Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got 4 med school rejections and I am starting to think about what I'm gonna do in my gap year and before I reapply.

The uni's stated I had the grades but fell short cos of my crappy UKCAT. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty short my work experience wasn't sufficient either. I did volunteering in a hospital for a year, work placement in a carehome, volunteering in Uganda for 2 weeks and a first aid course. Which is nothing compared to most applicants.

I'm getting mixed comments from different people about whether I should do LOTS of volunteering work overseas in health and education projects, or apply for a job as a health care assistant.
    Some people have given me the impression that volunteering abroad is cliche, and usually indicates that you are lucky enough to afford it. (even though I've been looking at free and low-cost schemes) Others say being a HCA would not really benefit me in either gaining skill or pimping up my PS.

But do they really think this about volunteering? And won't working as an HCA be beneficial?

Please reply, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    With the volunteering in a hospital for a year - how much did you actually do? Was it a few hours a week, a day a week etc?

I wouldn't say your WE isn't bad, certainly seen others that have achieved places with less

ReputationRep:
    Get a HCA job. You have volunteering work already. Just keep it up during your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I would say HCAing is better because then at least you have and understanding about how a ward works and have first hand experience with what responsibilities each member of the care team really has. Plus you will get use to the NHS and its policies and procedures. Plus you will earn a little more than you would working in a shop.
    You could also do one nite a week as a volunteer somewhere else and maybe take 2 week abroad to do a volunteer post there.

So technically you could do it all in a year but I would def go for HCA first.

ReputationRep:
    How would you find out about hca jobs ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitfan)
    How would you find out about hca jobs ?
    NHS Jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Thank youu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melodyela)
    Got 4 med school rejections and I am starting to think about what I'm gonna do in my gap year and before I reapply.

The uni's stated I had the grades but fell short cos of my crappy UKCAT. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty short my work experience wasn't sufficient either. I did volunteering in a hospital for a year, work placement in a carehome, volunteering in Uganda for 2 weeks and a first aid course. Which is nothing compared to most applicants.

I'm getting mixed comments from different people about whether I should do LOTS of volunteering work overseas in health and education projects, or apply for a job as a health care assistant.
    Some people have given me the impression that volunteering abroad is cliche, and usually indicates that you are lucky enough to afford it. (even though I've been looking at free and low-cost schemes) Others say being a HCA would not really benefit me in either gaining skill or pimping up my PS.

But do they really think this about volunteering? And won't working as an HCA be beneficial?

Please reply, thanks in advance
    Oh perlease :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Oh perlease :rolleyes:
    haha I swear all the other med statements I've seen have about a gizzillion times more stuff!

I did about 3 hours a week at the hospital for a year...

thanks for responses everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Get a HCA job. You have volunteering work already. Just keep it up during your gap year.
    This. You've got lots of volunteering, so you don't need any more really - HCA would be better for you. It depends on the person. For a person with lots of formal work experience and virtually no volunteering, more volunteering would make their application better.

For you, go HCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melodyela)
    haha I swear all the other med statements I've seen have about a gizzillion times more stuff!

I did about 3 hours a week at the hospital for a year...

thanks for responses everyone
    I have the same, though not as recently as I would like, I've got to arrange more recent experience :mmm: .
    Seriously as long as you can draw relevant skills and experiences from your W/E and volunteering you have nothing to worry about.

Working as a HCA would be a great experience, if you can get a job.
    You don't NEED a HCA job to get into med school though, (well unless you're a grad- I think Leicester have paid heathcare work as a req'ment) but I digress.

ReputationRep:
    with hca you get paid

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.