The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by teadrinker
It depends how obsessed you are by 'race' - in your case it seems, rather creepily so.

The day when people stop counting up the number of people with each skin tone would be a far greater day.

This
Original post by angelmxxx
Why would you care if that happened? If everyone else in your village was the same culture as you (multiracial area definitely doesn't equal multicultural area) then what would be the difference to your hypothetical current white village?

A village full of black people with the same British culture as you would surely be much more similar to your current life than a village full of white Australian or French or American people with their own culture?

Well depends. See I've always thought that people of other races like to impose their own culture, so in the end we would lose that "true British culture" that has taken centuries to mould. Depends what the hypothetical situation is tho... if it were black or Asian or whatever British people then it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd still feel alientated in my own backyard so to speak but still. But if it were black African or Asian Indian people example then I wouldn't be for it.
i dont even care, we are all the same and people shouldn't even take note of skin colour these days. christ
Reply 23
You've mixed up colour with nationality.
Unless you think only white people can be British, in which case ::banghead:

What im saying is that a lot of people come to england and change the culture, however then moan about for example a small village in france having too many english people and ruining the heritage
Original post by jaydoh
What's racist about the indiginous population being the majority?? Isn't that always going to happen by design, with anything else being the result of conscious action- ie immigration?
Original post by jaydoh
Well depends. See I've always thought that people of other races like to impose their own culture, so in the end we would lose that "true British culture" that has taken centuries to mould. Depends what the hypothetical situation is tho... if it were black or Asian or whatever British people then it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd still feel alientated in my own backyard so to speak but still. But if it were black African or Asian Indian people example then I wouldn't be for it.

Surely that's a huge stereotype?
I mean, I'm mixed race but both my parents are British, and don't have any other cultural background. We're a typical midsomer-murders watching family, probably about as British as it gets. If you compared me to white people who only shop in Polish supermarkets/etc, or Italian people, etc then there'd be no contest whatsoever in 'Britishness'.

Yes a lot of non-white people in Britain are immigrants, who would probably keep eating some of the same foods, celebrating their home country's festivals etc, but if you meet their children the children tend to be completely immersed in British culture - don't speak with an accent, cook and eat British food, celebrate British holidays/royal wedding etc. To be honest, a lot of immigrants will be celebrating the royal wedding a lot more than some British people.

I still don't get why you'd feel out of place though - would you feel like that if you were the only blonde person in a group of brunettes? I live in a 95-99% white area and don't even really notice differences.
What? Are white/white or ethnic/ethnic relationships 'worse' than mixed race?
Original post by Manc990
What im saying is that a lot of people come to england and change the culture, however then moan about for example a small village in france having too many english people and ruining the heritage

Who does that though?! Unless you think building a few mosques or whatever is changing the culture, but to be honest most mosques are architecturally beautiful buildings and it's not like they're forcing anyone inside one any more than churches force people inside them.

And why would only non-white immigrants change the culture? It's not like all white people have the same culture.

95% of immigrants probably speak better English than a lot of English people, and children of immigrants tend to not even have an accent (apart from a Newcastle/etc one or wherever they live).

You can't say that about a lot of British people who retire in Spain!
Reply 27
Who does that though?! Unless you think building a few mosques or whatever is changing the culture, but to be honest most mosques are architecturally beautiful buildings and it's not like they're forcing anyone inside one any more than churches force people inside them.

And why would only non-white immigrants change the culture? It's not like all white people have the same culture.

95% of immigrants probably speak better English than a lot of English people, and children of immigrants tend to not even have an accent (apart from a Newcastle/etc one or wherever they live).

You can't say that about a lot of British people who retire in Spain!

I dont know when color came into this. And a lot of imigrants (not all) make no effort to intergrate into society and stick to their own groups. So immigration is ok as long as its not english people moving abroad?
Reply 28
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Manc990
I dont know when color came into this. And a lot of imigrants (not all) make no effort to intergrate into society and stick to their own groups. So immigration is ok as long as its not english people moving abroad?

I never said that. I said that most immigrants into England make an effort to become part of the country. A lot of British retirees in Spain don't make that same effort.

I think everyone should make an effort to learn the language and local customs if they plan to live somewhere permanently. If I was going to work in the middle east for a few years I wouldn't stop celebrating Christmas, but I wouldn't expect to see huge christmas trees in towns or anything like we have here. But equally, I probably wouldn't permanently move there because I'd miss too many of the things we have in England.
Original post by Curzon
Walking on eggshells here...

