Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was able to identify the carbon with the red square above it as a chiral centre.

My question is why the one with the green square NOT a chiral centre ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Its only bonded to 3 other atoms, and chiral centres need to be bonded to 4 different groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Its only bonded to 3 other atoms, and chiral centres need to be bonded to 4 different groups
    How ? There are four. One to the oxygen, one to the carbon below it, one to the carbon above it and the last to a hydrogen.

ReputationRep:
    When a carbon is a member of a benzene ring, it cannot be chiral, as it cannot bond to four different groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    How ? There are four. One to the oxygen, one to the carbon below it, one to the carbon above it and the last to a hydrogen.
    Exactly, four different groups are needed - 2 are carbons so it is not a chiral carbon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    No I don't think its bonded to a hydrogen, the oxygen has substituted the hydrogen in the synthesis of the molecule so no hydrogen is bonded to that carbon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    No I don't think its bonded to a hydrogen, the oxygen has substituted the hydrogen in the synthesis of the molecule so no hydrogen is bonded to that carbon
    this guys right. as the carbon is in a benzene ring, it is only bonded to 3 things.

ReputationRep:
    The carbon above it and carbon below are identical and not different hence can't form optical isomers so yeah...not chiral

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I did a bit of research into the structure of the Benzene ring. It has alternating double bonds so...

I got it now. Thank you everyone !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.