Turn on thread page Beta

He left me for another girl, i'm still not over it and haven't dated since. watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I just feel like my first serious relationship is lording over my entire love life. It ended just over a year ago now (we were together for 2 and half years), with him leaving me for another girl (although he didn't tell me that when he broke up with me...I found out over Facebook. Brill.)

Ever since then I just feel like my ego took a complete bashing, it still really really upsets me at times and I question myself constantly as to why I wasn't good enough for him to want to carry on our relationship and why this other girl (his boss and 4 years his senior) was. Even more frustratingly, he is still with said girl and I haven't dated properly since. I've had one night stands, which was fun for a while, but now I just find it quite depressing as I feel like that's all i'm good for.

Just wondering if anyone was in the same boat, I really don't know how to get my confidence back up I'm not completely horrendous looking and my personality's alright I think, but it's like I'm scared of getting involved in anything for fear of being hurt again.

ReputationRep:
    the only way you're ever gonna be able to get back out there is if you put aside that fear of being hurt and just fully go into something. its only natural that in your case your confidence would be low but unless you take a risk and put yourself out there and that fear aside, you're gonna stay stuck in that position.

ReputationRep:
    Cool username.

ReputationRep:
    If your profile picture is you, then you've definitely not got anything to worry about on the looks side of thing...

It's as cheesecake said, yeah, you've got that lingering doubt inside your head and it'll stay there until you tell it to shut up and go away. I took bashing years back, never got over it quickly enough at the time, it doesn't so much as haunt me now, but I definitely regret not doing something about it sooner.

Get back on the horse

[Oh, and if you've got Paris Hilton's nose... give it back!]

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've been in a pretty similar situation over the past year and I think the time comes where you just have to gamble on something again. Probably a good idea to avoid one nighters, it's a bit of an empty boost.

You say they're still together - the most important thing of all is to not know that sort of stuff. To move on you have to completely remove him and anything he is doing from your life and focus on what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imonlysleeping)
    Yeah I've been in a pretty similar situation over the past year and I think the time comes where you just have to gamble on something again. Probably a good idea to avoid one nighters, it's a bit of an empty boost.

You say they're still together - the most important thing of all is to not know that sort of stuff. To move on you have to completely remove him and anything he is doing from your life and focus on what you're doing.
    Exactly that's true.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.