Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Black people usually go to worse secondary schools....then it all goes downhill from there.
    (this is coming from a black person)
    if you go to those kind of schools you have to be super determined and smart to make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwin123)
    Mmmm.. Not sure I can agree with the logic behind that. The amount of places awarded should always have to be based on merit and therefore will always reflect the numbers in terms of ethnic demographics. I don't really see a way around that one.
    I know what your mean but unless something is done were never going to get around the core issue. I mean university was free for a while, I bet the first set of people who had to pay thought it was unfair, and next year the fees rise. Is it fair that some people got an education for just over £3k because they were born a year earlier? No but it happens.. the government either have to do something about it or say there not willing to help.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's important to note the source of this - which is Oxford in response to Cameron claiming they took in one black student and also that they take hardly any from state schools.

Still if there are 452 students who have three As in 2009 - and this is Oxford's own statistic to protect themselves, i.e it might be a very low year and where are the statistics from; UCAS? it's not compulsory to fill in your race, lots of people don't - there was one person from black Caribbean descent and 27 who described themselves as black African who got in - so 28 people. Apparently, 29 000 white students achieved those grades in that year, Oxford has something like 4000 places for undergraduates - 28/452 is obviously a much smaller ratio than 4000/29000. Likewise Oxford can say none of the 452 were statistically strong - had there been thousands to choose from there would be a better pool of candidates.

Essentially Oxford is using poorer black performance for its spectacularly low admission rates of blacks - who usually come from poorer backgrounds. Cameron's main claim was that they took in few students from poor backgrounds. Interestingly, they sidestepped this and blamed an ethnicity for its poorer performance - without acknowledging the ratio or his main point - they come from poorer background, why are private schools getting more people in? And I infer it's because they get a big educational advantage which is obviously socially unfair and also because the interview process allows for a lot of discretion for tutors to take who they like - probably based on applicants having similar backgrounds to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenpachi_89)
    That is not actually true, the lowest demographic is bangladeshi.
    yes kenpachi-san, i realised that. last time i checked on the ONS black carribean students were the worst after bangladeshis. put my point still stands, black students don't get in because they don't apply; they don't apply because they have low grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    I know what your mean but unless something is done were never going to get around the core issue. I mean university was free for a while, I bet the first set of people who had to pay thought it was unfair, and next year the fees rise. Is it fair that some people got an education for just over £3k because they were born a year earlier? No but it happens.. the government either have to do something about it or say there not willing to help.
    Oh yes, I agree that a solution must be found, I'm just buggered if I know how they'd do it. lol

I suppose it boils down to whether or not black people are fairly represented in terms of numbers per capita at University at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what ethnicity/race/school/area you come from. Work hard, get the grades and stop moaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    Doesn't matter what ethnicity/race/school/area you come from. Work hard, get the grades and stop moaning.
    Oh sh**, we never thought about that....
    4 pages explaining why that isn't necessarily possible and thats what you come up with? Inspiring....inspiring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)
    did you go to a bog standard state school?l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    Black people usually go to worse secondary schools....then it all goes downhill from there.
    (this is coming from a black person)
    if you go to those kind of schools you have to be super determined and smart to make it.
    EXACTLY! ANYONE can make it. Just be determined and smart. It's all on you. This positive discrimination crap really irks me. it's insulting.

If your a kid and you want to mess around, fine thats your choice. oxford spots shouldnt be rewarded to you for this over the hard working students who miss out cause your immature and slacking arse gets the spot.

Seriously, there is so many access, later education routes in to uni, even if you mature at 21 you can make it into a top uni. You just have to try.

Black White Asian is all the same to me and should be the same to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manc990)
    This is disgusting, it should go of the colour of skin not exam results .....
    If you are saying what I think you are, that is absolutely ludicrous. Meritocracy is the key word - people have to earn places at universities, whether that is Oxford or Southampton Solent. Nobody should gain any advantage to do with race, gender or anything. EQUALITY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKtown)
    If you are saying what I think you are, that is absolutely ludicrous. Meritocracy is the key word - people have to earn places at universities, whether that is Oxford or Southampton Solent. Nobody should gain any advantage to do with race, gender or anything. EQUALITY.
    Wow. Your a special type of retard. It was clearly sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I do understand & I have already mentioned it that the black students that apply only do for the most competitive courses. I am just saying that the amount of black students that gain admission is really low.

Where do you get your '7%' from?
    An article I read yesterday (I think I found it through a link on the guardian's coverage of Cameron's comment yesterday, or maybe via their link to David Lammy's original article). I don't have a link sorry but if you go on the Oxford website they have all the stats for each course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    well they do actually... My school has put on so many 'how to get into Oxford conferences'.

As you said you went to private school. So get off that high horse and stop talking **** with no experience to back it up. You condescending prick.
    did you even read my post??? Im not on my high horse - Im not the one saying who cares, "Im at aprivate school so stuff all the plebs" etc. etc. I said it was unfair!! What more do you want me to do??
    I feel sympathy for people at underperforming schools - I went to one but my Im lucky enough that my parents can afford to get me out.
    No experience? How about 7 yrs at a state primary, friends at top performing state schools and friends at failing ones. Conrats on the neg rep btw.

