Turn on thread page Beta

Saudis to build world's tallest skyscraper - double the size of the Burj Khalifa! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think such a building would ruin any skyline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramox3)
    Better than the world wars arm race in my opinion, at least its peaceful!
    I also heard Kuwait and Qatar had there plans.
    Yea, last year I heard Kuwait wanted to make a 1,000 meter building.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I'm fairly certain the average Saudi would rather have a decent constitution and no corruption, or the godforsaken Pakistani slave labourers would rather have some basic human rights. Same goes for Bahrain, UAE, etc.

These Arab states literally revolt me, they're the most unclassy, uncultured places on the planet. They think by making endless skyscrapers that shows how "cultured" and "modern" they are...whilst most of their citizens live in poverty.
    Most Arab citizens don't live in poverty, although they do treat Asian immigrants like crap with absolutely no rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nalced)
    Saudis....gotta love them. I spent 15 years there, and they're still full of surprises. WHY!?!

I'm from the Eastern Province and in the last 5 years they have made fairly tall office blocks, and I'm certain...they're still empty. I can't wait to see when they're finished with it and the oil runs out, what they're going to fill it up with?

OH, I miss living in Saudi Arabia. My favourite joke in Saudi was " Shalom! ". LOL, I'm so insensitive.
    I dont get the "shalom" joke ? Why is hello in Hebrew an insensitive joke ?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, but it kinda looks scary you could probably live your life in that building with flats/shopping malls/gyms/restaurants would you actually need to ever leave the building lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I bet people are already planning to BASE jump off it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atheist Britain)

And personally speaking, I think arab culture is primitive, barabaric, backwards and generally awful
    The next time you use the word Algebra, Algorithm, Alcohol, Chemistry, or use the Arabic numerals ( 1234.. ) , or drink your Coffee or use all the trigonometric functions besides sine, or make use of the law of refraction , or even listen to the Guitar and the list can go on forever.., remember that these things where a product of that "primitive and barbaric culture".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

These Arab states literally revolt me, they're the most unclassy, uncultured places on the planet. They think by making endless skyscrapers that shows how "cultured" and "modern" they are...whilst most of their citizens live in poverty.
    I thought exploiting the poor was exactly what a modern, prosperous nation does.

ReputationRep:
    The next time you use the word Algebra, Algorithm, Alcohol, Chemistry, or use the Arabic numerals ( 1234.. ) , or drink your Coffee or use all the trigonometric functions besides sine, or make use of the law of refraction , or even listen to the Guitar and the list can go on forever.., remember that these things where a product of that "primitive and barbaric culture".
    Arab culture is primitive, backwards, barbaric and inherently awful. I stand by this statment and Arabs developing algebra does not change my sentiments. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont get the "shalom" joke ? Why is hello in Hebrew an insensitive joke ?
    Well, Saudi Arabia is so anti-Jewish, it makes Nazi Germany seem like noobs. The newspapers are always full of Anti-Jewish/Israel comics (The Arab News).
    Its basically, illegal to be Jewish. Well, illegal to be anything but if your Jewish, Israel stamp in passport, they won't let you in.

THEY HATE EVERYTHING, ANYTHING JEWISH. but, the thing I always find funny is that the Arabs and Jews are like brothers, they very close culture and language and I wish not to insult any Muslims but, before Muhammed came, most Muslims where Jewish or Jewish related in terms of religion.

Hebrew: Shalom
    Arabic: Salam

Both mean peace/hello. I find it funny just because it's highlighting how close they are, similar in history and culture and all. Yet in Saudi, TV and Newspapers, they talk of Jews like they're an evil alien race, or disease that needs to be wipe off the face of the earth. - oh, and anything Jewish related is just plan wrong, but I'm not anti-Saudi, just anti-Wahhabism. You got no idea how many times I get in trouble with the Mutawas.
    Once- They accused me of dressing like a woman.

ReputationRep:
    they'd better hope an earthquake doesn't come along and topple it. i'm not sure if they're on a fault line, but if they are they're begging for trouble. honestly, this is a complete waste, and ask OP said, a case of measuring whose **** is larger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    they'd better hope an earthquake doesn't come along and topple it. i'm not sure if they're on a fault line, but if they are they're begging for trouble. honestly, this is a complete waste, and ask OP said, a case of measuring whose **** is larger.
    Saudis are making it.

Inshallah!

ALLAH WILLS IT!

ReputationRep:
    More precious oil money pissed up the wall on a white elephant vanity project then? Nice.

(Original post by Uzi2491)
    And skyscrapers aren't about showing how cultured they are - they have culture. It is about moving into the modern times.
    I don't see how it shows that. The central features of a modern, developed country include a robust economy, a good welfare state, a good education system, and strong political and legal institutions. Buying a tall building just shows that some people in the country have lots of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atheist Britain)
    I always laugh when people say "saudis to build.." Saudis don't build anything. I think you will find that the architects and engineers are mostly western and the workers are usually mostly South Asian

is their money! they can employ whoever they like.

i don't really care about who build it or what not. what surprises me is, Saudis have that much money to build skyscrapers, but not enough for National Health Insurance or Welfare system. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    want to be unique? want to have a structure unlike any other? want to spend large amounts of money on crap that has nothing to do with poverty/improvement of health/education/research?

then make a skyscraper.....in space.

Go on, i dare you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    want to be unique? want to have a structure unlike any other? want to spend large amounts of money on crap that has nothing to do with poverty/improvement of health/education/research?

then make a skyscraper.....in space.

Go on, i dare you.
    :lolwut:

.....Put down the crack pipe, son.

ReputationRep:
    At present non-oil manufacturing only provides 10 per cent of Saudi GDP and less than six per cent of total employment. [1]

Really can't wait till it runs out.[2] It will be like watching a rich but thick Middle Eastern play boy (you know the type, on the outside they are bastions of Islamic values, but behind closed doors they love a bit of champagne fueled sodomy as much as the next fag) cut out of his inheritance.

Hope they are investing in mile high ladders for their fire trucks too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    :lolwut:

.....Put down the crack pipe, son.
    hahaha maybe later...

ReputationRep:
    One word, PRIDE. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.