Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BNP Koran Burner Case is Withdrawn watch

• View Poll Results: What Constitutes as Freedom of Speech?
    Burning the Q'uran
    9.30%
    Burning Poppies
    4.65%
    Both
    62.79%
    Neither
    23.26%

ReputationRep:
    BNP 'Koran burn' candidate Sion Owens case withdrawn

The Crown Prosecution Service said it was withdrawing the case against Sion Owens

The case has been withdrawn against a BNP candidate for the Welsh assembly election who had been accused of being filmed burning a copy of the Koran.

Sion Owens, aged 41, was charged with a public order offence on Saturday.

When he appeared at Swansea Magistrates Court the Crown Prosecution Service said it was withdrawing the case against him.

But it said that investigations would continue and that "almost certainly other proceedings will ensue."

Mr Owens, from Bonymaen, Swansea, appeared in court from custody.

A BNP candidate for the South Wales West regional list, he was arrested on Friday evening when the force was passed a video recording showing a man burning the Koran.

He was charged on Saturday evening under the Public Order Act.

Joanne Shannon, another BNP candidate also arrested in connection with the incident, had already been released on police bail.

A BNP spokesperson said both would still be candidates in the assembly election on 5 May.

CPS prosecutor Bryn Hurford told Mr Owens to be in "no doubt" that investigations into his actions were continuing and that "almost certainly other proceedings will ensue."

Speaking outside the court, Mr Owens solicitor, Rachel Elimelech, said he was "pleased" and "very relieved to be released from custody".

Source
    Whilst I find burning the Q'uran grotesquely offensive and reprehensible, I am glad the case against the BNP Nazi was withdrawn. I don't want to live in a country that doesn't allow freedom of speech, no matter who it offends. Over the past few months and even today we see people all over the Middle East risking their lives in mass rallies so that they can have the freedoms which we take for granted every day. Having seen people shot dead for nothing more than voicing their opinions, just emphasises the importance of ensuring that speech is always free in our society. That includes burning poppies too.

I think Noam Chomsky, summed up the concept of freedom of speech when he said: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like. Goebbels was in favour of freedom of speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favour of freedom of speech, that means you're in favour of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise.”

Discuss below and answer the poll.

[Edit] There seems to be a few people who have voted for Burning the Q'uran. Could I ask why you think this constitutes as freedom of speech, but burning a poppy doesn't? If you could quote me and provide a reason that would be great thanks.[/Edit]

ReputationRep:
    let him do it.
    You know theres a thing in islam called fatwa and people are just putting their own life at risk.
    Some fanatic one day will swing an axe into his cortex.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's an awful, awful thing to do.. you're burning someone's "symbol". I disagree with the BNP entirely but I agree that freedom of speech is important. In Louis Theroux's documentary recently about the 'most hated family in America', the American courts decided they could spread their message, no matter how spiteful and ignorant.

Having lived in Saudi Arabia, I've seen friends arrested for attending an underground Christian Church. Noone in Britain would ever be arrested for going to a mosque and I'd much, much rather live here where there is freedom to believe in and say what you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoiliege)
    Personally I think it's an awful, awful thing to do.. you're burning someone's "symbol". I disagree with the BNP entirely but I agree that freedom of speech is important. In Louis Theroux's documentary recently about the 'most hated family in America', the American courts decided they could spread their message, no matter how spiteful and ignorant.
    This. BUT without inciting hatred I'd say. I find it ridiculous when people say that burning the quran is expressing their freedom of speech when they want to record it and are just really seeking attention :hmmm: & about that baptist church, I wouldn't hesitate to knock them out if they came picketing at my family member's funeral Do what you want, but be prepared to take the consequences.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Both are ignorant intolerant things to do.

However this is a free society and they should have every right to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Any extremist behaviour towards a certain group of people is wrong. It incites hatred. I'm sure there would be outrage over burning the Bibal...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1604326

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

This.