We seem to have a unique attitude to this in the UK. If anyone so much as challenges the idea of multiculturalism they are labelled a nazi and obviously must vote BNP.

I think it would be sad if native white people became a minority here. Why? Because we've been here for thousands of years, we're still here, and I don't want to see us go to be honest. It would change our countries. Wales wouldn't really be Wales anymore if there were no native Welsh people left, and I love Wales. I think we should be careful with this. It's just an ideological thing, I think it would be a shame if it came to that. Then again, continuing to use Wales as an example, this is only really a massive issue in the big cities really so Wales dodges it a bit.

Race and diversity is such a touchy thing in the UK when really it should be ok to have a mature, open debate on it. It's great to have other cultures here, but we should preserve our own as well.

Again, colour does not equal nationality! Would Wales be Welsh if it was full of white French people?

What do you call a Native white person? Someone who was actually French and came over in the times of William the Conqueror? I'm sure you're very very very different to the original native Welsh people - culture changes, that's one of its fundamental natures. A hundred years ago, homosexuality was banned in Britain. Now (on the whole) our culture accepts it. That's a big change.

And why can't a non-white person be Welsh?! I think you've confused multiracial and multicultural.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
I never said that. I said that most immigrants into England make an effort to become part of the country. A lot of British retirees in Spain don't make that same effort.

I think everyone should make an effort to learn the language and local customs if they plan to live somewhere permanently. If I was going to work in the middle east for a few years I wouldn't stop celebrating Christmas, but I wouldn't expect to see huge christmas trees in towns or anything like we have here. But equally, I probably wouldn't permanently move there because I'd miss too many of the things we have in England.

I wish i could say that imigrants near me make an effort, but they dont. Plus i think the english are partly to blame as we celebrate st patricks day more than st georges
Original post by Manc990

Original post by Manc990
I wish i could say that imigrants near me make an effort, but they dont. Plus i think the english are partly to blame as we celebrate st patricks day more than st georges

I think like in the wise words of Ricky Gervais, that's because St George's has kid of been taken over by and associated with jingoism. Sad really that racist idiots had to ruin it for everyone.
Reply 33
The day when people looked past the colour of ones skin and ignorant bigotted views would be a happy day for all. I just do not understand racism, I mean we are all Homo sapiens after all.
Reply 34
Why would you care if that happened? If everyone else in your village was the same culture as you (multiracial area definitely doesn't equal multicultural area) then what would be the difference to your hypothetical current white village?

A village full of black people with the same British culture as you would surely be much more similar to your current life than a village full of white Australian or French or American people with their own culture?

This is what annoys me about people who say they aren't racist but support the BNP etc. They are racist (in the most case) because they wont accept someone is British because their skin is a different colour. You can have the most British black guy in the world, but to them he is still some immigrant scum. On the other hand, my cousin (white) would be accepted without a second thought, but his dad want born in Britain!
Reply 35
Original post by Curzon
Walking on eggshells here...

We seem to have a unique attitude to this in the UK. If anyone so much as challenges the idea of multiculturalism they are labelled a nazi and obviously must vote BNP.

I think it would be sad if native white people became a minority here. Why? Because we've been here for thousands of years, we're still here, and I don't want to see us go to be honest. It would change our countries. Wales wouldn't really be Wales anymore if there were no native Welsh people left, and I love Wales. I think we should be careful with this. It's just an ideological thing, I think it would be a shame if it came to that. Then again, continuing to use Wales as an example, this is only really a massive issue in the big cities really so Wales dodges it a bit.

Race and diversity is such a touchy thing in the UK when really it should be ok to have a mature, open debate on it. It's great to have other cultures here, but we should preserve our own as well.

You won't be going. It's not like once they reach 50.001% they're going to hunt down and kill the other 49.999% of the nation in the ultimate bloodsport. If you want to have ze wunderbar racially pure children there's nothing stopping you from going out and finding another racially pure person and procreating.
Reply 36
I don't think it would be a good idea if everyone was mixed, I think it might cause some genetic problems in the future.
So basically this is a racist threat that aims to glorify the genocide of pure white caucasians?

How exactly would it be the "greatest day in British history"? By your logic, I could say the greatest day in British history would be for whites to breed out the darker skinned peoples of Britain. Is that not racist?

The answer is yes it is, of course it is. And so is this thread. So **** you.
No, because it's not something that anybody is actually working for. It's not a target for anyone. It's just happening.
Christ. What has the world come to?

Latest

Trending

Trending