Turn on thread page Beta

Most people arent middle class watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Lol the :rollseyes: face is so annoying. I was about to say yeah, I s'pose, but the irritating know-it-all expression of the face makes me not want to agree with you hahaha
    The :rolleyes: was aimed mostly at the guy who thinks earning £15,001 a year makes you officially middle class (and that there is such a thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    In my view most people in this country arent middle class its the other way round. I'd say about 50% are working class then the other 2 quaters middle and upper. The reason for this is how can most people say their middle class when you have a person living in a village where i live who owns a top of the range jag and an 8 bedroomed house with a snooker room say their middle class?
    Money isn't always the overriding factor in class. A dustbin man who wins millions in the lottery would be able to afford these things, but I wouldn't could him as middle class, even with millions in the bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    The :rolleyes: was aimed mostly at the guy who thinks earning £15,001 a year makes you officially middle class (and that there is such a thing).
    Lols okay

ReputationRep:
    Middle class is in my opinion, based around the way you speak, what job you work in and how you relax in your leisure time. I mean, if you go down to the pub to watch the football, work in a trade and have a regional accent with many wonderful slang words you are firmly working class. Where as, if you have dinner parties with your neighbours, work as a professional or in a white collar job and speak not exactly received English, but more standardised with less hints of your regional origins then you are middle class.

People like to associate class with your political views, and how much you earn but that doesn't exactly give a clear picture. I know people who earn very little, but still uphold middle class standards and others who earn quite a bit still enjoy the sense of a working community and standards of the working class. You get working class torries, and millionaire labour supporters. People also like to think that working class people are stupid and middle class are more intelligent. I have meet highly intelligent, open minded working class people, and very bigoted and idiotic middle class people. There is no black and white, every thing is a spectrum.

At university I learned something. If a boy drinks wine because he likes the taste, he is probably middle class. However if he buys it because its cheap and quite good at getting you drunk then he is probably working class.

Are majority working class in this country? I believe class is no longer very important, and as all people have access to education, and the ability to find themselves professional jobs if the have the ability it doesn't really matter. Nor is wealth defined due to your profession. Joiners and Builders can earn much more than an administrator. What worries me though is the lack of social mobility is going to make working and middle class people, whose perants don't really have connections unable to find good jobs, or to find themselves in power regardless of their ability or merit

ReputationRep:
    In my view most people in this country arent middle class its the other way round. I'd say about 50% are working class then the other 2 quaters middle and upper. The reason for this is how can most people say their middle class when you have a person living in a village where i live who owns a top of the range jag and an 8 bedroomed house with a snooker room say their middle class?
    I used to think most people were middle class but I actually now think you're right, and there is a higher percentage of working class people than I originally thought.

ReputationRep:
    Class is subjective.

My mother states firmly that we are a working class home. She grew up in a council estate, her father was in the army, and she left school at the earliest opportunity to go into the workforce.

However, we now have quite a comfortable life in a nice semi-detached house. She can afford to go on holidays to see her sister in Spain. I'm going to university and have stayed on at school. I have been called "fairly middle class" by people I know.

It's not something that can really be measured... it's a very subjective set of terms.

(Original post by Swanbow)
    At university I learned something. If a boy drinks wine because he likes the taste, he is probably middle class. However if he buys it because its cheap and quite good at getting you drunk then he is probably working class.
    O_o Boys drinking wine?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leetay)
    Not

The official definition of middle class is having an income of more than £15,000 a year.

Seeing as the average income is £25,000 according to the ONS then logic dictates that the average person is by definition middle class.
    That's completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I would had thought that majority of upper middle class people in TSR is not representive of the UK and were smart enough to know that most people in the UK are not from a middle class background. Gosh!

ReputationRep:
    Well thats where people are wrong in my view middle class is more like £60,000 a year.
    And I think theres a chocolate teapot orbiting Saturn.

Can't prove me wrong, doesn't make me right though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    I would had thought that majority of upper middle class people in TSR is not representive of the UK and were smart enough to know that

most people in the UK are not from a middle class background. Gosh!
    Thats different to most people in the UK not being middle class btw...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Thats different to most people in the UK not being middle class btw...
    Emmm that was what I was talking about.... I do not understand your stance to be honest ....

ReputationRep:
    this is wonderful thanks for the insight

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad to be working class?

ReputationRep:
    Middle class used to mean that you did not have to work and you would still be able to live your desired lifestyle you would get your income from rent, dividents from shares/assets etc
    However, now they classify this as anyone who earns over £ 40 000 a year I think the definition now is just strange I mean if you have to work for your living then surely you are working class

The government are trying to make out people are better off however although people tend to earn more now , relative to the high income earners there is much more inequality....

middle class now ranges too much.....it needs to be defined in more concise terms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoushka1)
    Middle class used to mean that you did not have to work and you would still be able to live your desired lifestyle you would get your income from rent, dividents from shares/assets etc
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Where on earth do you live that there are more working class people than middle class people?

I'll have to mark "here be dragons" on my atlas in order to ensure I don't stray into the area.
    Actually, the phrase used much more often on mediaeval and classical maps was hic leones sunt [here are lions].

Anyway, most people in the country still self-define as working-class (as Andrew Marr told us in his programme on the census yesterday). Of course, some of that may be a cultural or nostalgic vestige, but the income figures do show, as one would expect (since prosperity tends to be built on the backs of the poor), that 50% of people in the country earns less than around £21,000 (i.e. that's the median income).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Source?
    Well, that's a rough definition of the Marxist bourgeoisie, those who own the means of production (i.e. factories, tools etc.) and capital that allow them to live of the employment of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Source?
    Just from learning history generally but if you want sources

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learnin...ssary_m-z.aspx

But it is a confused term.........nobody really knows what it means as it has differed through times and societies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

The term middle class is misleading as it has the connotation of being the sort of average income which it obviously isnt perhaps a reason why people think they are middle class when they are not

ReputationRep:
    Frankly I think anyone who doesn't ride a horse around at weekends killing foxes is probably quite grotty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Where on earth do you live that there are more working class people than middle class people?

I'll have to mark "here be dragons" on my atlas in order to ensure I don't stray into the area.
    What a ridiculous post - I'll bet my arm that your from the South of England. Try going to some Northern towns and then you'll realise how daft your post is.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.