Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What to do!

I applied to Reading University, because I was worried about debt and thought that it would be best to live at home.

Now that I've decided, lifes to short to worry about debt I want to study in the city, far away from home and have fun.

I took a year out to decide what I wanted to do, initially I was going to study German. But, seriously, millions of people can speak German and English without a degree.

I need to choose a course with a future, I dont want to go straight into work as its harder to find like minded people as in work, ive found that its a mix of older and younger people that have done there partying long ago and want no more of it.

Another reason i want to go to university if for the night life, i love my friends but they're not really interested in going out and getting messy. which i am, very much so.

Is it too late to apply through UCAS, the deadline is the 31st of June but does that leave time to apply for accomodation etc?

Does anyone know which university course have the highest success rates when it comes to employment?

Lastly, how much fun is university, studying aside. Ive never had enough money to go out as often as I like. Ive only been clubbing in a few towns and feel i'm missing out on so much because im 19 and have only been out a few times, if this normal at all? Now that im working I have disposable income, and guess what, no one wants to go out. Which is why going to university and making friends with similar intrests looks appealing.

Advertisement has always been interesting to me, ive found the perfect course in London met uni. Everything seems perfect, apart from the expensive accomodation. But it is in London so im not really surprised. A collegue of mine told me its a very hard market to brake into and the internet says the same.

Ive pretty much exhausted every careers advise resourse there is, and they all give the same banal answers which are unhelpful and end with "at the end of the day its your choice"

so hopefully i'll get some good honest advice from people here, lets do this.
    xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nthom)
    What to do!

I applied to Reading University, because I was worried about debt and thought that it would be best to live at home.

Now that I've decided, lifes to short to worry about debt I want to study in the city, far away from home and have fun.

I took a year out to decide what I wanted to do, initially I was going to study German. But, seriously, millions of people can speak German and English without a degree.

I need to choose a course with a future, I dont want to go straight into work as its harder to find like minded people as in work, ive found that its a mix of older and younger people that have done there partying long ago and want no more of it.

Another reason i want to go to university if for the night life, i love my friends but they're not really interested in going out and getting messy. which i am, very much so.

Is it too late to apply through UCAS, the deadline is the 31st of June but does that leave time to apply for accomodation etc?

Does anyone know which university course have the highest success rates when it comes to employment?

Lastly, how much fun is university, studying aside. Ive never had enough money to go out as often as I like. Ive only been clubbing in a few towns and feel i'm missing out on so much because im 19 and have only been out a few times, if this normal at all? Now that im working I have disposable income, and guess what, no one wants to go out. Which is why going to university and making friends with similar intrests looks appealing.

Advertisement has always been interesting to me, ive found the perfect course in London met uni. Everything seems perfect, apart from the expensive accomodation. But it is in London so im not really surprised. A collegue of mine told me its a very hard market to brake into and the internet says the same.

Ive pretty much exhausted every careers advise resourse there is, and they all give the same banal answers which are unhelpful and end with "at the end of the day its your choice"

so hopefully i'll get some good honest advice from people here, lets do this.
    xxxxxxxx
    As you're so far past the UCAS deadline of 15th January, I doubt many universities would still be accepting applications, even if you did ask before you applied.

You need to study something you're interested in, not just what you think will give you the best employability (though it would be a bonus if you could choose a course that encompasses both). Plus, partying isn't the main element at university, and after Freshers Week when it all dies down, you may find it pretty dull if you're only going for the nights out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    As you're so far past the UCAS deadline of 15th January, I doubt many universities would still be accepting applications, even if you did ask before you applied.

You need to study something you're interested in, not just what you think will give you the best employability (though it would be a bonus if you could choose a course that encompasses both). Plus, partying isn't the main element at university, and after Freshers Week when it all dies down, you may find it pretty dull if you're only going for the nights out.
    I agree with this 100%

Also, by the way I live just outside of Reading so you are really close to me!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.