Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    EEK! I've got my Higher History Extended Essay next Monday and I've just finished perfecting the final draft. Now I've got to learn it. It's over 3000 words long and I'm panicking over how I'm going to learn it off by heart as well being able to write it all in two hours.

Its 30% of my final Higher History mark so its a verrrry big deal...

If anyone's done the exam or has any otherwise helpful advice, I'd be really grateful.

ReputationRep:
    I have to remember three 1,500-word essays (thus 4,500 words) for my law exam in June. If I were you, I would produce a typed copy of the essay and simply edit it and learn each paragraph regardless of how tiresome it may be. The human brain is most effective when used in an ordely manner; imprinting an order of points/paragraphs of your essay into your mind is thus the natural solution.

However, for history, evidence must be learned and then historiography.

ReputationRep:
    Wells its going to be impossible to learn the whole thing word for word in a week. I had to do something quite similar so what I did was completely learn the intro and conclusion (not that hard at all) and then for each paragraph in between I literally summarised each one into one or two words. so it looked like

1. Intro
    2. background
    3. Inflation
    4. growth
    5. consequences
    6. conclusion

Then I put the above on a massive poster in my room and also copied it onto a a revision card. Additionally then I also put useful dates and facts on a few other revision cards. this with combined with me reading it just a few times. And i got a first.

You could also try (if you have the gear) recording on a dictaphone and playing it back/listening to it at nights.

ReputationRep:
    Never had to do it - but maybe the first sentence of each paragraph... the topic sentence

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies so far

Forgot to mention the question :"To what extent did failings of the Weimar Government influence the rise of Nazism in Germany?"

If anyone has any knowledge of this area then is this structure OK to you?

Intro

Weimar

"Despite importance of this...other important factors..."

Treaty of Versailles

Appeal of Fascism

Influence of Great Depression

The Political Deal
    (Hindenburg, von Papen etc)

Conclusion

ReputationRep:
    I did an almost exact essay. I'd talk about the great depression before the appeal of fascism. Its sets it up nicely when explaining how tough economic times plus how Germany had to pay millions(billions in todays money) in reparations after the war basically screwed them up and then Nazism basically came along with all the answers. (figuratively speaking)

ReputationRep:
    Just try and remember an important part of each paragraph , usually triggers the rest of it to come to my mind..

ReputationRep:
    I had mine a couple of weeks ago it was about 2,500. What i did was to revise was i took the essay in paragraphs - i read through each paragraph and made a note of the key points, tried to memorise them, then practice writing it out, then when i'd done that for the whole essay i tried writing it out in full and after a couple of times it started to stick in my head. Also when you practice writing it out make a note of any parts you are getting stuck remembering and put them in your plan, i also put staters for every paragraph and quotes in my plan which helped a lot. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I had a prepared essay in my degree so not completely appropriate for you I think it's still relevant. The way I learnt it was to break it down into an essay plan and then learn that. Mine was a mind-map because that's how I plan best. I put all the detail on the mind map so case studies, figures, sources etc. and made sure as hell I knew that. I drew it out over and over again until I hadn't forgotten anything. I honestly (and slightly stupidly) didn't write the actual essay until the exam, having had a bit more time I would have done it a few times beforehand. Anyway, because my plan was so detailed it was merely a case of stringing together everything with some actual sentences so it wasn't too bad. I suggest you could try to do the same because I doubt you'll be able to learn 3000 words in the time! Also, I managed to scrape up my fairly shoddy coursework in that module to a good grade so it did work!

ReputationRep:
    Remember you have a plan! Use it to it's full advantage - shorten everything, cut out all unimportant words but do not abbreviate unless it is a common abbreviation.

