Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Grammar schools still exist you know..:rolleyes:
    Not for me they dont (none in my county or anywhere near )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    So you've shifted your position from "That is nonsense! They both accept roughly the same proportion of applicants" to one of accepting they do favour privately educated applicants, but only because there's an element of 'selection' there.

Well that's very interesting because the view of most parents I know is that the only genuine selection process is whether or not you can afford the tuition fees.
    I haven't shifted anything. The Oxford admissions tutors, I am quite sure, pay zero attention to which school the candidate has come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil1541)
    Yes but on the students own academic merit, the student still needs to be smart, show subject flair and genuine interest in the interview.

A state school student can do all of these off his own back but its just generally seen as harder due to lack of support (sweeping generalisation here)

If we get two identical students from a state and private school and get them both to apply, arguably they should have equal chances of getting in, there's nothing stopping a state school children with the right grades motivation and subject flair from getting a place.

All private schools do, is give you more help if you need it, you can do just as well at a state school just you need to be arguably more disciplined and focussed from the beginning as your school is not going to spoon feed you through the process

(I am making generalisations here, obviously not all private schools spoon feed there students with uni information and interview tips and some state schools offer tons of oxbridge support)

Private schools do have slight advantages over there state counterparts but at the end of the day its the student who is being interviewed/grades which count and no school can garuantee you straight A* and an offer from oxbridge.
    Completely agree with you in that sense

What I could have also said is that privately educated students are probably more confident with the system when applying compared to their state school counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    :dry:
    Well the parents ignorance is down to them being poorly educated themselves so it’s basically a vicious circle and something has to break it. That is my idea and like it or not the idea would work and it wouldn’t take long. As for it being at the expense of a poor white person who has dreamed of going to a grammar school as I said earlier maybe it isn’t fair but sometimes life isn’t. Blacks aren’t just as able as any other race! We have had years of oppression! Did I miss the history book that recalled the Pakistani slave trade? No didn’t think so. We have been held back and it’s only been 300 years (about 3 generations) since it ended so were still not as able as every other race. Its getting better but you don’t say racist discrimination isn’t still around.

Have a cookie while you think about that :cookie:
    Totally agree, except 300 years is more like 10 generations..........the slave trade was abolished a long time ago, and britain is unusually liberal in that it was us who were the first EVER to abolish it anywhere. So for this to happen here is a bit worrying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    So despite social/economic background being the main (if not only factor) that seems to be causing these disparities, instead of easing entry based on this factor you go straight to race?

I see no reason why a poor, deprived, white child should be discriminated against in favour of a child from a wealthy, stable family, just because of the colour of his/her skin...

Racism takes many forms and I find yours just as disgusting as any BNP inspired hate campaign...

Aside from that, with ethnic minorities making up ~20% of the Oxford intake, I find it somewhat funny it still manages to be declared universally racist by people...
    :lolwut: Ok then LOOOOL

I never said oxford was racist if you refer back to my early post I said we can’t blame oxford so get your fact right because you 1) call me racist and 2) say stupid things like I’m as bad a BNP campaign. That actually made me LOL your ignorance is beyond belief!

ReputationRep:
    only 452 black students got 3 As ... yeah right

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about Oxford anyway? I don't want to be surrounded by snobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mensorah)
    only 452 black students got 3 As ... yeah right
    What an intelligent contribution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzer66)
    Totally agree, except 300 years is more like 10 generations..........the slave trade was abolished a long time ago, and britain is unusually liberal in that it was us who were the first EVER to abolish it anywhere. So for this to happen here is a bit worrying
    my bad with the amount of genarations it is

Maybe it stopped here first but racism is still around, but that isn’t even the main issue. People would stop regarding black people in a negative way if we were more educated and have a better start to life.

(Original post by DR.music)
    Who cares about Oxford anyway? I don't want to be surrounded by snobs
    What a sincere and helpful comment to make. Yes, because everyone who attends Oxford is a snob. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzer66)
    Well I care because it's plain unfair and grammar schools should be brought back to enable poor people (of any ethnicity) compete for top universities - even I at a private school think it's unfair.

EDIT: Hmmmm nice to get negged for showing sympathy and decency. Just shows that I should be the Conservative everyone expects of me then...
    You're being negged because you're bringing race into something that doesn't need race involved. By your own admission they didn't meet the admissions criteria.

Wheres the problem in that??? Would you rather Oxford accepts people based on race?? No they accept people based on their acedemic achievements which is the way it should be.

Its not like they've gone "Oh loads of black students met our criteria but we rejected them because they were black".

So sod off with your political correctness rubbish, there is nothing wrong here.

Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way there is a reason why not as many blacks make the grade, but society doesn't like the reason and people who point it out get branded racists so I'm going to leave it at this: the people who get the grade and impress in the interview get in, how is that unfair in anyway shape or form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    :lolwut: Ok then LOOOOL

I never said oxford was racist if you refer back to my early post I said we can’t blame oxford so get your fact right because you 1) call me racist and 2) say stupid things like I’m as bad a BNP campaign. That actually made me LOL your ignorance is beyond belief!
    1) I never said you did...?

