Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is a position of 'Customer Assistant' available at my local branch and I would like to know more about the role before I apply because there isn't much information given apart from just assisting customers.

Also, not that it's important to me, but do you get any benefits?

ReputationRep:
    I worked for LTSB a good few years ago. Back then the role was a CSO (Customer Services Officer) This will be the same role, just a slightly different name, as in branch, there isn't a vast amount of roles!

Benefits - Yes. You get staff rates on accounts that you would pay for, it was 50% off the monthly fee when i was there. I also got much cheaper car and house insurance. They have a SAYE scheem that allows you to pay £5-250 of your monthly salary into an account for 3 or 5 years which will then buy shares at the end of the term foor less. (When I left after 18m I just took the cash out with a small amount of interest.) They also provide your uniform (that you get to choose from different styles etc... not that that is a benefit)

The role could be one of 2: either a cashier or front desk role. I never knew some one new to the firm go straight to frondesk. So most likely you will be behand the counter.

You will take deposits and process them, process withdrawls, exchange cash for businesses, deal with foreign curency orders.

You have serious anti money laundering regs to follow and have a lot of training to ensure you are aware of your responsibilities, and the consequences of not following them.

In addition to this you will be expected to hit targets, and if you don't, you don't get any bonuses. One of the reasons I left is cos it was too target driven and I was not even meeting 1/2 my target as I didn't believe badgering people into a meeting room to discuss a mortgage that they did not want to change (and having to ask them every week) was the right thing to be doing. I often would have a manager stood behind me with a tick sheet checking if I was saying the right things, and pushing products onto people, even if it was good old Mrs X that came in 9am every Saturday to cash her pension and I knew she didnt want a mortgage!

They pay well for the type of job you do, granted I was 17 at the time.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything more

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a ton. That's really helpful! I'm definitely going to apply for it =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    I worked for LTSB a good few years ago. Back then the role was a CSO (Customer Services Officer) This will be the same role, just a slightly different name, as in branch, there isn't a vast amount of roles!

Benefits - Yes. You get staff rates on accounts that you would pay for, it was 50% off the monthly fee when i was there. I also got much cheaper car and house insurance. They have a SAYE scheem that allows you to pay £5-250 of your monthly salary into an account for 3 or 5 years which will then buy shares at the end of the term foor less. (When I left after 18m I just took the cash out with a small amount of interest.) They also provide your uniform (that you get to choose from different styles etc... not that that is a benefit)

The role could be one of 2: either a cashier or front desk role. I never knew some one new to the firm go straight to frondesk. So most likely you will be behand the counter.

You will take deposits and process them, process withdrawls, exchange cash for businesses, deal with foreign curency orders.

You have serious anti money laundering regs to follow and have a lot of training to ensure you are aware of your responsibilities, and the consequences of not following them.

In addition to this you will be expected to hit targets, and if you don't, you don't get any bonuses. One of the reasons I left is cos it was too target driven and I was not even meeting 1/2 my target as I didn't believe badgering people into a meeting room to discuss a mortgage that they did not want to change (and having to ask them every week) was the right thing to be doing. I often would have a manager stood behind me with a tick sheet checking if I was saying the right things, and pushing products onto people, even if it was good old Mrs X that came in 9am every Saturday to cash her pension and I knew she didnt want a mortgage!

They pay well for the type of job you do, granted I was 17 at the time.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything more
    Hi again. I just wanted to quickly ask you something!

After I completed all the details online, they sent me an email asking me to complete an online test. First it was maths questions like:

8 x 2 - ? + 20 = 35 --- or something like that which got a lot complex and you had to do it in like 10 seconds!

And then you had to do this checking test which were they gave a a series of numbers of letters and had to match them with the right one on the side, eg:

Given series:
    GTHCRYSP

Possible matches:
    GHTRYCSP
    GHTYCRPS
    GTHCRYSP
    GTHYRCPS
    GTHCYRSP

This you had to do 5 times and the series got longer and the time got shorter: 5 seconds!

Now, I'm sure they did that to separate candidates, but it's not like you have to do long division and complex maths and stuff at work do you? It is just simple paperwork, right?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply online and was not aware that they required online tests. I joined in 05/06, my aunt was manager of a big branch in the city by my home. She took my CV in and I had an interview and got the job the next day.

I think the job market is so competitive now that they are needing to distinguish the good from the not so good!

You need to be quick on your feet, and good at adding up. But the only time you would be adding yourself (and no the computer) would be for change bags, and cashing up your till at the end of the day.

Not so much paper work. You would be completely client facing. Its rather fast passed and you don't get much down time. You have to be on your feet and on the look out continually for suspicious activity.

Sorry I can't be much more help with your question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    I didn't apply online and was not aware that they required online tests. I joined in 05/06, my aunt was manager of a big branch in the city by my home. She took my CV in and I had an interview and got the job the next day.

I think the job market is so competitive now that they are needing to distinguish the good from the not so good!

You need to be quick on your feet, and good at adding up. But the only time you would be adding yourself (and no the computer) would be for change bags, and cashing up your till at the end of the day.

Not so much paper work. You would be completely client facing. Its rather fast passed and you don't get much down time. You have to be on your feet and on the look out continually for suspicious activity.

Sorry I can't be much more help with your question!
    Thank you again, you have been such a great help! I'm lucky there are people as nice as you. Seriously, you're a star.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.