The Weimar Republic = Weimar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth..)
    I had mine a couple of weeks ago it was about 2,500. What i did was to revise was i took the essay in paragraphs - i read through each paragraph and made a note of the key points, tried to memorise them, then practice writing it out, then when i'd done that for the whole essay i tried writing it out in full and after a couple of times it started to stick in my head. Also when you practice writing it out make a note of any parts you are getting stuck remembering and put them in your plan, i also put staters for every paragraph and quotes in my plan which helped a lot. Good luck
    If you don't mind me asking:

How was timing for you on the exam day?

ReputationRep:
    The way I done it was simply summarise every paragraph with maybe about 10 or 11 short bullet points. These were easy enough to remember and after having read over it quite a lot these bullet points often triggered my memory and I remembered quite a large amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotland369)
    If you don't mind me asking:

How was timing for you on the exam day?
    It was going fine, i had around 20minutes left and i was just about to start my conclusion and then the fire alarm went off. When we went back in my conclusion only took about 10 minutes so i had time to check over the essay. Im quite a slow writer and i found there was plenty of time. My friend's essay was about the same length as yours,over 3000 words, and he finished before me so im sure you wont have any worries with the timing if you write at a reasonable speed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth..)
    It was going fine, i had around 20minutes left and i was just about to start my conclusion and then the fire alarm went off. When we went back in my conclusion only took about 10 minutes so i had time to check over the essay. Im quite a slow writer and i found there was plenty of time. My friend's essay was about the same length as yours,over 3000 words, and he finished before me so im sure you wont have any worries with the timing if you write at a reasonable speed
    Unlucky about the fire alarm- if that happened to me during the exam I'd have a seizure!

Anyhoo- this is VERY reassuring- Fanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did mine a couple of weeks back, and I memorised 2700 words in 4 nights, it was possible, but it was a struggle. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to write mine so I expect you'll be fine time wise. If you don't want to learn the whole thing (most people thought I was slightly mad) learn your quotes and historical argument as well as your introduction and conclusion.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I didn't do Scottish Highers but for my history A Level, I did an extended essay of 3000 which I had to write up in exam conditions.

I don't know about you, but I could have 100 words of notes to take in with me but I also was able to recite the almost entire essay out my heart. I just took it paragraph by paragraph and learnt it- it wasn't always word for word perfect but pretty damn close and it certainly stuck to the topic of the paragraphs etc.

I did it over a couple of weeks and didn't actually find it too hard- just practised it over and over lots. My friend also did the same.

Good luck- you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Hi, I didn't do Scottish Highers but for my history A Level, I did an extended essay of 3000 which I had to write up in exam conditions.

I don't know about you, but I could have 100 words of notes to take in with me but I also was able to recite the almost entire essay out my heart. I just took it paragraph by paragraph and learnt it- it wasn't always word for word perfect but pretty damn close and it certainly stuck to the topic of the paragraphs etc.

I did it over a couple of weeks and didn't actually find it too hard- just practised it over and over lots. My friend also did the same.

Good luck- you'll be fine.
    Thank you!
    I feel so spoiled now- we're allowed 200 words of notes
    To be fair though, we do five subjects instead of three and only get 80 UCAS points per A!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotland369)
    Thank you!
    I feel so spoiled now- we're allowed 200 words of notes
    To be fair though, we do five subjects instead of three and only get 80 UCAS points per A!
    Also, a tip for the notes, be really selective with your words. I had lots of symbols etc for mine to cut down on the words used.

I can't think of a specific example that I had in mine (but 'twas a while ago ) but things like =/= for 'doesn't mean that...' or whatever and I had single words that triggerd thought processes or to jog my memory of that particlar section.

Good luck again!

EDIT:If it was you who repped me, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    EDIT:If it was you who repped me, thanks.
    thank you for your very helpful advice!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I did my extended essay a couple of weeks ago now and to do well you just need to use your plan, really think about what is important you have in your plan that is in the 200 word limits. Also 3000 words is a long essay, do you really think you can re write that in 2 hours, a boy in my class had a 3100 word essay and it took him an extra hour to finish it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.