never pay it anyway so dont worry it wont be missed LOL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.