Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, first thread here

I am doing Edexcel Chemistry for A levels. It is by far and way my weakest subject, last year I got a C (I got a C in unit 1 and a B in unit 2). After retaking my Unit 1 in Jan I bumped my AS up to a B. (I have always been weak in the more fundamental/basic ways due to messing about at GCSE) Anyway I used my CGP book in january and thats pretty much it, then some papers etc. to bump up my unit 1 grade.

What I wanted to know was, is using the CGP revision guide (A2) enough to revise from to get at least a B in A level chemistry? (Unit 4 and 5 revison)

I would use it in the same way as above. Taking notes, reading, doing questions, then referring back to it when practicing using other resources.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rudebwoi93)
    Hi guys, first thread here

I am doing Edexcel Chemistry for A levels. It is by far and way my weakest subject, last year I got a C (I got a C in unit 1 and a B in unit 2). After retaking my Unit 1 in Jan I bumped my AS up to a B. (I have always been weak in the more fundamental/basic ways due to messing about at GCSE) Anyway I used my CGP book in january and thats pretty much it, then some papers etc. to bump up my unit 1 grade.

What I wanted to know was, is using the CGP revision guide (A2) enough to revise from to get at least a B in A level chemistry? (Unit 4 and 5 revison)

I would use it in the same way as above. Taking notes, reading, doing questions, then referring back to it when practicing using other resources.

Cheers.
    Out of curiosity, which textbook have you been supplied with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Out of curiosity, which textbook have you been supplied with?
    Erm, for AS. I bought the school textbook which was the official Edexcel one, I didn't like it and as i said I never used it I only used the CGP one. Obviously my school thought so too because this year (for A2) we got told ot buy the Hodder A2 book, I didn't buy it cos I knew I wouldn't use it so I just bought the CGP revision guide again... for A2....

ReputationRep:
    Erm, for AS. I bought the school textbook which was the official Edexcel one, I didn't like it and as i said I never used it I only used the CGP one. Obviously my school thought so too because this year (for A2) we got told ot buy the Hodder A2 book, I didn't buy it cos I knew I wouldn't use it so I just bought the CGP revision guide again... for A2....
    Fair play, I find the student books really useful, but then everyone to their own

What I do is literally USE SO MANY COLOURS
    Just by some fineline berols and get to making notes
    It sounds petty and silly but it genuinely works a treat. Just write short concise notes in different colours and it makes things so much easier to revise from

ReputationRep:
    Fair play, I find the student books really useful, but then everyone to their own

It sounds petty and silly but it genuinely works a treat. Just write short concise notes in different colours and it makes things so much easier to revise from
    I'm just an idiot when it comes to revision. I ****ed about too much last year and came out with Maths - B Physics - C Chemistry - C

Maths I had c1 - B c2 - A m1 - D (I left revision late so focused primarily on c1 and c2 and ignored m1) I retook m1 and got an A so I'm retaking c1 for extra ums in may. My AS Maths ended up staying at a B but one mark from an A, need to retake c1 as only have a B in it)

Physics I got 2 C's because I was arrogant and complacent and thought this is easy I dont have to revise. I retook both, and got two A's which turned my AS C into an AS A.

Chem I had a C(unit1) and a B(unit2). I owe the C to ****ing about at GCSE and missing out on the basics. Retook it, got a high B. So Chem AS went from a C to a B.

So I obviously seem to be able to do it when it comes to it, but I don't know why I'm so carefree or laidback about revision :| Just can't seem to get started before its too late. Every. ****ing. Time...

ReputationRep:
    I'm just an idiot when it comes to revision. I ****ed about too much last year and came out with Maths - B Physics - C Chemistry - C

Maths I had c1 - B c2 - A m1 - D (I left revision late so focused primarily on c1 and c2 and ignored m1) I retook m1 and got an A so I'm retaking c1 for extra ums in may. My AS Maths ended up staying at a B but one mark from an A, need to retake c1 as only have a B in it)

Physics I got 2 C's because I was arrogant and complacent and thought this is easy I dont have to revise. I retook both, and got two A's which turned my AS C into an AS A.

Chem I had a C(unit1) and a B(unit2). I owe the C to ****ing about at GCSE and missing out on the basics. Retook it, got a high B. So Chem AS went from a C to a B.

So I obviously seem to be able to do it when it comes to it, but I don't know why I'm so carefree or laidback about revision :| Just can't seem to get started before its too late. Every. ****ing. Time...
    Mmhmm its really hard to get motivated, just start now Just whenver you have free time never let yourself being doing just "nothing" always make sure you have some books open and are taking notes, no matter how slow it is Oh and if you own an Xbox, make sure you unplug the *******

ReputationRep:
    Mmhmm its really hard to get motivated, just start now Just whenver you have free time never let yourself being doing just "nothing" always make sure you have some books open and are taking notes, no matter how slow it is Oh and if you own an Xbox, make sure you unplug the *******
    Done! =D Did nothing all day, had an epiphany in the evening and did some Unit 5 elctrochemistry =D

ReputationRep:

Hey again mate, I have a question. You are on edexcel chemistry right? A level?

Can I ask what resources do you use? I ask because, I've just gone through electrochemistry in my CGP book, and I did the questions on it, and now I want questions on that topic! I also think that if I did chem topic by topic it would be good to do lots of questions after each one and then do some papers closer to the exams...

ReputationRep:
    Hey again mate, I have a question. You are on edexcel chemistry right? A level?

Can I ask what resources do you use? I ask because, I've just gone through electrochemistry in my CGP book, and I did the questions on it, and now I want questions on that topic! I also think that if I did chem topic by topic it would be good to do lots of questions after each one and then do some papers closer to the exams...
    In terms of resources all I really use is the edexcel specification, I'd advice dividing your folder of notes into sub sections A's per each topic on the edexcel website. Then you have small revisable chunks and you can do half an hour a day in terms of testif myself I use past papers but I wouldn't advise that so early A's there are a limit on then so you may wish to wait until closer to the time so you don't run out of materials

ReputationRep:
    In terms of resources all I really use is the edexcel specification, I'd advice dividing your folder of notes into sub sections A's per each topic on the edexcel website. Then you have small revisable chunks and you can do half an hour a day in terms of testif myself I use past papers but I wouldn't advise that so early A's there are a limit on then so you may wish to wait until closer to the time so you don't run out of materials
    Ok cheers mate, I tend to use the spec too in conjunction with papers toward the end of my revision to ensure I've covered it all! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    where can i find the revision guide ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have a question about Math specially M1. I did C12 and M1 for AS, and i got a high B in c12 ( two marks away from an A) and a D in M1. So im repeating M1 this january to raise my grade to a B at least and im asking you if you got some tips on revising M1. My problem is I know all the rules in M1 but when it comes to solving papers and questions i cant apply what I studied and solve correctly. So any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.