Turn on thread page Beta

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements! watch

ReputationRep:
    Whoever began trend spotting would never have thought it would get blown massively out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    You still don’t get it :erm: I’m not sure how to break it down to anymore... LOL

It’s a shame your narrow minded view is getting in the way of the bigger picture..

Huh? Not sure how you came to that? I'm not the narrow minded person that believes the problem can be solved by racist policies.

Don’t tell me what I can and can not reply to who are you? You’re a nobody to me and vice versa so don’t tell me what to do. You can get off your high horse with the whole “all I want to do is help disadvantaged people” BS because nobodies buying it and the whole point of grammar schools is to help more disadvantaged children anyway as most of the rich ones go to grammar schools you have to pay for so that argument is out the window.
    I go to a grammar school, I am very poor, many others are from the same background. Not sure what you're going on about here...?

I don’t know the meaning of racist? :lolwut: Really, that’s your augment? LOL
    You don't seem to realise that to discriminate against white people is racist... and if you do, you don't see anything wrong with that...?

I really don’t wish to argue with you because you seem to have a skewed view of everything so you are right and I am wrong. My uneducated brain cant get around everything you’ve been saying.
    "Skewed view of everything" - i.e. that we should help people from disadvantaged backgrounds regardless of race? I'm really sorry you don't agree with that... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b-beauty)
    oxford is elitist...not just based on race but also on class. If you are not from a private school, you have a slim chance of getting it. Its one of those uni's which is forced to take a handful...the so called 'token' just to show that they are practising fairness but really..it pains them.
    Thanks for enlightening us there. I'm glad to know my medical education is entirely based on the 'token' gift of a government-pleasing tutor and nothing to do with any merit of my own.

Also, I'd hardly call 50% of the intake a token amount. In fact, considering this is roughly the same proportion that apply I would suggest that the willingness to provide 'token offers' has not been exhausted and that any limitations lie further down the pipeline.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of black people have weird mindsets.

ReputationRep:
    They should study harder then to get in... its not anybody's fault, except theirs!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Why is there so much emphasis on race? Can't people enter Oxford or Cambridge based on ability?
    When I earn and have kids- I will send them to private school so they can better themselves, careers and future.
    I think your last statement is pretty pathetic- I find that most people of African heritage do have aspirations.
    I read the article and found it intriguing. I thought I'd set the TSR crowd on the article to see what they thought. I posted nothing of my own opinions. Statements are not usually followed by question marks, you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    that's funny considering i'm half black
    The funny thing is that you felt it necessary to comment that the rather shocking educational statistics which my post referred to weren't of any importance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    You're being negged because you're bringing race into something that doesn't need race involved. By your own admission they didn't meet the admissions criteria.

Wheres the problem in that??? Would you rather Oxford accepts people based on race?? No they accept people based on their acedemic achievements which is the way it should be.

Its not like they've gone "Oh loads of black students met our criteria but we rejected them because they were black".

So sod off with your political correctness rubbish, there is nothing wrong here.

Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way there is a reason why not as many blacks make the grade, but society doesn't like the reason and people who point it out get branded racists so I'm going to leave it at this: the people who get the grade and impress in the interview get in, how is that unfair in anyway shape or form
    But this is all about race?? :confused: The middle class has a monopoly on jobs and influence in this country and is majority white (by a long shot) - that's not to say that all white people are middle class though!
    I know it is and should be a meritocracy, but this country is fundamentally NOT democratic or meritocratic because many people either don't vote out of desperation or apathy and many people are limited in scope and opportunity by birth. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teadrinker)
    The funny thing is that you felt it necessary to comment that the rather shocking educational statistics which my post referred to weren't of any importance.
    COOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    **** you! I don't even wanna go to oxford anyway, if i wanted to go to oxbridge I'd go to Cambridge not Oxford
    Ok brother. Just make sure you get the grades, eh....

