Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it taboo to consider race and intellect correlate in the general population? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Yes, and the theory of relativity is a theory because it has not been proven, otherwise it would be a law. A theory is merely a technical term for speculation, an assumption.
    Yea right

ReputationRep:
    No, you said there was endemic poverty in the UK. Endemic means 'belonging' or 'characteristic of', thereby implying that poverty is widespread in the UK, or that the UK is an extremely poor nation, neither of which it is true. The UK is one of the most developed and wealthiest countries in the world and someone who lives in 'poverty' in the UK is still wealthier than the middle and upper classes of Africa. The only reason the UK has a high level of relative poverty is because our rich are so rich, but that doesn't change the fact that our poor are better off than the poor in other countries that have less relative poverty. There is little excuse for failing in the UK, end of. People in the developing world would give their right arms for the opportunities that British people have and waste.
    You conveniently did not quote the first half of what I posted, where I used the term 'relative poverty' to set the tone for what I was saying.

Stop trying to twist my words to fit your argument. If you can't be right, but don't want to be wrong, then just don't say anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and the theory of relativity is a theory because it has not been proven, otherwise it would be a law. A theory is merely a technical term for speculation, an assumption.
    Yeah, uhm, no. It's called a theory because everything is challengeable in science. Like Einstein did when he introduced relativity to explain what was formerly explained by Newtons laws of gravity. Note, formerly, even though it's called a law.

A theory is a speculation with set criteria which would discredet or strengthen it. For instance, if we ever observe planets acting in a way that the relativity can't explain, or discovers something that travels faster than the speed of light, the theory will have been severely weakened.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebsan)
    Yeah, uhm, no. It's called a theory because everything is challengeable in science. Like Einstein did when he introduced relativity to explain what was formerly explained by Newtons laws of gravity. Note, formerly, even though it's called a law.

A theory is a speculation with set criteria which would discredet or strengthen it. For instance, if we ever observe planets acting in a way that the relativity can't explain, or discovers something that travels faster than the speed of light, the theory will have been severely weakened.

/rant
    Fair enough and apologies, I give way to your superior knowledge of theories and laws. However I actually made that comment in response to a previous comment that criticized me for making an assumption instead of a theory about the OP's topic, and I was arguing that assumptions, speculation and theories are all basically the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Race and IQ do correlate this is a fact. Sub-saharan people have an average IQ of 70, white people 100 and chinese people 105.

This is not important except for the fact there is a positive correlation between high IQ and economic success. The effects of this can be evidenced in the world around us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Mainly because there is no basis to believe there is as far as I'm aware. Also correlating race and intelligence is a very dangerous thing to do, because in a country where intelligence is valued far higher economically than physical strength, it could lead to generalisations which in turn would lead to people being denied a job due to their race. When people see a generalisation they tend to forget that in reality, it's still entirely down to the individual.

this is a bit patronising. you're saying that people can't be told the truth because they are too thick to handle it!!
    the truth is this: research consistently ranks IQ in this order, asians, then caucasians, then people of african ancestry. it is debatable as to whether the differences are down to nature or nurture. watson of crick and watson said he thought that it was nature, but most academics would not risk their career by being so outspoken.
    of course the thing about the IQ differences is that they are small. so if you took two people one from the higher IQ group the other from another group, you'd not be able to make a sensible inference as to who would be smarter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaiiStarh)
    I also want to say something about there being fewer black people in Oxford,I dont know who bought up the topic first so I cant quote you,sorry....Yes,I know that there are fewer black people in England blah blah blah. But really,is it acceptable that only ONE black person got accepted into Oxbridge last year. Does somebody want to explain that to me? Is it because there are fewer black people in the UK? Did not enough black people apply too Oxbridge last year? Did only one black person achieve straight A*s throughout the whole of Britain? Or is it simply institutional racism?

TWO African-Caribbean boys in my sixth form applied to Oxbridge last year. One was predicted straight A*s,he also did his bit for the community and had all those extra curriculum things that they typically look for. The other boy was doing the IB and I'm guessing he had reasonably good grades if he even thought about applying to Oxford......They both got through to the interview at Oxford.....however they both got rejected afterwards. I'm not saying that that makes Oxford racist but when they asked for feedback from the interview they both got no reply......a white female in my class got rejected from the interview,and asked for feedback (as suggested by the teacher) and she got a long email in response. Coincidence? Unlucky? Or perhaps Oxford want to keep their establishment 'white',and didn't know how to put, 'We rejected you because you're black' into a suitable format.....Just my opinion! I'm talking about from personal experiences,what I've witnessed!

One of best friends at School was black and wore dreadlocks and etc. He applied into Trinity College at Oxford to get into Physics and he got in. His Dad also got into Oxford.

Out of all the people that applied into Oxford from my school, he was the only one that I was sure that would get in.

More than one black person has got into Oxford. It is just a nonsensical rumor. My best friends black girlfriend also got into Oxford and she did Maths. So clearly it is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    One of best friends at School was black and wore dreadlocks and etc. He applied into Trinity College at Oxford to get into Physics and he got in. His Dad also got into Oxford.

Out of all the people that applied into Oxford from my school, he was the only one that I was sure that would get in.

More than one black person has got into Oxford. It is just a nonsensical rumor. My best friends black girlfriend also got into Oxford and she did Maths. So clearly it is rubbish.
    Two anecdotes > official statistics.

ReputationRep:
    It's taboo because black people will come out looking the worst and we can only present blackk people as a superior race to white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Two anecdotes > official statistics.

As I said before, it is a nonsensical rumor. Not an official statistic. Some moron obviously made it up and everyone got excited.

No one has actually given a credible source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busby_Babe)
    Do you realise elite athletes do not live the same lifestyle as the general population? Runners from every country have a similar diet/training schedule.

Science proves there is a god. You just went full retard.
    stfu,you do realise that you are an idiot. have you read the title of the discussionnits talking about the general population not the Elite so next time think before you vomit all over your keyboard

even in ur irrelevant scenario Environmental factors give the Scout for the Kenyan Runner Coach a wider selection of candidates compared to the Russian Scot.

the point I was casually trying to make was scientific facts can be dis proven and views change ,and scientific research does not always prove or disprove the existence of a god. Your just looking for an argument

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.