Turn on thread page Beta

Gillian Duffy collars Clegg watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg has been collared by Gillian Duffy - the feisty pensioner who made headlines at the election when she was called "bigoted" by Gordon Brown.

The deputy PM was visiting a factory in Rochdale when Mrs Duffy stopped him to ask whether he was happy with the coalition's policies.

Mr Clegg told her the government was taking tough decisions in order to cut the UK's deficit.

But she replied: "That's just the same speech you gave an hour ago."

Mrs Duffy, a lifelong Labour voter, confronted Mr Brown over immigration while he was on an election campaign visit to Rochdale last May.

Following the exchange, the then prime minister was heard telling an aide it had been a "disaster" and Mrs Duffy was "just a sort of bigoted woman".

Mr Brown later visited her at her home to apologise and said he was "mortified" at the incident.

Mrs Duffy approached Mr Clegg as he entered the factory and asked him why he had chosen to go into coalition with the Conservatives rather than Labour.

"Gordon Brown and I talked about it... [but] there was no way that the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats would have had enough MPs to run a government," he said. "And I thought it was very important - still think it's very important - that you've got a government that actually can do things."

Mrs Duffy asked Mr Clegg whether he could look her in the eye and say he was happy with the coalition's policy decisions.

He replied: "I tell you what, whoever was in power now, any government now, would have to take difficult decisions.

"If anyone's telling you from the Labour Party that somehow there's a magic wand solution, that you can do this without any controversy, they're frankly fibbing to you."

Mr Clegg attempted to explain the reasoning behind the government's controversial deficit-reduction strategy, saying future generations would suffer if savings were not made now.

But Mrs Duffy said: "I've just been listening to you on the television, and I've listened to you on the radio, and that's just the same speech you gave an hour ago."

He replied: "I think it's really important though."

Afterwards, Mrs Duffy said Mr Clegg had failed to convince her that the coalition was making the right decisions.

"It's gone wrong," she said, "Let's face it, it's all gone wrong."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13047890

Is it just me wondering why the hell this article actually has been published? Gillian Duffy is a nobody who is only known as she got called a bigot before, and now she is stirring up headlines by what she is doing. Joke. I don't care, and am slightly worried at why other people would care about some random unintelligent woman's opinion!

ReputationRep:
    Has she worked out where all them eastern Europeans have come from yet?

ReputationRep:
    Clegg should've said "Sorry, I don't need to explain myself to bigots"

ReputationRep:
    Set ups, don't you just love them....

ReputationRep:
    That bigot

ReputationRep:
    True.... very true.... I never understood how the new corporations prioritise their stories, but this is just a damn waste of time and effort.

And, let's be honest, she was a bigot.... spot on Gordon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Clegg should've said "Sorry, I don't need to explain myself to bigots"
    He would have totally got back in my good books! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    They should keep her in a cupboard in Parliament and bring her out every now and again to question politicians.

Gordon was right though, she is a bigot. I wonder if she's worked out where Eastern Europe is yet

ReputationRep:
    That bigoted woman.:unimpressed:

ReputationRep:

The Gordon Brown facepalm... when no other facepalm will cut it.

Let's face it, the woman's no more than a bigoted troll with a fetish for government...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.