ReputationRep:
    COOL!
    Yeah!! high fives!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    :facepalm:

If it so happens that black students don't have sufficient qualifications to get into Oxford, then so be it. It would be wrong to make it easier or harder for someone to get into a university because of their skin colour.
    I think you are missing the point of my ironic phrasing. But nevermind. innit.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware, that was the number of black students who applied to Oxford that year, not the number in the UK who met the entry requirements, which is absolutely ridiculous, and yet another case of the shameless media cutting up facts with a scalpel and sewing it back together in its own fashion. The only reason so few students at Oxford are black or from ethnic minorities is because they are LESS LIKELY TO APPLY. That's all there is to it really, not this garbled nonsense we are fed by the media about Oxford discriminating. If anyone with two brain cells sat down and thought about it logically, they might think of something along these lines: Oxford has an international academic reputation. It wants to maintain that reputation by accepting students who have the potential to become leaders in their fields. Anyone can have this potential, wherever they come from. If Oxford discriminated against certain groups, they would miss out on some of these people who have that potential. Hence, Oxford would lose out. Oxford does not want to lose out. Hence, it does not and will not discriminate based on anything other than academic potential - not even merit (i.e. grades etc.), only the potential to learn and become the best.

On re-reading, this may sound a bit like a rant, but that's only because I get really annoyed when people try to put down the Uni for discriminating and not making an effort to promote Access, when people like myself and loads of others spend a significant amount of our free time organising, running and promoting things like Shadowing, School visits and wider outreach events. It is really frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    It’s probably not that bad I just wouldn’t want to go because I would feel out of place but that’s my personal issue. I think a lot of black people strive to go to top ranking universities but personally I know ill do just as well if I go to any uni so it doesn’t matter to me.
    Same, I would feel out of place too (it's a shared personal issue ).

ReputationRep:
    who even cares?!
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    That is exactly the same view I hold on to. I am black also and I agree with all D.R music is saying.
    Hmm. Have you ever considered that if you want to do well in life and have a highly successful career you are going to have to get on well with, and compete with, these people. It is much easier to do both if you have been educated with them and established a network of contacts among them. They are not the enemy, nor are they to be despised, they are to be emulated.

ReputationRep:
    It should be based entirely on the results of the students not the colour of their skin. The fact that proportionally there are a large number of black students living in deprived areas and recieving a substandard education is an unfortunate fact, and I think most people would support responsible attempts to change that. However to force institutions to fill a certain racial quota at the sacrifice of the quality of student would entirely undermine the whole concept of competition for places.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford defends its lack of blacks by claiming the statistics were skewed and that they in fact admitted 30 to 40 students of African heritage last year. They then claim that:

"only 452 black students across the country had even achieved the A-level results demanded by Oxford to meet its minimum entry requirements for the 2009-10 academic year." [1]

Do you reckon this statistic is accurate? When I did AS levels I wasn't aware the examiners knew my ethnicity.

If it IS accurate, what do people make of it? Where does the fault lie? Is it a damning indictment of the low aspirations of British students of African heritage, or is it society wot is to blame?
    Who cares? Oxford is NOT racist, just because more white people met the requirements just not make it so! There are more white people in the UK than black, and black are typically less educated (In general, and I'm not saying less intelligent) because they're immigrants and have not received the same quality of education most UK students have. Equality is stupid, and if nothing is 50/50 they're deemed as racist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    Who cares? Oxford is NOT racist, just because more white people met the requirements just not make it so! There are more white people in the UK than black, and black are typically less educated (In general, and I'm not saying less intelligent) because they're immigrants and have not received the same quality of education most UK students have. Equality is stupid, and if nothing is 50/50 they're deemed as racist!
    I never implied Oxford was racist. I was intrigued by the article and thought it would be a good topic to post - guaranteed to start some writhing TSR angst.

"who cares" is not the right attitude though. There is an interesting story in these statistics, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Ok brother. Just make sure you get the grades, eh....
    my ucas point surpasses the grades required but that's far from the point

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.