Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwin123)
    Oh sh**, we never thought about that....
    4 pages explaining why that isn't necessarily possible and thats what you come up with? Inspiring....inspiring
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    This 2% is not a reflection of the percentage of black students going through the admissions cycle; it includes the older generation too, who are completely inrrelevant. It's not as good a match as you might think.

I would like to know how the number of black students going through admissions compares to the 1.5% of black students at Oxford. Since this generation has been becoming more diverse, I'd imagine a higher percentage than 2%, but I can't find a source...
    I'd imagine so too but I can't find a source either.
    However you can't just compare it to applicants to all unis because not all those applicants have the required grades (AAA excl general studies; AAA excl general studies and including no more than 1 'non-preferred' subject for Cambridge).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    did you go to a bog standard state school?l
    Yeah my school is rubbish. 4 out of the 7 local schools are grammar, so whats left at my school is the rif raf. Saw my sig and presumed I'm grammar/private?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Assuming you mean lower social class black students and not all black students, I'm not arguing with that. There are black middle/upper class students too.

I don't think "culture" boosts applications, more that middle class students are generally more confident with applications (ie apply to more top unis), study more traditional subjects, etc. There are some schools which don't even offer gcse history or geography and have very few students learning modern languages, and those schools always tend to be in deprived areas.

Just that the figures show that a higher % of black applicants apply for the most competitive courses. So the overall % of black applicants who get places should be lower than the overall % for white students, as there is such a disparity in competitiveness.
    Yeah what you say make sense and I have said in recent thread too that lots of white students tend to pick up traditional subject so yes it is fair if they do earn their place.

It is different for black students who might just pick up subjects they like or the ones they think they can easily do well in. Same happened to me, I wasn't aware of any traditional subjects before deciding what subjects to pick. This is where cultural capital comes in. Most white students would have known what is the 'so called' traditional and not so called traditional subjects which they can keep away from. It is difficult for black students becuase our parents did not even dream of going through the phase of going to university.

I am not saying Oxford's admission process is unfair but maybe they do need to stop the private school admission thing. This is true!!!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you mean lower social class black students and not all black students, I'm not arguing with that. There are black middle/upper class students too.

I don't think "culture" boosts applications, more that middle class students are generally more confident with applications (ie apply to more top unis), study more traditional subjects, etc. There are some schools which don't even offer gcse history or geography and have very few students learning modern languages, and those schools always tend to be in deprived areas.

Just that the figures show that a higher % of black applicants apply for the most competitive courses. So the overall % of black applicants who get places should be lower than the overall % for white students, as there is such a disparity in competitiveness.
    Yeah what you say make sense and I have said in recent thread too that lots of white students tend to pick up traditional subject so yes it is fair if they do earn their place.

It is different for black students who might just pick up subjects they like or the ones they think they can easily do well in. Same happened to me, I wasn't aware of any traditional subjects before deciding what subjects to pick. This is where cultural capital comes in. Most white students would have known what is the 'so called' traditional and not so called traditional subjects which they can keep away from. It is difficult for black students becuase our parents did not even dream of going through the phase of going to university.

I am not saying Oxford's admission process is unfair but maybe they do need to stop the private school admission thing. This is true!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    they do need to stop the private school admission thing.
    What "private school admission thing"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teadrinker)
    Oxford defends its lack of blacks by claiming the statistics were skewed and that they in fact admitted 30 to 40 students of African heritage last year. They then claim that:

"only 452 black students across the country had even achieved the A-level results demanded by Oxford to meet its minimum entry requirements for the 2009-10 academic year." [1]

Do you reckon this statistic is accurate? When I did AS levels I wasn't aware the examiners knew my ethnicity.

If it IS accurate, what do people make of it? Where does the fault lie? Is it a damning indictment of the low aspirations of British students of African heritage, or is it society wot is to blame?
    Why is there so much emphasis on race? Can't people enter Oxford or Cambridge based on ability?
    When I earn and have kids- I will send them to private school so they can better themselves, careers and future.
    I think your last statement is pretty pathetic- I find that most people of African heritage do have aspirations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teadrinker)
    Oxford defends its lack of blacks by claiming the statistics were skewed and that they in fact admitted 30 to 40 students of African heritage last year. They then claim that:

"only 452 black students across the country had even achieved the A-level results demanded by Oxford to meet its minimum entry requirements for the 2009-10 academic year." [1]

Do you reckon this statistic is accurate? When I did AS levels I wasn't aware the examiners knew my ethnicity.

