Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my view most people in this country arent middle class its the other way round. I'd say about 50% are working class then the other 2 quaters middle and upper. The reason for this is how can most people say their middle class when you have a person living in a village where i live who owns a top of the range jag and an 8 bedroomed house with a snooker room say their middle class?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is as pointless as the couple of hairs on my toe

ReputationRep:
    People can say they're anything they wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    In my view most people in this country arent middle class its the other way round. I'd say about 50% are working class then the other 2 quaters middle and upper. The reason for this is how can most people say their middle class when you have a person living in a village where i live who owns a top of the range jag and an 8 bedroomed house with a snooker room say their middle class?
    Where on earth do you live that there are more working class people than middle class people?

I'll have to mark "here be dragons" on my atlas in order to ensure I don't stray into the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Where on earth do you live that there are more working class people than middle class people?

I'll have to mark "here be dragons" on my atlas in order to ensure I don't stray into the area.
    Dragons?

Where? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    More people are working class in the UK.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a giant fairy's soiled panties whether you are upper or middle class? I couldn't care less about 'class'.

ReputationRep:
    What actually differentiates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    More people are working class in the UK.

/thread.
    Not

The official definition of middle class is having an income of more than £15,000 a year.

Seeing as the average income is £25,000 according to the ONS then logic dictates that the average person is by definition middle class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Who gives a giant fairy's soiled panties whether you are upper or middle class? I couldn't care less about 'class'.
    Emphatic reply for someone who doesn't care...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leetay)
    Not

The official definition of middle class is having an income of more than £15,000 a year.

Seeing as the average income is £25,000 according to the ONS then logic dictates that the average person is by definition middle class.
    Well thats where people are wrong in my view middle class is more like £60,000 a year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4974460.stm :
    Forty-three percent of people surveyed said they were middle-class, compared with 30% of people in 1966.

But most - 53% - said they were working-class.
    From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6295743.stm :
    57% of us consider ourselves to be working class
    Although not the only way of measuring these things, personal identity is an important indicator of class, and actual figures (not made up by yourself) might inform your thoughts on this topic

ReputationRep:
    Does it actually matter?

We're all people in the end :hippie:

ReputationRep:
    Not

I certainly don't feel middle class. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    Emphatic reply for someone who doesn't care...
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Not

I thought the definition of middle class was linked to having a degree / living in a family where doing a degree is tradition. That might be nonsense lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing.

ReputationRep:
    My parents were most definitely working class (grew up in council estate with parents either staying at home or working industrially). But I would say through Dad's degrees and now his job (RAF - Squadron Leader) that we're middle class. Does it really matter though? The government encourages social mobility (from class to class) but it doesn't really affect your day to day lives.

ReputationRep:
    Not

(Original post by Evangelica)
    I thought the definition of middle class was linked to having a degree / living in a family where doing a degree is tradition. That might be nonsense lol
    There is no official definition of middle class. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    There is no official definition of middle class. :rolleyes:
    Lol the :rollseyes: face is so annoying. I was about to say yeah, I s'pose, but the irritating know-it-all expression of the face makes me not want to agree with you hahaha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.