Turn on thread page Beta

What do your parents think of your style? watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents are usually very sweet and complimentary about what I wear. I mean obviously they don't usually make a comment about my usual tunic/leggings/caridgan combo, but if I've put on a nice dress for meal out or something, they'll usually say I look nice. If I'm off for a night out they often say something along the lines of "you can only get away with that when you're young" or my dad does love the classic "have you forgotten to put your trousers on" (but he's just kidding, I think).

ReputationRep:
    my mom is always trying to copy bits of my style LOL i brought some bangles 3 days later she brought the same ones, she buys some of the same shoes shes always complimenting me but i hate my style sometimes :sad:

ReputationRep:
    My dad insists on calling me a punk even though I've said I'm not, he just squints and does this 'ah, but you are' smirk. He said he felt cool walking around with me, which was nice I suppose.

Mum likes my clothes in isolation, but thinks I take it too far and combine too many styles and patterns (I agree, but I like the effect). Whenever I'm slouching around the house in jeans once in a blue moon she goes 'Oh you look lovely when you're dressed down like that', but I hate casual clothes.

ReputationRep:
    not my parents but some friends insist on telling me I dress and look like a 16 yr old boy. Dad just confuses my clothes with my little brothers sometimes.

Meh, better than looking feminine

ReputationRep:
    she doesn't like my style. she wishes i'd dress more girly but i prefer comfort over style. she usually nags me about how all i wear are dark colours or jeans and tee shirts :rolleyes:

i don't own any skirts or dresses and only have 2 pairs of heels but i don't mind dressing up for a special occasion such as prom

EDIT: I just realized after I pressed the post reply button that I spelled color the way you guys do by accident! You brits are really gettin to me

ReputationRep:
    My mum gave up complaining when she realised i would never stop being a tomboy and my dad never notices anything to do with clothes lol

ReputationRep:
    My mum's really annoying when it comes to asking for her opinion on clothes- she just says everything looks lovely on me because I'm young and have 'such a nice figure' haha.

ReputationRep:
    They probably think I'm a bit odd really. Too much tweed....

....you can never have to much tweed :awesome:.

ReputationRep:
    My mum loves my style. Sometimes she says i wear skirts too short or i show my cleavage more than necessary, but at the same time she thinks i tend to dress smartly. Hear complaint is about not wearing enough jackets in winter

Dad hates leopard print so I guess he doesn't really like my clothes. But both love the way my style has changed so..i guess they're happy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When I was 13/14 I went through an emo/scene phase. My gran thought it was hilarious. Laughed every time she saw me. Looking back at pictures I did look quite hilarious.

If i'm about to go up town to bars/clubs then she'll say "off to the brothel are we?".
    Other than that she quite likes my style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettDangerfield)
    My mum's really annoying when it comes to asking for her opinion on clothes- she just says everything looks lovely on me because I'm young and have 'such a nice figure' haha.
    My grans like that too! Always about my boobs or my small waist. Says "Oh i wish i had a waist like that when i was your age!" but then tells me i'm going to get fat because I eat a lot

ReputationRep:
    I dress like an old Scot. Yellow jumper, white belt, cigar, whiskey on the rocks, oxford shoes and a blazer.

ReputationRep:
    Was wearing my lemon shorts, a white and custard-striped cotton T-Shirt and my new mustard Crocs earlier. My mam said I look like a sexy duck, she's not wrong either. She knows style when she sees it.

ReputationRep:
    Well at university first few months I had people coming up to me and speaking in french they actually thought i was french which was a bit shocking.

However my mother doesnt really say much about what i wear.

ReputationRep:
    My mom doesn't really have any problems with what I wear except for the occasional "aren't you showing too much skin?" I guess I have a somewhat more laid back style so they don't really notice.

I find it slightly irritating though when my mom wants to wear some of the same clothes as me. It feels too weird!

ReputationRep:
    Mommy likes what I wear. We're a very stylish pair.

...She doesn't see what I go out clubbing in though, tee hee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    My Mum despairs that the clothes I buy are too expensive. Primark, Peacocks, Matalan and Supermarkets are the only places my Mum approves of!

My Dad often comments that I've lost weight, or that I look good though.
    Yeah... um, you should probably stop trying to seduce your dad... before he starts looking with his hands :s:

ReputationRep:
    They're annoyed because I have "such expensive taste." :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Yeah... um, you should probably stop trying to seduce your dad... before he starts looking with his hands :s:
    Euwwwwwwww!

That said, my parents were horrified when I turned up drunk at 6am in the morning (in a dress only appropriate for strippers and carnival) when I had locked myself out of my own house..which was 40 mins away by bus.

My poor Mum didn't know whether to scold me or laugh!

ReputationRep:
    My mum always says "ah, you could be pretty if you tried a bit harder!"

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.