Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if someone can clearly explain why this is happening:

on the one hand we are facing cuts and our university fees are rising amongst other things becoming more expensive and other services being reduces or abolished

on the other hand we have money to give aid to india and portugal

india can sort themselves out, just read the bbc news article:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12954489

and portugal, i know we're all in the EU and therefore by EU law we have to do this, but the UK is going to end up worse no?

and then
    we have money to send planes to libya and send our army out randomly etc.
    i understand the reason we're in afghanistan due to the long term terrorist threat, but other places? why do have to be involved or have to send our army?

just want to know (whilst im procrastinating) what is going on!?

ReputationRep:
    where do you think our troops have been randomly sent then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    where do you think our troops have been randomly sent then?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12983294

ReputationRep:
    RAF =/= the army. Have a bit of a read of the news and the UN resolution for why our forces are involved, I think you will see then that its not random and a planned operation.

ReputationRep:
    Libya is our chance to tell the middle east that the western countries aren't the bad guys.
    How could we pass up this opportunity for some good PR around the world?

ReputationRep:
    RAF =/= the army. Have a bit of a read of the news and the UN resolution for why our forces are involved, I think you will see then that its not random and a planned operation.
    does the british government fund the RAF?

explain why the RAF had to get involved in libya and how it will benefit the UK

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Money?

Don't have that.

But I have something else....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan.)
    does the british government fund the RAF?

explain why the RAF had to get involved in libya and how it will benefit the UK

thanks
    We are part of NATO, who are enforcing the UN resolution made against Ghadaffi. Have you been in a cave for the last month or do you just not watch the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12480844

ReputationRep:
    I no what your saying, why are we supporting these countries when surly charity should start at home but what I really want to no is when will it be our turn to be bailed out and would these countries support us if it was the other way round. Its not our fight or is it?

ReputationRep:
    We are part of NATO, who are enforcing the UN resolution made against Ghadaffi. Have you been in a cave for the last month or do you just not watch the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12480844
    just needed explaining!
    dont follow the news into enough depth since i went to uni

ok this is understandable

care to explain the other things i wrote in the OP?

(Original post by Shacks1)
    I no what your saying, why are we supporting these countries when surly charity should start at home but what I really want to no is when will it be our turn to be bailed out and would these countries support us if it was the other way round. Its not our fight or is it?
    thats exactly what im trying to say!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you were a malnourished, uneducated, prone to disease child I think you would be grateful for any aid given to you. Nobody in this country has to squat outside between mud houses to eat lentils and rice whilst not using any cutlery. although the Anganwadi (government sponsored child development) centre can cater for some childrens' needs, it can't cater for them all - at least that particular charity gives a child one meal a day which satisfies their nutritional requirements. In Britain we have asda, tesco, aldi, etc, and we can have a full cupboard of food if we wanted.

Clearly the problems are not just confined to this particular BBC report, there are slums getting knocked down to make way for big business. I understand the thread starter does raise a good and debatable point about where the money is going as India's economy is growing by around 10% a year; but with that growth - comes greater social divisions. The government will try to invest it's money in big business to help it's country as a whole but it may be at the cost of neglecting the poorest in society.

"According to official statistics, 55% of children in Bihar under three are underweight, more than 85% are anaemic, over a million children suffer from severe malnutrition, 60 million people have no access to toilets, and two in every three women are illiterate." (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12954489). This report makes you feel bad for even having the ability to pay for a pint of beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busine$$$tudent)
    If you were a malnourished, uneducated, prone to disease child I think you would be grateful for any aid given to you. Nobody in this country has to squat outside between mud houses to eat lentils and rice whilst not using any cutlery. although the Anganwadi (government sponsored child development) centre can cater for some childrens' needs, it can't cater for them all - at least that particular charity gives a child one meal a day which satisfies their nutritional requirements. In Britain we have asda, tesco, aldi, etc, and we can have a full cupboard of food if we wanted.

Clearly the problems are not just confined to this particular BBC report, there are slums getting knocked down to make way for big business. I understand the thread starter does raise a good and debatable point about where the money is going as India's economy is growing by around 10% a year; but with that growth - comes greater social divisions. The government will try to invest it's money in big business to help it's country as a whole but it may be at the cost of neglecting the poorest in society.

"According to official statistics, 55% of children in Bihar under three are underweight, more than 85% are anaemic, over a million children suffer from severe malnutrition, 60 million people have no access to toilets, and two in every three women are illiterate." (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12954489). This report makes you feel bad for even having the ability to pay for a pint of beer.
    yeah i know all of this is true and its the sad truth about india
    but why cant the world tell india to use its wealth to reduce poverty and the problems you've outlined?
    why does the UK need to give £100millions in aid when india can afford to do this themselves with the right political reforms or aiding themselves

i definitely wouldnt want india to be like that (i am indian afterall!) but maybe the british government can reduce their AID and offer some sort of advice? or the indian government can seek help themselves? the BBC article clearly says that their government welcome the aid but wont be too bothered if they didnt get it

oh and there are countries that are so much richer than the UK that could send aid to!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Milan.)
    Just wondering if someone can clearly explain why this is happening:

on the one hand we are facing cuts and our university fees are rising amongst other things becoming more expensive and other services being reduces or abolished

on the other hand we have money to give aid to india and portugal

india can sort themselves out, just read the bbc news article:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12954489

and portugal, i know we're all in the EU and therefore by EU law we have to do this, but the UK is going to end up worse no?

and then
    we have money to send planes to libya and send our army out randomly etc.
    i understand the reason we're in afghanistan due to the long term terrorist threat, but other places? why do have to be involved or have to send our army?

just want to know (whilst im procrastinating) what is going on!?

Firstly Foreign aid is used to buy off countries and get political and trade benefits.

Our trade with Portugal is worth around 2 billion Euros. The loan will be paid back with interest so we will be making profit off that.

Our Army is only involved in Afghanistan. Other than maybe some UN missions I don't think they are involved in a combat role anywhere.

And well if you want to put a price on stopping genicide thats your problem.

ReputationRep:
    No one has ever heard of the selfish gene that you can take to the extreme eg i give because I am selfish and want something in return even if its to sooth my guilt.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.