Turn on thread page Beta

Most people arent middle class watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoushka1)
    Just from learning history generally but if you want sources

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learnin...ssary_m-z.aspx

But it is a confused term.........nobody really knows what it means as it has differed through times and societies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

The term middle class is misleading as it has the connotation of being the sort of average income which it obviously isnt perhaps a reason why people think they are middle class when they are not
    Both of thoses links say the middle class are in paid employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, that's a rough definition of the Marxist bourgeoisie, those who own the means of production (i.e. factories, tools etc.) and capital that allow them to live of the employment of others.
    But has never been a definition of the UK middle class.

Dodgy as it means all pensioners are middle class...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    But has never been a definition of the UK middle class.

Dodgy as it means all pensioners are middle class...
    Well, I don't know whether there is an official defintion or why there should be one; I was just giving you one of many suitable definitions.

No, on the Marxist definition they're not, because they don't own the means of production that produces their pension or earn their pension money by investing their own capital or buying and selling commodities etc. [of course, this is focusing only on those who receive the state pension alone] -- they are given money by the state, which in turn collects it from private employers and employees. They aren't proprietors but neither are they wage labourers: they're not a significant part of the economic system (they neither directly produce nor exploit, in Marxist terms), their lifestyles are merely state-funded (in fact, one could say that they live under a form of quasi-communism, but, of course, the existence of private pensions and investments etc. reduces the validity of that comparison, as does the fact that the state gains its revenue from its position overseeing a capitalist economy).

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem is that everyone has a different definition of 'working class' and 'middle class'. Throughout the past, working and lower class people have always been the masses. And I still see myself as in the masses because I am an average person. However, my friend constantly calls me middle class. He is very middle class, and I don't know why he wants me to be middle class too. I stress to him about my roots. My parents and grandparents left school at 14 or 15, my dad worked in a factory for 10 years, my nan lived in a small house and shared a bed with 4 sisters, one of my grandads lived in a council area in Shepherds Bush, and my other grandad lived in the slums in the East End of London, and was so poor that he and his family had to eat sugar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    What a ridiculous post - I'll bet my arm that your from the South of England. Try going to some Northern towns and then you'll realise how daft your post is.
    I've never been to the north as I don't like being mugged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I've never been to the north as I don't like being mugged.
    I'd rather be mugged than shot.

ReputationRep:
    Look at a person who works 80 hours a week for minimum wage.

Do you think you are a better person than them just because you don't have to?

If so you're middle class.

The majority of people in this country are still working class. There are people earning ten times as much as other people who are middle class that are still working class.
    That's the nature of the class system. Those on top look down on those below. Even if they're not actually above them.
    There is another secret class that doesn't fit into this, the arse class. This is the class of people who are utter scumbags and look down on everyone else, but are also looked down upon by everyone else. People in the arse class (usually) don't know they're in the arse class, but everyone that isn't in the arse class does know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    Look at a person who works 80 hours a week for minimum wage.

Do you think you are a better person than them just because you don't have to?

If so you're middle class.

---------------------------------------

The majority of people in this country are still working class. There are people earning ten times as much as other people who are middle class that are still working class.
    You do realise your above definition contradicts your lower discussion...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You do realise your above definition contradicts your lower discussion...?
    No it doesn't.
    Because class isn't related to earnings.

Oh I see what you mean now. You're making the assumption that I'm saying the 80-hour-a-week-at-minimum-wage Factory Worker is working class. Whilst it's possible that he could be middle class, it's unlikely that such a person would look down on someone in a similar situation to himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    No it doesn't.
    Because class isn't related to earnings.

Oh I see what you mean now. You're making the assumption that I'm saying the 80-hour-a-week-at-minimum-wage Factory Worker is working class. Whilst it's possible that he could be middle class, it's unlikely that such a person would look down on someone in a similar situation to himself.
    So anyone who looks down on anyone else is middle class? Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So anyone who looks down on anyone else is middle class? Right?
    well they could be upperclass

or ********s
    but generally, yes.
    it's the nature of a class system
    those on top look down on those below
    you wouldn't say someone like Bill Gates is Upper Class, even though he's richer than pretty much every upper class person in the world.
    He's probably working class himself, though a very very rich worker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    well they could be upperclass

or ********s
    but generally, yes.
    it's the nature of a class system
    those on top look down on those below
    you wouldn't say someone like Bill Gates is Upper Class, even though he's richer than pretty much every upper class person in the world.
    He's probably working class himself, though a very very rich worker
    Fair enough, the concept of Prince William being working class and striking miners being middle class is a bit bizzare but if thats your definition then fair enough, at least you have a definition unlike most who wave the terms around without thinking about them.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.