Last year I was wearing the poppy while reading the Qu'ran. Watching people burn these symbols as an expression of hatred saddens me, but the prosecution of these people saddens me more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

(Original post by Anony mouse)
    This.

Last year I was wearing the poppy while reading the Qu'ran. Watching people burn these symbols as an expression of hatred saddens me, but the prosecution of these people saddens me more.
    Summed it up excellently, I have little more to add. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, Will you allow Muslims to make fun of holocaust ?

It's just a question. I am not making any judgments.

If you do allow Muslims then you have every right to burn Quran and i am a Muslim.

Remember Saudi Arabia isn't preaching freedom of speech so if it bans churches then it wont be called hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal4lif)
    Honestly, Will you allow Muslims to make fun of holocaust ?

It's just a question. I am not making any judgments.

If you do allow Muslims then you have every right to burn Quran and i am a Muslim.

Remember Saudi Arabia isn't preaching freedom of speech so if it bans churches then it wont be called hypocrisy.
    To the first: Yes, you can legally make fun of, deny or support the holocaust. Don't expect me to respect your views, share a platform with you or take you seriously however the state has no moral authority to get involved and I have no right to enforce a silence upon you. I will however ask these theoretical muslims to shut the **** up with your ****ing bull**** you ****ing holocaust denying ****ers.

To the second: Hypocrisy is not the only crime in the world, or even that bad a crime, Suppression of Freedoms even when done openly is still a terrible thing for a people to suffer. The vast majority of Freedoms granted by the British Government are hypocritical as we are, officially, a Theocratic State (since the Office of the Crown claims authority from God and Parliament derives authority from the institution of the Crown) but that doesn't negate the Freedoms in and of itself.

On an unrelated note: Why so many free speech threads recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    To the first: Yes, you can legally make fun of, deny or support the holocaust. Don't expect me to respect your views, share a platform with you or take you seriously however the state has no moral authority to get involved and I have no right to enforce a silence upon you. I will however ask these theoretical muslims to shut the **** up with your ****ing bull**** you ****ing holocaust denying ****ers.

To the second: Hypocrisy is not the only crime in the world, or even that bad a crime, Suppression of Freedoms even when done openly is still a terrible thing for a people to suffer. The vast majority of Freedoms granted by the British Government are hypocritical as we are, officially, a Theocratic State (since the Office of the Crown claims authority from God and Parliament derives authority from the institution of the Crown) but that doesn't negate the Freedoms in and of itself.

On an unrelated note: Why so many free speech threads recently?
    Brits are just one unhappy ungrateful ****ers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal4lif)
    Brits are just one unhappy ungrateful ****ers
    It's something in the air I suspect, possibly from the Icelandic Volcano.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    This. BUT without inciting hatred I'd say. I find it ridiculous when people say that burning the quran is expressing their freedom of speech when they want to record it and are just really seeking attention :hmmm: & about that baptist church, I wouldn't hesitate to knock them out if they came picketing at my family member's funeral Do what you want, but be prepared to take the consequences.
    Why does intent matter at all?

Freedom of speech means the right to say what you want, when you want, for whatever reasons you want.

ReputationRep:
    well of course it's been withdrawn.

There's no law against what books you can burn in your own back garden.

ReputationRep:
    Burning the Qur'an is not a form of speech. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R£SP£CT)
    Burning the Qur'an is not a form of speech. :facepalm:
    But it is an action against his own property following relevant safety codes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't condone what he did but the rank hypocrisy of influential liberals makes me sick. They would never consider a prison term for someone who burnt a Bible, poppy or pissed on a war memorial; but would happily lock up a bloke who torched that Koran. Rank hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    I don't condone what he did but the rank hypocrisy of influential liberals makes me sick. They would never consider a prison term for someone who burnt a Bible, poppy or pissed on a war memorial; but would happily lock up a bloke who torched that Koran. Rank hypocrisy.
    1. No-one is considering a prison term for this.

2. One of the poppy burners did recieve punishment for freedom of expression.

3. I had a perception that liberals supported freedom of speech more than the other political figures.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.