Turn on thread page Beta

What do your parents think of your style? watch

ReputationRep:
    My mom thinks I show-off and that I'm too materialistic (the reason she wont give me her unwanted Vintage Messenger Bag sad )

But, idk that's not the way I look at it; at all.

What about you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My mum doesn't like it if I forget to put the cover on the plug hole when I wash my hair, so that my hair clogs up the drains.

(Such is the price I must pay for having long hair....that's just about all you can say about my 'style'. That and I wear a lot of black.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    My mum doesn't like it if I forget to put the cover on the plug hole when I wash my hair, so that my hair clogs up the drains.

(Such is the price I must pay for having long hair....that's just about all you can say about my 'style'. That and I wear a lot of black.)
    Hahahaha :'] same here.

On the black front, my parents' reactions range from reluctant acceptance, to jokes, to utter despair sometimes :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheHyacinthGirl)
    Hahahaha :'] same here.

On the black front, my parents' reactions range from reluctant acceptance, to jokes, to utter despair sometimes :P
    I don't think my mum cares particularly about the black thing either. My brother is similar in that respect - makes the washing easier when pretty much every shirt/pair of jeans is black!

For me it wasn't any sort of plan, I just noticed one day that virtually all of my clothes were black.

ReputationRep:
    She likes my style, or atleast she says she does, she wouldn't hAve choice anyway

ReputationRep:
    I range from shorts and baggy tops with converse to tea dresses. My mum despairs though, because at my age she never left the house without full make-up, whereas I'm much more laid-back (lazy...). My dad doesn't really notice, unless I wear something slightly quirky, like knee socks, and then his reaction tends to be "Oh COOL" rather than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I don't think my mum cares particularly about the black thing either. My brother is similar in that respect - makes the washing easier when pretty much every shirt/pair of jeans is black!

For me it wasn't any sort of plan, I just noticed one day that virtually all of my clothes were black.
    It's very practical. Also means that nothing stains, no matter what you spill on it. Toothpaste can be a bit of a nightmare though.

I suppose my wardrobe has just become gradually more black over the years. It's the colour I most enjoy wearing. My favourite colour is actually red but I'd feel very strange going out in something red.

ReputationRep:
    My mum tends to think things I wear are too short lol, she has few other comments, but it doesn't help that I'm tall so things look shorter on me anyway. I don't like looking slutty anyway so it's helpful sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    umm if im wearing something different to the norm or a bit more quirky both my perants will comment. but i think my dad as only just relised that i have grown up and i have boobs! the classic is 'put a vest on'... even though i am wearing a vest top with an open front cardi. im like i cant help having these things *points at boobs* lmao x

ReputationRep:
    Mother always likes the dresses and shoes I buy. She's ALWAYS saying I have too many clothes though... I don't think she's wrong to be honest, just had a huge clearout and still trying to find space for the remaining clothes to go...

But yeah. She always says the things I wear are 'pretty'. Even when they're not meant to be and are meant to have a bit of edge. Dayum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm often mistaken for a homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum despairs that the clothes I buy are too expensive. Primark, Peacocks, Matalan and Supermarkets are the only places my Mum approves of!

My Dad often comments that I've lost weight, or that I look good though.

ReputationRep:
    My mum thinks I'm always a season behind trend.

This is probably true

ReputationRep:
    My mum has, frankly, given up, but she always gets that sparkle of hope in her eyes when we're out shopping and she think she can sway me to something out of the ordinary. I don't think my dad cares. Excluding parents, though, my younger sister hates it - she's always wearing pastel coloured dresses. I'm generally in jeans, or a lot of black (was a Goth a couple of years ago and never really changed my shopping habits).

ReputationRep:
    My dad doesnt ever comment. Ha. I do get told by my older cousin that my stuff is lush and she wishes she could pull it off and my 8 year old cousin likes to inform me that my skirts/dresses for a night out are 'nice and pretty but too short' and that I should 'go home and change'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allenliving)
    My mom thinks I show-off and that I'm too materialistic (the reason she wont give me her unwanted Vintage Messenger Bag sad )

But, idk that's not the way I look at it; at all.

What about you?
    Mine like mine. I have a very feminine mother, so she's brought me up to take care of my appearance and to take an intrest in dressing to flatter my figure, take care of my skin, apply makeup properly, have nice hands etc.

ReputationRep:
    My mum will tell me if she thinks I don't look right, and I usually trust her opinion

ReputationRep:
    Mum tells me that I have too many clothes, and she'll also tell me if I am showing a bit too much leg.

ReputationRep:
    My mum never really said anything when I was younger - live and let live, I think is the phrase.

But now I'm more aware of what is flattering, she can always be counted upon for her advice/opinion if/when I need it.

She loves my more recent move into a 40's and 50's style because it's exactly how her mother used to dress - everything I'm buying atm, seems to remind her of her mum. I love that my fashion taste is somewhat genetic! hehe.

My Dad just thinks everything I wear is 'lovely' lol.

ReputationRep:
    Everytime my mum sees me she'll comment negatively on what I'm wearing. Whether I make an effort or not. Always says I look like I'm homeless. :sigh:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.