Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should only British born athletes compete for team GB? watch

Announcements

British wrestlers are voicing frustration at seeing foreign training partners become members of the GB Olympic squad. Should only British born wrestlers be part of the squad?

The training partners are brought in from other countries to share skills, they can also seek citizenship while they live and work in the UK. British wrestlers are saying that they should not be taking the place of native wrestlers.

British Olympic teams have benefitted from the addition of foreign talent in the past. Jurgen Grobler OBE lead the GB rowing team to gold. Double European champion athlete Mo Farah lives in the UK after fleeing Somalia as a child and now competes for Great Britain.

Could foreign wrestlers who take on British citizenship increase the chances of GB collecting more medals? Should we encourage sportsmen and women from other countries to compete for GB?

More...

ReputationRep:
    Whoever stands the greatest chance of winning medals for Britain should compete.

ReputationRep:
    If they aren't good enough then sucks to be them, get better or dry your eyes.
    If you have British citizenship then you are British, thus you are able to compete for Team GB.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is no longer a "one race" nation and hasn't been for a very very long time. So why should it's sporting teams?

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question. No.

ReputationRep:
    Losers, 'oooh look at me I can't fight so the foreigners are taking my job!! :cry:'

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to come last in the 2012 olympics?

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the olympics is to see which country raises the best athletes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obadetona)
    The whole point of the olympics is to see which country raises the best athletes!
    No, the whole point of the Olympics is to showcase and celebrate sporting achievement. The IOC don't even keep a medal count during games, only the media does, because they don't care where an athlete is from.

ReputationRep:
    probably, tis a bit of a pisstake these days, would be pissed if I was up against them meself, kinda cheating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    Britain is no longer a "one race" nation and hasn't been for a very very long time. So why should it's sporting teams?

(Original post by Obadetona)
    Agree with both of these. Imo, team GB should be taking all the talent it can get. Our attitude is always "Oh at least we tried"- which is fair enough, until people start complaining that we never win anything.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    The best should compete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Have Your Say)
    British wrestlers are voicing frustration at seeing foreign training partners become members of the GB Olympic squad. Should only British born wrestlers be part of the squad?

The training partners are brought in from other countries to share skills, they can also seek citizenship while they live and work in the UK. British wrestlers are saying that they should not be taking the place of native wrestlers.

British Olympic teams have benefitted from the addition of foreign talent in the past. Jurgen Grobler OBE lead the GB rowing team to gold. Double European champion athlete Mo Farah lives in the UK after fleeing Somalia as a child and now competes for Great Britain.

Could foreign wrestlers who take on British citizenship increase the chances of GB collecting more medals? Should we encourage sportsmen and women from other countries to compete for GB?

More...
    But Mo Farah grew up here and was trained here. He didn't start taking part in Athletics until High School when his P.E. Teacher encouraged him. Plus, Mo Farah's dad was born in the UK.

There's a massive flaw with the whole "born here" argument". Allow me to give you an example.

Example 1 - Athlete is born in the UK, but moves to Qatar, grows up there and then comes back to the UK aged 23 and then suddenly pledges to run for the UK.

Example 2. Athlete is born abroad, but moves to the UK when a kid, grows up here and then pledges to run for the UK.

Who has more of a right? Remember, example 1 wasn't raised here, wasn't trained here and the only connection he or she has is that they were born here. Yet Example 2 wasn't born here, but was raised here and trained here.

What I do however agree with is adults suddenly switching countries. That I think is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they're British nationality.

ReputationRep:
    looking at british mma fighters, we need all the help in wrestling we can get

ReputationRep:
    From an objective view, Britain poaching a kenyan runner, via some loopholes, sort of defeats the purpose of the Olympics, even if it increases the chances of a medal.

ReputationRep:
    I think eligibility should be based on the same rules used in international football, i.e:
    You can apply to compete for any country of which you hold nationality. Once you have competed for one country, you cannot then compete for a different one (as long as the original country still exists).

It shouldn't be a complete free-for-all, to just say that anyone can compete for Britain as long as they're good enough. Otherwise, there's no point in separating the teams by country. "Great Britain" wouldn't really mean Great Britain; It'd just be an arbitrary label given to a team which doesn't necessarily have much connection with the country. We might as well just call it "Team #134" or something.

Although I don't really think your place of birth should determine your elegibility. It seems very irrelevant.
    For example: What if your mother happened to be on holiday abroad when she gave birth?

ReputationRep:
    Any British citizen should be allowed to compete for the GB team, whether they were born here or not..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you have citizenship and want to compete surely that makes you as British as anyone?

ReputationRep:
    So much ignorance in this thread. I am a wrestler and I can explain the situation perfectly.

The wrestlers who have been imported will not win a medal, they won't get close there is no chance. I can't stress this enough!

These imports are just taking the place of British people to compete in the olympics but they will lose.
    If British people were allowed to enter it would have increased the level of wrestling within the UK among British people instead of importing people to represent us aimlessly.

So many British wrestlers have been put off by this sort of thing it's ridiculous.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.