Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My flatmates have been driving me mental with noise since the beginning of the year. I knew we weren't going to get on from the start, they're all younger than me and really into going out and getting drunk and going clubbing, and that's not me at all, and I was already considering moving to another halls within the first few days, but everyone assured me it would settle down after freshers and it did, so I stayed.

Then began to the constant cycle of asking them to be quiet, them apologising, and then doing exactly the same thing the next night (mostly screaming down the corridor at 3am). I came back after Christmas for revision week and got hardly any sleep because of the constant noise; then on the Wednesday of the second week of exams everyone had clearly decided since they had finished their exams they were going to go mental, regardless of the fact that some of us still had exams to do. But every time I got to the point where I thought 'right, that's it, I can't take it' it would be quiet for a bit and I'd convince myself I could hang on a bit longer.

This was the point where one of my other flatmates also started to get annoyed about the noise, so she often went out and told them to shut up before I did, so I'd just stay out of it (firstly because the guys started *****ing about her behind her back and I didn't want them to do it to me, and secondly because one of the guys in our flat is really aggressive when he's drunk so I just didn't want to get involved when they were screaming at each other). But by about half way through the term I was so stressed that if I even tried to go out and tell them to be quiet I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I feel like I haven't slept properly all year; now I know why sleep deprivation is regarded as torture.

Fast forward to tonight; everything has just come to a head. My other flatmate (the one who'd complained about noise before) called security; everyone ended up having a big argument, with two of them trying to brush the situation off as 'we say sorry and in the morning it's all okay again...' and then when I tried to back up the other girl, because the rest of them were doing the whole sticking together and denying everything routine, one of the guys started having a go at me for, of all things, being too quiet (I'm not sure if he was trying to insinuate that I didn't complain enough so they didn't know I was annoyed by the noise-which isn't true-or what). It's all too much and I literally cannot take it any more; I've just spent nearly an hour in tears and I came close to just getting dressed, grabbing my stuff and leaving to find a hotel.

I don't want to stay here another four days before I can go home for the holidays, I don't want to come back here for the exam period; I just want to leave. Here-in lies my dilemna:

1) my parents live abroad so it's not like I can just go back home and come up for exams (like my other flatmate is clearly planning on doing as she only lives in Swansea)
    2) I don't have any other relatives who live close enough to do that, I don't have any mates who could put me up for that long. My grandparents live in Monmouth and my brother lives in Gloucester, so possibly I can impose myself on them if my exams are spaced out enough but I can't see that it can really work unless my exams are clustered into a couple of days close together.
    3) I probably need to be in Cardiff anyway to sort out my house for next year
    4) It's too late in the year to move halls, when I'm only back for exams for a matter of weeks.
    5) I definitely cannot afford to pay for somewhere else to stay. If I had the money, I'd at this exact moment be checking into a hotel for the remaining four days, but I don't.

Any ideas? I seriously think I'm going to have a breakdown and fail all my exams if I have to come back here but I don't know what else to do.

TL;dr: Flatmates have driven me to breaking point. Can't afford to pay for somewhere else to stay, too late to move to another halls, can't think of any other way to come back for exams, but staying here is going to give me a nervous breakdown. Help.

ReputationRep:
    Get the police involved!

ReputationRep:
    Why cant you bunk with a mate? Surely there most be someone your good friends with who you can just sleep on the floor or something ?

Sounds like a really bad situation, and unfortunately is one of the bad things about halls some times.

Once noise keeps going past like 2 or 3am on a week night i think it's perfectly acceptable to call security and keep calling them until they stop for good, if security dont do much about it then ask to speak to some kind of manager.. or better yet someone at the university itself. There are rules for respecting people around you in halls and this goes along with depriving people of sleep at unnecessary times repeatedly. At Plymouth we had a specific group of people who we were told we could go to for student support, relationship .. course.. hall advice etc etc and i'm sure every university has some variation of this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh how I don't miss halls. I have absolutely nothing helpful to say unfortunately, other than that by this time next year, you will be living in comparable bliss.

ReputationRep:
    get halls involved. If your hall people are like my hall people - they're the best people you'll ever meet. - I mean the accommodation staff.

ReputationRep:
    The cheapest option owuld be to get some ear plugs?

Another thing, why should you move? You've done nothing wrong, keep going to security or someone higher (manager) until it gets sorted, that's what they're there for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Why cant you bunk with a mate? Surely there most be someone your good friends with who you can just sleep on the floor or something ?
    Probably someone could put me up on their sofa for a few days, but not really for the whole exam period. I won't get any sleep on someone's floor/sofa either. Kind of defeats the point.

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Oh how I don't miss halls. I have absolutely nothing helpful to say unfortunately, other than that by this time next year, you will be living in comparable bliss.
    That is the one thing helping me retain my sanity. I'm moving in with a friend in their lovely quiet house, it's going to be awesome. :moon:

And yeah, the halls people are aware of the situation from my other flatmate (to the point where she's trying to get released from her halls contract because of stress). Security have been called out plenty of times. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Update: have got in touch with halls people. Someone's already been round this morning to give people a general telling off. Hopefully I'm going to get moved. Can't bloody stay here anyway, the atmosphere is so tense you could cut it with a knife. And one of the guys just tried to apologise in the 'I'm sorry but not really' kind of way (in fact it kind of turned into him suggesting it was my fault for not complaining enough-wait, so the other girl calls security and they have a go at her and start *****ing behind her back; I don't call security and I'm somehow at fault for being too nice?)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.