Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in quite a dilemma
    It's not important just now, since all thats important is getting my A levels and sorting out a course but I think I need some help adressing my problem.
    I have an offer for chemistry at Warwick MChem
    I also have an offer for physics w/ astrophysics at York MPhys

I'm not sure about doing chemistry, as I really enjoy it and its one of my favourite subjects, but there isn't enough maths involved for my liking, and the job market looks unbelievably lousy and i've seen so many comments about how they wish they hadn't gone into that field.
    I don't want to go to york and do physics because york is too close to home and I dont feel ready for physics since I dont have a F.Maths A level, plus I find some of physics a bit useless.

My third option, which I am possibly considering, is taking a year out after I recieve my A levels, doing an AS and A2 F.Maths A level in college whilst sitting in pure maths classes to keep my knowledge fresh (but i wont sit the exams).
    This would allow me to pursue a fairly strong interest in applying for an Aerospace Engineering/ Aeronautical Engineering course in the same year.
    The problem basically is I dont know what I want to do, so another year would help me decide which I think is the sensible decision and not to rush into a career that I havent thought through and may not enjoy

Unfortunately I would be subject to the increased fees but if I was doing something I want to do I dont think that will matter.

Advice please
    Thank you
    Martik

ReputationRep:
    Hrm well dude, you got to do what your interested in. At the end of the day, you don't want to be stuck in a course where you have no interest. Cos then it will be very hard to do well. If you feel that you can afford the new fees then you might as well go for it!

And a note about Physics, it is not neccesary to learn FM for it. But yea, I understand that you don't want to live at home.
    And a note about Chemistry, its the subject you love the most, however you're considering to leave it because of less maths. A good 2:1 or even a 1st in Chemistry at Warwick will do very well for your job prospects

ReputationRep:
    You don't need F Math for first year maths courses. It does certainly help and will allow you to skip a lot of revision for the math module itself, but if anything it's nice to be taught maths in a non-A Level environment where the maths is always compared to the physics and it really feels applicable and useful.

Have you considered applying for Chemical Physics? Bristol and Sheffield - AFAIK - offer the courses and you'd get a good mix of the two.

All that said, if you're still not sure come May/June, I would consider turning down your offers and taking a year out to do something else and think about it more seriously - like you said, with increased tuition fees it is now more important than ever to really choose your desired course. I made the mistake of choosing geology thinking I'd love it, did the first year of it and absolutely hated it and now I'm one year behind all my university friends in my second year of physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    You don't need F Math for first year maths courses. It does certainly help and will allow you to skip a lot of revision for the math module itself, but if anything it's nice to be taught maths in a non-A Level environment where the maths is always compared to the physics and it really feels applicable and useful.

Have you considered applying for Chemical Physics? Bristol and Sheffield - AFAIK - offer the courses and you'd get a good mix of the two.

All that said, if you're still not sure come May/June, I would consider turning down your offers and taking a year out to do something else and think about it more seriously - like you said, with increased tuition fees it is now more important than ever to really choose your desired course. I made the mistake of choosing geology thinking I'd love it, did the first year of it and absolutely hated it and now I'm one year behind all my university friends in my second year of physics.
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    Hrm well dude, you got to do what your interested in. At the end of the day, you don't want to be stuck in a course where you have no interest. Cos then it will be very hard to do well. If you feel that you can afford the new fees then you might as well go for it!

And a note about Physics, it is not neccesary to learn FM for it. But yea, I understand that you don't want to live at home.
    And a note about Chemistry, its the subject you love the most, however you're considering to leave it because of less maths. A good 2:1 or even a 1st in Chemistry at Warwick will do very well for your job prospects
    Thank guys for the reassurance that I don't need F.maths... I might study some of the key modules from it (i.e. M2 FP1) in the summer too..
    Do you think it would be a wise decision to ring up warwick and ask if it is possible to change my course to Physics? I mean that would mean I could go to uni this year

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.