Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I become a hermit? watch

Announcements

I don't want to bore you with my life story, suffice to say, it's not gone swimmingly.

I am 24 years old, unemployed and in debt. On top of this I think I probably have some kind of mental disorder. Basically, I find interacting with anybody I don't know overwhelmingly uncomfortable. I don't just mean I'm shy, but that, I find social situations excruciating, to the extent where I've become a recluse. I think it's mainly because I'm acutely aware of peoples' judgments. I abhor being exposed. I feel peoples' eyes crawling over me and I find it unbearable. Everything I say, everything I do, I'm analyzed, criticized: it drives me insane!

So as I've said, I don't leave the house unless I have absolutely no choice. Even then I try my utmost to avoid crowds or anywhere I know people are likely to be. This situation basically rules out going to university (unless I do distance learning -which I'm considering), as well as getting a job, relationships, starting a family or any of the things associated with a normal life or happiness. I've considered at length, the possible things I could do to make myself content and there aren't many possibilities. Essentially, the only way I could be anything close to happy, is if I went and lived somewhere where other people aren't.

I thus constructed a fantasy. It entails using the last of my available funds to fly to Canada, building a shack and living in the Canadian wilderness. I would go fishing for my tea (and breakfast and lunch I guess), collect fire wood to keep warm and cook and perhaps have a husky dog as a companion to keep me company. Throw in a telescope so I can stargaze in the darkness of the Canadian skies and I think I'd be fairly content (as close as it's possible for me to get anyway).

Obviously, this is quite a drastic and risky thing to do - not to mention not strictly legal (I obviously wouldn't qualify as a legitimate immigrant). Not only this, but it would also mean defaulting on my loans and leaving my family behind. Essentially, my plan would basically entail flying out of a supposed holiday, then just disappearing off into the wilderness and living as a hermit. I must admit I am slightly concerned that I'd end up either dead or arrested and deported.

However, I have often contemplated suicide, in fact, if heroin was easier to come by I'd probably already be dead (I bought hypodermics off the Internet - and some lemon juice concentrate in preparation). But alas, I'm a coward, too scared to make an attempt that could be painful or go wrong. Hence, the risks involved with my Canada plan don't seem too bad.

I'm afraid I've gone off on a tangent, I'm not even sure what I was trying to ask anymore.

Anon or delete please mods.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Huskies aren't the best companions y'know. It's not unknown for them to turn on their owners and well...eat them...if they get hungry.

You can become a hermit in the UK btw. It'd be cheaper and easier to get there. And supposing you did run into trouble you're not miles away from help. I'm considering living that way for a while (few months to a year I suppose)

It's possible if you find somewhere suitable quiet.

ReputationRep:
    right......

(Original post by Manitude)

You can become a hermit in the UK btw. It'd be cheaper and easier to get there. And supposing you did run into trouble you're not miles away from help. I'm considering living that way for a while (few months to a year I suppose)
    A roundabout island on the A3 is not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't want to bore you with my life story ...
    You failed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A roundabout island on the A3 is not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks anyway.
    That's not exactly what I had in mind either.

There's places in england where you can be something like 1-2 miles from civilisation. That's enough to hide yourself away.

If you go to scotland there's whole islands of wilderness. It'd be much warmer than canada in the winter for sure.

ReputationRep:
    It is drastic and maybe an exaggerated reflection of the underlying problem. But it seems you haven't tackled that underlying problem yet?

I know it must be difficult but I urge you to see someone about your condition, or "mental disorder" if you seriously think it is that

ReputationRep:
    The Orkneys? Northumberland? We do have sparsely populated areas (or "remote") areas.

ReputationRep:
    A hermit crab?

http://www.hermitcrabvendor.com/imag...ve-b1_llk0.gif

Damn I wish I could carry my home around with me on my back.

ReputationRep:
    2 points:

1) you will need a ****load of training to be able to survive let alone live comfortably and not constantly hungry in canada.

2) if you did do this you would be very well prepared for the zombie apocolypse.

