Turn on thread page Beta

What do your parents think of your style? watch

ReputationRep:
    My Mum can't really complain as I dress like she did in the 80's, my Dad doesn't tend to say anything apart from moaning about my Converse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My dad doesn't ever comment. My mother hates all my piercings and sometimes thinks I look a bit grungy, but she's nice about it and helps me pick out clothes sometimes which agree with my style.

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me that they hate my haircut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allenliving)
    My mom thinks I show-off and that I'm too materialistic (the reason she wont give me her unwanted Vintage Messenger Bag sad )

But, idk that's not the way I look at it; at all.

What about you?
    Generally my mam thinks that my clothes don't 'match' nearly often enough and that I have no idea about what colours I shouldn't wear together. That said, she does like a lot of my clothes, we just have rather different styles my little sister thinks I suck because she's bigger than me and therefore cannot steal my clothes, and my grandad thinks everything I own is too short, too revealing or too dreary.

Overall, pretty normal I'd say

ReputationRep:
    Mum likes it when I wear girly clothes but she doesn't like my deer jumper
    If I ever veer too far into hipster territory that's when she feels the need to comment.

Dad on the other hand was a new waver in the 80s and did the whole eyeliner, hair dye, nail varnish malarkey, so he's pretty cool about what I wear.

I remember the first time I went out in heels and my mum was all "will you look at what your daughter is wearing!" and dad just shrugged and went "I wore wedges bigger than that in the 70s"

ReputationRep:
    I depends really. I wear a lot of short things even though I have massive thunder-thighs but I always wear leggings so normally it's fine. I haven't seen my mum in so long I can't really remember!

ReputationRep:
    Hate the piercings. Don't give a crap about anything else.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My mum bought the same skirt that i was wearing a few weeks ago because she liked it that much

ReputationRep:
    They are neutral about my style.

When I was a kid, my mum always dress me smartly

ReputationRep:
    My mum accused me of looking 'suggestive' the other day, was very sweet (and true, but that didn't make it any less funny)

More in a kind of 'That's a bit awkward' way rather than a 'Go and change you heathen child' thing.

ReputationRep:
    practically everytime i buy something my mum says 'i had one exactly like that when i was young' and then she offers to take it off my hands if i decide i ever don't like it/it suddenly doesn't fit me

ReputationRep:
    I'm very lucky to have a mother who appreciates and understands fashion; she has the eagle eye in spotting beauty, whether it is a painting by an unknown artist, something extremely edgy or just a piece of plain, clean designer cut but fits amazingly on her - she has the exceptional ability to visualise what looks good together and how things match.

On several occasions in London, she was photographed for fashion snaps for magazines or blogs. Although she would refuse listening to my saying, but I've always thought that she has very good potentials to be a buyer or stylist, whether in fashion or interior styling etc, I just believe that those talents shouldn't be wasted.

With the help from mum I could always find fantastic pieces that no one seems to have, so I really appreciate the shopping sessions with her. Anyway, in terms of style she has always encouraged me to be adventurous, never to be afraid to be the first and that being a trend following fashionista is the biggest no-no. On the other hand, my father neither encourage nor discourage my style, just like the majority of middle-aged men who could not care less about style haha

ReputationRep:
    I wear a pretty wide range of clothes - jeans and hoodies some days, full on 1940's clothes other days!
    It depends what mood I'm in, I think she quite likes what I wear, she always says she does anyway, tbh it rarely comes up!

Actually she hated my tunnel - but she doesn't mind anything else (nose included) so she said if I got rid of my tunnel I could get a tattoo, as long as I was really sure it was for me!

ReputationRep:
    my mum has never really said anything about it

but my grandma always moans to me how i should start wearing dresses/skirts more often

ReputationRep:
    Meh, they think I dress nice; I'm thinking about completely switching it around this summer but I'm not about spending the money on clothes; clothes are always last on the list when thinking about future purchases. Electronics and coffee make up 1 and 2 respectively

ReputationRep:
    My mum says I dress really plain and should show off more. :rolleyes:

She thinks I should wear heels too - She's 5'5 whereas I'm 5'10 in my bare feet. :rolleyes:

She thinks I have too many ear piercings, but liked my neck one haha.

ReputationRep:
    I think my mum likes my style. I wouldn't wear skirts or dresses from the age of about 11 to 18, but now I love anything, jeans, skirts or dresses and I love buying pretty clothes now or just accessorises with plain clothes. It's not hugely interesting, but I love it when my mum says I look nice.

My mum knows my style really well though, so I rely on her for opinions if I'm not sure about something too, or if I'm a bit self-conscious in something she often builds up my confidence a bit. <3 my mum.

ReputationRep:
    My parents hate my hair. They don't mind how I dress.

ReputationRep:
    Mine rarely comment, but they don't really have any interest in clothes.

ReputationRep:
    my mum hates my clothes and style. my skirts are too short, my jeans are too frayed and my heels are too high. I actually have clothes that I would only wear at uni because I know she would disapprove (so would my dad but he wouldn't say anything), like my DMs. It works the other way too though. I have clothes at home that I like to wear because I know it makes my mum happy to see me in them, but I would feel completely self-conscious if I wore them at uni...not sure why :s

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.