Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do your parents think of your style? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They only comment when it's something nice.. the rest of the time I get nothing so I have no idea.
    Would anyone be influenced by parents judgements? I know it would never change me.

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't really comment, more just enjoys stealing my clothes D: and dad, well.. he thinks my converses are ridiculous, but they're better than his golf shoes, so his opinion doesn't count

ReputationRep:
    My mum has no problem with how I dress, it's not eccentric in any way

ReputationRep:
    They don't care if they're not paying...

ReputationRep:
    my father things I am adaorable. he is so nice.

I don´t care about what my mum says. she is 60 plus and dresses as if she was 80 plus. wearing a skirt is looking cheap according to her, so she has absolutely no idea.

ReputationRep:
    My dad thinks I'm a hippy, my mum doesn't care. She can be trusted to order things for me out of catalogues so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum is always complementing my clothes. My Dad just complains about my haircut (It's not even that long, about Andy Samberg length at the mo, which is about as long as it gets). Can't reall go wrong with Converse, skinny (not too skinny) jeans, a t shirt and shirt/hoodie. Or my rather nice M & S blazer style jacket for the "Yes, I can rock one of these with a hoodie, because I'm young" look, very versatile, it is .

ReputationRep:
    My mum gives me a funny look as is: 'how long will this phase last'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allenliving)
    My mom thinks I show-off and that I'm too materialistic (the reason she wont give me her unwanted Vintage Messenger Bag sad )

But, idk that's not the way I look at it; at all.

What about you?
    Mum despairs of my lack of care for my appearance. I tell her dresses are useless because you can't climb trees in them; she says they're good because they make me look taller :rolleyes:
    I hate going shopping with her because she complains everything is too expensive (even in primark and new look!) and hates everything I pick out then once I tried to pick something I thought she'd like and she asked me why I wanted to dress like her! Ya can't win!
    She wants me to wear pretty pink dresses, make up and heels...I want to wear jeans, converse and my hair scraped back so I can concentrate. We agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    My mum says I look like a "farm hooker" =) .. Which is exactly what I was going for, hmm aha

ReputationRep:
    hates it!!!!!! But she has never understood me!

ReputationRep:
    My mum is constantly buying me clothes as a "surprise", her real intentions are to get me to dress differently. She doesn't hate what I wear but I think she wishes I dressed a bit more normally. She doesn't like my hair because its red and asymmetrical and I thought she was going to have a heart attack last summer when I came home from town with a nose piercing. Shes not keen on the idea of me getting a tattoo either but at the end of the day I'm an adult and she agrees that I can dress how I like. My dads pretty indifferent to it, unless I wear something too revealing in which case he makes me change or he wont let me out of the house.

ReputationRep:
    My friends always joke and say my parents are cooler than me, because as a family our styles mesh really well! My dad was/is a punk, and used to experiment with fashion ALOT, making his own clothes, making clothes for friends, doing drastic things to his hair like having it bleach blonde with and messy on one side and completely shaved the other - sounds weird but he dyes my hair for me (I go from blonde to brunette and back again all the time) because he's got years of knowledge! He also keeps me in stock of pyjamas, bringing back band tees from the festivals he goes to for me to wear, it's like a tradition now.
    My mum always borrows my clothes and I borrow hers cause we're exactly the sane size. She likes that I shop in charity shops and always says I have 'an eye for a bargain' aha. I love her collection of vintage tea dresses and she gets mad when I borrow them without asking and get stuff spilt on it when I'm out (usually alcohol, not good). Instead of buying a proper wedding dress when she married my dad, she went to Camden and picked up a 1950s silk cocktail dress for £20, I'm not allowed to touch it though

They're both awesome

ReputationRep:
    My mum thinks I'm special.

ReputationRep:
    dey sai pull yo trousers upp

styl m always like eazzzzzy cuzz

ReputationRep:
    My parents aren't really that bothered about how I dress.
    Except sometimes my Mum will say, "You're not wearing any make up!" because sometimes I can't be bothered. Although I think that's more out of shock because I never used to leave the house without any make up on.
    My Mum is pretty good at advice when I don't know what to wear or if an outfit looks ok, and sometimes she will tell me I look nice, and my dad sometimes says that too

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to despair when I was younger and going through my scruffy "goth" phase. Nowadays she quite likes it, except some of my going out dresses- "That's... eh... rather a lot of cleavage"

ReputationRep:
    My mum loves it! She used to own a ladieswear boutique and is a tailor to trade, so we're both really into clothes and makeup and she often picks out little treasures from places like TK Maxx for me (like a gorgeous pair of Theory sunglasses she found yesterday, or a pin-up style bikini a few weeks ago). We have quite similar tastes in a lot of things –*we both love skulls, for example, and really opulent details like velvet, beading and feathers.

There is the odd piece or two I have that she isn't crazy about (I have quite weird taste sometimes) and she often tells me I don't dress as "summery" as I perhaps should, but on the whole she approves.

ReputationRep:
    I think my mum would like me to care about style more, i mean i dress nice an smart enough, but really dont care about fashion or labels.

ReputationRep:
    'Is that new?' 'Do you ever wear the same thing twice?' 'Why do you need so many clothes?'

Probably the only things my mother ever says to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.