ReputationRep:

I thus constructed a fantasy. It entails using the last of my available funds to fly to Canada, building a shack and living in the Canadian wilderness. I would go fishing for my tea (and breakfast and lunch I guess), collect fire wood to keep warm and cook and perhaps have a husky dog as a companion to keep me company. Throw in a telescope so I can stargaze in the darkness of the Canadian skies and I think I'd be fairly content (as close as it's possible for me to get anyway).

Obviously, this is quite a drastic and risky thing to do - not to mention not strictly legal (I obviously wouldn't qualify as a legitimate immigrant). Not only this, but it would also mean defaulting on my loans and leaving my family behind. Essentially, my plan would basically entail flying out of a supposed holiday, then just disappearing off into the wilderness and living as a hermit. I must admit I am slightly concerned that I'd end up either dead or arrested and deported.
    You will die alone from malnutrition and most probably disease or infection in your weakened state. You can not survive from fish alone. Most expert bushcrafters would find it hard to live self-sufficiently in the wilderness. There have been many documentaries, films and books created by those who try this sort of thing and fail (most die) or succeed. I read a story about a man called **** Proenneke whose full DVD has been uploaded to youtube by somebody, you should watch it, it's very interesting. He used his skills as a carpenter to build a log cabin in the Alaskan Wilderness. He saved up some money and then logged some trees to build himself a home, he grew simple vegetables, but most importantly of all he got his friend to use a seaplane to deliver supplies to him every so often, demonstrating that even though he had obvious skills to use he still relied on some outside help. It seems idealistic and tranquil at first but I believe humans aren't meant to live like this. **** lived in his home for 30 years for the most part alone, as he loved to live simply and observe wildlife by keeping journals and taking video footage. If I was offered the opportunity I would jump at the chance to live like that for a month or so, but after that I think I would be incredibly lonely.

I once felt like you did, but it is only a state of mind when stress or pressure arises, I call it 'the turtle reaction', because whenever you sense trouble, pressure or stress you retreat into this little cocoon and want to hide away from the world, but you can't live like this. You must sort yourself out. Perhaps if practicing self sufficiency is something you are interested in, you should focus your skills on primitive living and learn the skills of our ancestors by attending Bushcraft lessons, joining a primitive skills and bushcraft network such as Woodlife or practicing it yourself with the aid of books and internet materials, there is a wealth of knowledge to be found, you just have to know where to look.

Lastly, there is wilderness to be found right here in the UK. The Highlands of Scotland are majestic, beautiful, tough and unforgiving to anybody who doesn't respect them. I won't say anymore but please feel free to PM me and I can give you some advice on the things I've mentioned in my post, or if you just want to chat that's fine too.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother going to uni or doing a distance degree if you cant be near people? Go and get soem therapy and sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you want to cut people out of your life completely?

I've pursued independent, semi-hermitic lifesyles in the past...it's not easy, I eventually found that I DO need people in my life after all, I just need my own space and LOTS of time to myself too - it's a balance.

Do you live by yourself? Having somewhere to 'escape' from people makes a big difference when coping with stressful social interactions (I personally don't think I could go back to shared accomodation - other people's habits & pecking orders were driving me nuts!).

Living a subsistence existence in the wilderness is harsh: you'd have to consider: *heating (even in Britain it gets dangerously cold in winter).
    *food (foraging/growing crops would take up most of your time and isn't as easy as it looks).
    *Lack of electricity/hot water/internet...

Do you have the opportunity to go hillwalking/camping in wild areas? Maybe you should give that a try first (if you haven't already) - it's a great way to clear your mind and will give you an idea how hard it is to survive out there.

I think you realize that your fantasy is just that, and not a realistic plan/solution.

(Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I once felt like you did, but it is only a state of mind when stress or pressure arises, I call it 'the turtle reaction', because whenever you sense trouble, pressure or stress you retreat into this little cocoon and want to hide away from the world, but you can't live like this. You must sort yourself out. Perhaps if practicing self sufficiency is something you are interested in, you should focus your skills on primitive living and learn the skills of our ancestors by attending Bushcraft, or practicing it yourself with the aid of books and internet materials, there is a wealth of knowledge to be found, you just have to know where to look.
    Excellent advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.