2) You're calling for discrimination against any non-black race: I find it difficult to understant how that can even be considered not racist...?

While that comparision was somewhat exaggerated, it's more the fact that you don't even seem to realise that your views are racist that I find disgusting.

Ignorance? Please humour me and tell me what you have seen to draw this conclusion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Maybe, but probably not because they went to private schools. It is more likely because they are, as a group, a little bit brighter and have significantly better environments at home - in terms of attitude towards education, discipline, focus,and expectation, not money.
    Yeah it's not down to money at all. It's down to factors like getting the maximum support by their teachers towards application, helping them to overcome interview stage e.t.c. They are probably also generally more confident.

ReputationRep:
    What Ox has to say on the matter:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the...es/101307.html

ReputationRep:
    As much as I don't like the Oxbridge bubble you have to admire them for standing by their convictions and refusing to play politics. Giving people special treatment based on the colour of their skin does not promote equality it fuels resentment, widens division and devalues the achievements of those who benefit from them.

If the government want more black kids in university it's a fairly easy problem to solve and it comes down to housing, get rid of the run down council estates and build more low cost housing across a greater area.

All estates do is allow young people with no money and no prospects to feed from each others ignorance whilst destroying their local environment and decreasing the quality of life of everyone around them.

Greater variety in state housing leads to greater variety of students in schools, if you do away with the system of piling everyone into council estates their local schools may once again become places of learning rather than a battleground where kids from 5 different estates get together to kick the ever living **** out of each other on a daily basis. When kids now have an environment which is geared toward learning rather than survival the schools will improve, the students will improve, results will improve and then maybe we'll actually be in a position to expose some systematic racism.

Here and now, this really doesn't sound like Oxfords problem to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I agree with the argument that you put across. I am not saying that private educated people should not go to Oxford. All I am saying is that the are the ones that are likely to gain admission into Oxford or what do you think?
    It depends. The vast majority of private schools are very very selective.
    So it stands to reason that a higher % of their pupils would get in, compared to a school which isn't selective and has a wide variety of pupils doing BTECs, A levels etc.

There are non selective private schools too, I live quite near them. But very very very few of their pupils go to Oxbridge, in fact a lower % than the average comprehensive school. Which also makes sense.

There are lots of arguments about interview training etc. and I guess if you were exactly borderline it could tip you over the edge and get you an offer. But the interviewers have loads of training, that's why they use questions that can seem obscure - to see how you think, and stop people memorising all the answers. Also, I know state schools/colleges who have dedicated Oxbridge advisors, and I know private schools who don't have any sort of Oxbridge preparation whatsoever. So to categorise schools arbitrarily doesn't really work.

Anyway, if you look at this year's stats (on the website and most newspaper websites), the percentage of state school pupils accepted was within 2% of the percentage who applied. I can't remember the figures exactly but basically, say 50% of applicants were from state schools, then between 48% and 52% of accepted pupils were from state schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What a sincere and helpful comment to make. Yes, because everyone who attends Oxford is a snob. :rolleyes:
    LOL...I know

Being a black person myself I didn't apply there because I didn't like their medicine course. But I have always had a perception of Oxbridge as a place full of snobs, with a bunch of elitists and with few black people. Most black people I know share this view. Why I would want to apply there I do not know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    1) I never said you did...?

2) You're calling for discrimination against any non-black race: I find it difficult to understant how that can even be considered not racist...?

While that comparision was somewhat exaggerated, it's more the fact that you don't even seem to realise that your views are racist that I find disgusting.

Ignorance? Please humour me and tell me what you have seen to draw this conclusion...

I’ll break it down because I don’t think you got it…
    I said MORE not ALL ethnic people should be enrolled into grammar schools who SHOW potential. That means not just any old ethnic person on the street, ones that actually have some drive to success but maybe don’t have parents who are pushing them or just didn’t go to a good enough primary school to get the highest grades achieved by there white counter parts. I hope you now understand

Your ignorant because your saying that ^^^^ is as bad as BNP campaign, which is totally BS to put it in the nicest terms possibly, but its all personally opinion, you obviously feel it’s fair that many ethics people don’t have a chance to achieve the higher grades because there education was held back. Personally I don’t think it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR.music)
    LOL...I know

Being a black person myself I didn't apply there because I didn't like their medicine course. But I have always had a perception of Oxbridge as a place full of snobs, with a bunch of elitists and with few black people. Most black people I know share this view. Why I would want to apply there I do not know
    This is the opinion that will forever hold black people back :sad: even thought for the exactly same reasons you couldn’t pay me to go Oxbridge LOL

ReputationRep:
    This theard will not end well

:catfight:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.