Turn on thread page Beta

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwin123)
    I wouldnt even dare to say that all black people are from the same background mate. My point was simply about one particular demographic.
    Yup I know, but it sounded like you were making a sweeping statement about all black students. Fair enough, the greater percentage end up at bad schools and don't concentrate on studies, my only point was that they aren't the only black students around lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Yup I know, but it sounded like you were making a sweeping statement about all black students. Fair enough, the greater percentage end up at bad schools and don't concentrate on studies, my only point was that they aren't the only black students around lol.
    Absolutely, Im aware of that. No offence intended.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I guess it is the usual ***Pull out the black card*** bull****.

Nobody is treated unfairly - it is a quite fair system. The only unfairness comes from the Asian international students studying sixth form for just 2 years in the UK (can't speak any English on arrival) and taking away spots from students who have been here longer and who actually try to balance their lives with friends and other activities instead of spending their whole time locked in a study room 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe hardly any black people applied to oxford, I know loads of people who met the requirements or got higher than it but didn't apply to oxford. From what my friend who's white said it's too posh for him and the people are all fake so he doesn't like it when he went for the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Maybe hardly any black people applied to oxford, I know loads of people who met the requirements or got higher than it but didn't apply to oxford. From what my friend who's white said it's too posh for him and the people are all fake so he doesn't like it when he went for the interviews.
    Again. A cultural thing.

ReputationRep:
    This is a ridiculous statistic to be concerned about because only about 2% of the UK's population are black, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, Im aware of that. No offence intended.
    Lol okay

ReputationRep:
    Again. A cultural thing.
    True, though people I know are smart enough to go just don't want to go as well. If I did better in my GCSE's I would have applied, I'm sure other unis there are hardly any other black people and black people there say they love it and they can just mingle with everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    x
    The man in your sig is absolutely delicious!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of black people lack the motivation and drive to go to university full stop. Most of my black friends aren’t even going to university at all because and I quote “they think it’s a waste of time and money”. They also have this believe that even if they go because of how racist people can be they wont be able to find jobs anyway. I can see some truth in this at times but its not enough for me to say well I’m just going to sit at home there. So out of the black people who actually want to go to university half of them are two scared to every apply top ranking universities for fear of what there friends would say or think of them. When you add that all together, half of them not wanting to go and then a ¼ not wanting to apply you aren’t going to have a lot of students that hit the criteria.
    I think grammar schools should be made to enrol more ethnic students who show potential in the 11+, because then more ethnic people would be around people who have that drive and it would be natural to want to apply to a better universities. You cant blame Oxford because by time a student is 18 there’s not much oxford can do but reject them.
    I also know a lot of white people who had the same attitude. Some of them found it too elitist and some were simply overwhelmed by it. Lets not forget that a white kid from a council estate in Liverpool will have very little in common with a middle class Vicars son from some affluent market town, which creates its own type of culture clash too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorHuman)
    Oh, I guess it is the usual ***Pull out the black card*** bull****.

Nobody is treated unfairly - it is a quite fair system. The only unfairness comes from the Asian international students studying sixth form for just 2 years in the UK (can't speak any English on arrival) and taking away spots from students who have been here longer and who actually try to balance their lives with friends and other activities instead of spending their whole time locked in a study room 24/7.
    You know international students (as those students are classified as) aren't part of the uk quota and thus in no way affect how likely a 'home' student is to get a place at university, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    I also know a lot of white people who had the same attitude. Some of them found it too elitist and some were simply overwhelmed by it. Lets not forget that a white kid from a council estate in Liverpool will have very little in common with a middle class Vicars son from some affluent market town, which creates its own type of culture clash too.
    Just what I'm saying, it's just culture, if it fits you then it'll work, but I'm sure that my future will be more benefiting by going there so I don't really mind about this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand that ALL races have there issues with culture and where they grow up etc.. but we cant over look the fact that a lot more white people have a better chance than black/ethnic people to get into a top ranking university and therefore more ethnic people need to be let thought the system until that bridge is gapped. I don’t think EVERY black person should be a lot to get into a grammar school based on nothing but there skin colour but if you have a school of 400 grammar students and 370 of them are white because all the ethnic children attended poorer inner city schools how is that fair? Some of them might have missed out on a place by a few marks/ didn’t get in because 2 many people hit the criteria, but it doesn’t mean they don’t show potential and drive to be a high achiever. I’m not saying it’s the fairest way because it isn’t, it would mean taking some places of white children that might have been as equally deserving but some times scarifies have to be made in order for other races to catch up 10-15 years down the line there should be enough black children in better nurseries, and primary schools to pass the 11+ on there own merits but getting better results but right now and with no chance its not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
    i thought this was common knowledge for anyone who even thought about this issue. the reason why very few black people are at oxford is because black students have the lowest grades of any demographic at gcse and A-level; so why the hell do people blame oxford for this? having low grades and not applying=no oxford place. simples.
    That is not actually true, the lowest demographic is bangladeshi.

ReputationRep:
    This is only proof of how the state school system has failed members of demographics who are most likely to attend inner city schools.

Also, can people stop pulling statistics out of their ass and actually provide some sources? You guys aren't politicians yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arielle)
    The man in your sig is absolutely delicious!
    i know :drool: i need to find a real life version (thank god my BF isnt on TSR he would kill me) :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    The most competitive courses clearly are harder to get into. Classics has an acceptance rate of about 41%, compared to 7% for another Oxford course (I think it's Economics and Mangement).

Black students apply disproportionately for medicine, economics, etc. - which are hardest to get in to.

30/221 = 13.5% which is higher than 7%. I can't see what you're trying to show here.
    I do understand & I have already mentioned it that the black students that apply only do for the most competitive courses. I am just saying that the amount of black students that gain admission is really low.

Where do you get your '7%' from?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand that ALL races have there issues with culture and where they grow up etc.. but we cant over look the fact that a lot more white people have a better chance than black/ethnic people to get into a top ranking university and therefore more ethnic people need to be let thought the system until that bridge is gapped. I don’t think EVERY black person should be a lot to get into a grammar school based on nothing but there skin colour but if you have a school of 400 grammar students and 370 of them are white because all the ethnic children attended poorer inner city schools how is that fair? Some of them might have missed out on a place by a few marks/ didn’t get in because 2 many people hit the criteria, but it doesn’t mean they don’t show potential and drive to be a high achiever. I’m not saying it’s the fairest way because it isn’t, it would mean taking some places of white children that might have been as equally deserving but some times scarifies have to be made in order for other races to catch up 10-15 years down the line there should be enough black children in better nurseries, and primary schools to pass the 11+ on there own merits but getting better results but right now and with no chance its not going to happen.
    Mmmm.. Not sure I can agree with the logic behind that. The amount of places awarded should always have to be based on merit and therefore will always reflect the numbers in terms of ethnic demographics. I don't really see a way around that one.

ReputationRep:
    You, my friend, talk a lot of sense.

ReputationRep:
    i think banging on about peoples skin colour is the real problem.

Who gives a flying fuk what amount of BLACK people went to oxford, does anyone seriously think the admin staff at oxford are rejecting them based on skin colour? no of course not. They are not getting in based on grades. Thats down to them.

Simple as that. NO ONES fault if you dont get the grades but yourself. Even the crappiest of high schools will give you the chance at oxford/cambridge if you want it badly enough.

Stop the race cards and blame games imo. Plenty of white chavski's on the dole aswell. Skin colour isn't the factor here its just low working class fukwits following the friends into petty crime and bunking off lessons. Take some responsibility! jesus!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.