Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saudis to build world's tallest skyscraper - double the size of the Burj Khalifa! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    You can't wait to see people suffering? What a great person you are!

All countries in the world spend vast amounts of money on things people don't agree with. Our nuclear weapons cost more to maintain than this, so at least they get something vaguely useful out of it.

(And not aimed at you, but I find it pretty revealing that people will go on rants about Arabs etc. then only clarify that they mean the governments after they have been challenged. There is a very big difference between a dictatorship and a group of civilians - if you have to clarify which one you were talking about then I struggle to believe you are genuinely concerned for their welfare, as opposed to just making a rant about Arabs in general).
    Hats off Sir , Arab here.

People accept capitalism on themselves but hate to see it being applied by others, the motives behind this building aren't just a matter of showing off, its a property investment aiming to make profit in the long run.

Cheap/ free labour for a pointless building :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I live in Jeddah, and they've been talking about this building and many others since 3 years, and we haven't seen them starting on any of them yet!

Anyway, even if it's built, I hope I'll be out of here before it's completed. Imagine having a building like that collapse on it's side! It'll be horrific if it falls on other people's homes.

First let them build a system for rainwater drainage in Jeddah, then think of skyscrapers!

ReputationRep:
    by the sounds of things, there's no need to ever leave the building

ReputationRep:
    This has just become a pissing contest.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine dropping a penny off the top of that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Imagine dropping a penny off the top of that...
    Would probably burn up while re-entering the atmosphere. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_gooner)
    Would probably burn up while re-entering the atmosphere. lol
    Imagine throwing £10 in pennies off the top.....

People on the ground will probably think it's Armageddon

ReputationRep:
    It's OK for some countries. They won't have to be worrying about aeroplanes flying through their buildings, the scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Imagine throwing £10 in pennies off the top.....

People on the ground will probably think it's Armageddon
    haha, brilliant way for bored office workers to have a laugh

ReputationRep:
    Hmm solving the poverty or....building a massive ugly as **** penis?

ReputationRep:
    Why are people complaining for? Jealousy? We could say the same about the olympics, what is the point of wasting billions when we have poverty in this country?
    I say bravo to the Arabs- and well done on pushing boundaries and building something spectacular. I am proud of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_gooner)
    haha, brilliant way for bored office workers to have a laugh
    You could probably stop a terrorist too..

If he's holding somone hostage, you could tactically aim a penny and get all the glory... and 72 virgins...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    I agree with the architect who calls this tower 'phallic'. What's up with the Arab world penis measuring with architecture?
    They're compensating

ReputationRep:
    You guys are such a load of dicks.
    KSA is not that reliant on oil.
    30 percent of revenues also come from Hajj and Umrah industry.
    This tower is in Jeddah 56 KM away from Mecca and they are looking to exploit the Umrah industry. Currently there are restrictions on pilgrims intending to explore KSA beyond the holy cities so it s a potential money spinner.
    To those guys who know **** about KSA butt off and ask those who actually live here.
    KSA provides a lot of welfare similar to that of England to it s local population.
    Unemployment benefits are many starting from 2000 SR per month.
    There are no taxes so all the income earned by the populace stays with them.
    Huge subsidies on electricity and water and now in the recent budget loans to buy a house have been increased. Obviously there will be unhappy folks just LIKE any other country.

Brits are just 24/7 complaining *****es

ReputationRep:
    Also this tower has been commissioned by Prince Alwaleed Bin Talaal and not the government and this Prince has a HOLDING COMPANY with shares in 29 multinational firms around the world.

THIS is a PURE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY AND I WOULD BE A COMPLETE **** OF A BILLIONAIRE IF I DONT EXPLOIT THIS SITUATION IN WHICH 19 MILLION PEOPLE ANNUALLY COME TO VISIT NEARBY PLACES AND IN WHICH MAJORITY OF CITY RESIDENTS HAVE WEALTH OF 20000 DOLLARS PLUS.

ReputationRep:
    It would've been impressive if they invested their money building more new, well reputed and recognized universities. Not everyone can afford to study abroad. $18 billion on building the world's tallest skyscraper is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal4lif)
    Also this tower has been commissioned by Prince Alwaleed Bin Talaal and not the government and this Prince has a HOLDING COMPANY with shares in 29 multinational firms around the world.

THIS is a PURE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY AND I WOULD BE A COMPLETE **** OF A BILLIONAIRE IF I DONT EXPLOIT THIS SITUATION IN WHICH 19 MILLION PEOPLE ANNUALLY COME TO VISIT NEARBY PLACES AND IN WHICH MAJORITY OF CITY RESIDENTS HAVE WEALTH OF 20000 DOLLARS PLUS.
    (Original post by Ramox3)
    Hats off Sir , Arab here.

People accept capitalism on themselves but hate to see it being applied by others, the motives behind this building aren't just a matter of showing off, its a property investment aiming to make profit in the long run.
    You don't honestly believe that this is IN ANY WAY a business decision? The Burj Khalifa makes a huge loss and is mostly empty. The Burj is next to the Dubai Maill and next to the Dubai World Trade Centre; this is twice as tall and is in a country that makes it extremely difficult to do business. There is zero chance that this Tower will come anywhere near breaking even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -M$ [email protected])
    It would've been impressive if they invested their money building more new, well reputed and recognized universities. Not everyone can afford to study abroad. $18 billion on building the world's tallest skyscraper is just ridiculous.
    You can't (physically) build a seat of learning, a centre of scholarship...

You can build a mile high tower.

ReputationRep:
    It's wrong to assume the Saudi govt is wholly bad. They're not. The Perisan gulf states have efficient welfare systems set-up to the point even water is free in some countries.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.