If it IS accurate, what do people make of it? Where does the fault lie? Is it a damning indictment of the low aspirations of British students of African heritage, or is it society wot is to blame?
    **** you! I don't even wanna go to oxford anyway, if i wanted to go to oxbridge I'd go to Cambridge not Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    This topic is ludicriously funny. Intellect is independent of race. Are you trying to imply that Oxford is racist or discriminating?

Great, I'm going to be neg repped now...
    Exactly my thoughts. If only 452 black people get into Oxford, do you know what that means? Yes, it means only 452 people who were black met Oxfords strict entry requirements. What do you hope to do with this information? It is useless. People should not be implying that Oxford is discriminating against people of different ethnicity when they are doing more now than they have ever done to enable access to people from poor backgrounds.

And this fictitious 'problem' that people seem to think it is, how are you going to remedy it? If you allow more black people in because it looks better on 'equality reports' then aren't you discriminating against white people who are being turned away simply because they are white?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    who even cares?!
    This is just a guess but are you not black?

ReputationRep:

But it's not dependent on their race though - I'm mixed race, did traditional subjects etc etc. But I'm middle class.
    There are 1000s of white children doing non-traditional subjects, and they tend to be at schools in deprived/working class areas.

Not all black students are the same - plenty of non-white parents went to university!

You can't say that all black students have less "cultural capital" and have uninformed (regarding higher education) parents because that's clearly not true. If you look at the stats, access to HE is actually far more divided on social class/socio-economic lines than any other way. A higher % of black people are non-middle/upper class than white people, which is why it can appear affected by race.

And why can't privately educated people go to Oxford? What?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If I applied to Oxford and get rejected I would not EVER blame them. It is not fair for private school students f they have the right qualities and everything that Oxford want but get rejected because the uni has to accept someone else from comprehensive schools who has lower ability. I am pretty sure that people from less good schools will make it in to Oxford if they have higher ability than those from private schools. It is just that majority of private educated students are from supportive parents, they recive better education and they have been taught differently resulting in having relatively greater chance of getting in. It happens so many times that it may seem as if the uni is discriminating against conprehensive schools, race or skin colours.. when to be honest, it is just all about the ability fo the person. And not about skin colours. :dontknow:

I am not an Oxbridge supporter or anything. I am just saying what I think.

I would be saying the same thing for other unis in the same case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    What "private school admission thing"?
    I am just generally talking about the fact that Oxbridge do tend to favour applicants from private schools!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well all ill say is i aim to be one of them this year
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)

And this fictitious 'problem' that people seem to think it is, how are you going to remedy it? If you allow more black people in because it looks better on 'equality reports' then aren't you discriminating against white people who are being turned away simply because they are white?
    Seconded.

ReputationRep:
    I am just generally talking about the fact that Oxbridge do tend to favour applicants from private schools!
    That is nonsense! They both accept roughly the same proportion of applicants from the state sector as they do from the private sector.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can tell the statistic is based on UCAS data. According to The Graun, 452 black students obtained AAA offers as compared to 36,000 UK students in total.

Black applicants to Oxford disproportionately apply for Medicine and for Economics and
    Management, two subjects with extremely low success rates. In medicine, 103 black AAA students applied whereas only 133 offers were made by Oxford for medicine to UK students in 2009. Wallace, D (2010).

Nearly half of black applicants are applying for the same three subjects - the hardest ones to get places for. They are therefore competing primarily amongst themselves for the few places that exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That is nonsense! They both accept roughly the same proportion of applicants from the state sector as they do from the private sector.
    I personally don't think that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine so too but I can't find a source either.
    However you can't just compare it to applicants to all unis because not all those applicants have the required grades (AAA excl general studies; AAA excl general studies and including no more than 1 'non-preferred' subject for Cambridge).
    True. What I want to know is how the % (of applicants with AAA excl general studies which are black) compares to the 1.5% (of Oxford students who are black).

ReputationRep:
    No, on average private school's generally preform better, have better preparation for oxbridge interviews, small class sizes, more supportive teachers who know uni applications inside out etc...

All of these small perks make private school kids stronger applicants (grades and interview wise) than there state counterparts.

I went to a state school and I got no university help what so ever, I had to research everything myself and all the school did for me was write my referance and send my form off.

Oxbridge only let in the best (or what they see as the best during the interview assuming grades are generally the same across applicants)
    Private school kids will have more interview practise, understand what oxbridge want to see in a student and therefore be more likely to be made an offer.

There is no preferance oxbridge will take what they think is the best student regardless of school/race/gender etc...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.