Turn on thread page Beta

Stocks and Shares - Where to start? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure there's a thread already out there for this but I haven't found it yet.

At this stage I feel as though I understand the whole system of stocks and share prices and strategies but I just don't know how to start trading.
    Where to get an account and what sort of account are what I'm really after here.

I only intend to play around with £500 or so, so a broker who charges £50 a month might not be very appropriate.

So... suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Try TD waterhouse they charge £8.95 for any transaction.......and they have a whole range of securities you can deal with through them i.e UK stocks, US stocks, CFDs, FX ect..

EDIT: here is the link for the official stocks & shares thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1010366

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that threads all about the trading itself and not how to start out.
    I'll look into TD waterhouse though. Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    With £500 don't expect to make much, or anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    you would need a larger investment unless you want to risk the actual amount even more i prefer llyods tsb trading account because it offers you a simple stock screening system. You need to do your research i'd recommended watching the market for atleast a year before you feel confident enough to invest. Depends on your strategy Short term or long term for 500 i'd recommended long term something your happy with, with a good dividend yield and low beta overall

ReputationRep:
    With £500 you could probably buy one *****. But you're not a real pimp until you have at least 2.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.