And if you think that's condescending good luck with life mate :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    I think grammar schools should be made to enrol more ethnic students who show potential in the 11+, because then more ethnic people would be around people who have that drive and it would be natural to want to apply to a better universities. You cant blame Oxford because by time a student is 18 there’s not much oxford can do but reject them.
    Why should grammar schools enrol more ethnic pupils especially if it is at the cost of a poor white kid whose dream was to go to that specific grammar school. 11+ is an absolutely fair system and many ethnic kids go on to pass and represent the grammar school i know this being a Pakistani who has gone to a private grammar school. As for people saying Blacks are lazy, thats just b/s it's bad parenting on their part as some don't push their kids early on in life so obviously when there older they are not going to have the focus and discipline to succeed in their studies. Blacks are just as able as any other race!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    An article I read yesterday (I think I found it through a link on the guardian's coverage of Cameron's comment yesterday, or maybe via their link to David Lammy's original article). I don't have a link sorry but if you go on the Oxford website they have all the stats for each course.
    Maybe you've got the wrong figure or maybe the wrong concept. But at this point you should understand what I'm trying to imply. Black students are at a disadvatage becuase of their educational background, social class e.t.c. This means that they will be culturally and materially deprived. White middle/upper class students on the other hand, have the benefit of cultural capital which could boost their university application

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you've got the wrong figure or maybe the wrong concept. But at this point you should understand what I'm trying to imply. Black students are at a disadvatage becuase of their educational background, social class e.t.c. This means that they will be culturally and materially deprived. White middle/upper class students on the other hand, have the benefit of cultural capital which could boost their university application
    Assuming you mean lower social class black students and not all black students, I'm not arguing with that. There are black middle/upper class students too.

I don't think "culture" boosts applications, more that middle class students are generally more confident with applications (ie apply to more top unis), study more traditional subjects, etc. There are some schools which don't even offer gcse history or geography and have very few students learning modern languages, and those schools always tend to be in deprived areas.

Just that the figures show that a higher % of black applicants apply for the most competitive courses. So the overall % of black applicants who get places should be lower than the overall % for white students, as there is such a disparity in competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give us the number of white students who did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    There aren't that many black people in the UK to start with, in the 2001 census it was 2% of the population. Oxford's stats show 1.5% of their students are black.

Yes half a percent lower but when you are dealing with small numbers that's a pretty good match!
    (Original post by Arielle)
    This is a ridiculous statistic to be concerned about because only about 2% of the UK's population are black, anyway!
    This 2% is not a reflection of the percentage of black students going through the admissions cycle; it includes the older generation too, who are completely inrrelevant. It's not as good a match as you might think.

I would like to know how the number of black students going through admissions compares to the 1.5% of black students at Oxford. Since this generation has been becoming more diverse, I'd imagine a higher percentage than 2%, but I can't find a source...

ReputationRep:
    becuase oxford has high standards its racist...
    hey lots of white people dont meet the standards too....
    ****in tories
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First of all, a recent report concluded that out of the 452 black students that achieved the AAA A'level grade, 49% of those applied to the most competitive courses at Oxford such as Medicine e.t.c. However 29,000 white students achieved this grade but only 28% applied to Oxford.

28% of black students applied for medicine while 7% white students applied for that same course.

Some reasons why this figure looks like this could be the reasons of cultural capital and cultural deprivation. More white middle/upper class students would have attended a private school hence boosting their application to Oxford. If only we could see the figures of how many of those black students attended private schools then we could make a valid conclusion.

I generally think it is down to the class system that causes all these inequality. White upper/middle class family can sometimes buy their way into education through private tuition, moving to expensive locations in order to get into the best school/s. The amount of black background that does the same will be really really low. Universities can also find out what location you live therefore they know if you live in deprived area or not.

It is simply unfair to reject a capable student just because they might have attended a comprehensive school instead of a private school.

Do you think university actually do that? I do not believe admission selectors have a lot of time to actually search across the UK to find out where each applicant came from?

I think it's just that people who don't get enough grades, don't get in. We are talking abtou Oxford, the world renowed university. I am not surprised that many people don't get in cos it is so hard. Especially when you try to apply for competitive courses. Do you expect the university to be lenient and accept students who miss a grade, whether it is only just one mark or two marks off. It is life. It is like that for every university. I am no Oxbridge fan, but I don't understand why only Oxford university get this criticism.

What about LSE? It accepts large number of international students, many pepole I know at LSE are Asians. Noone said anything about it? .. People get accepted into the uni because they have enough grades, if they don't then they won't get in. Anyway, for competitive courses and that required interview, the admission selector do not only look at grades. They look at the personalities as well. Many people I know got rejected from Oxford because they don't seem confident enough and they did not represent themselves well enough at the interview. Some people manage to get A*s at GCSEs and A-levels but didn't get into Oxford because getting an A grade doesn't mean you suit to the subject.

For subject such as Politics, you need to be confident you have to show off at the interview what you know and you are enthusiatic to persue careers in Politics or to do the course. So that might be the case for Black people. Many white people got rejected,t oo you know? Less amount of black people applied, so smaller amount of them get accepted than that of the whites.

I do not think it's about race or skin colour. At all. It may have been just coincidence that this year only few of them made it through to Oxford.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.