Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever tried Hershey's chocolate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's OK. I can't say it reminds me of sick, but it's got nothing on Cadbury or Galaxy :no:
    What America lacks in chocolate quality it more than makes up for in other types of sweets.

ReputationRep:
    Hershey's Kisses and Hershey's Cookies and Cream are both okay.

But they will never top UK/European chocolates. There are less preservatives and artificial ingredients used in the latter which is why it tastes so good. Unfortunately a lot of chocolate from North America is made with skim milk (instead of full fat), and other lower fat products. Thus it's not nearly as yummy as UK chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I tried it in New York and it tasted absolutely foul - the descriptions on here have it spot on, I and everyone else of my friends who bought some, and my family who tried the stuff I bought agreed that it tasted very bitter and the aftertaste was basically tasted like sick.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my friend sent some over about 7 years ago. it was DISGUSTING. i hated it. she sent candycorn too - urgh, yuck. what are americans EATING :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    No. I detest all things with cocoa. How people continuosly have it is beyond me.
    I don't think it's ever been too near a cocoa bean to be honest.

I thought it tasted like vomit too.

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan either, when i was told it was bitter i thought bitter as in very dark chocolate which i like, i wasn't happy.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely vile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    my friend sent some over about 7 years ago. it was DISGUSTING. i hated it. she sent candycorn too - urgh, yuck. what are americans EATING :tongue:
    I sent my American boyfriend an enormous box of British chocolates at Christmas. He was shocked to find that the chocolate orange tasted like chocolate. And orange.

ReputationRep:
    I remember liking Hershey's kisses as a child, so I recently bought a Hersheys cookies and cream. I thought it was horrible but wasn't sure if I was just being over picky so I made my friend try some.

She still hasn't forgiven me.

It was vile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I don't think it's ever been too near a cocoa bean to be honest.
    Aren't all chocolate derived from cocoa beans?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't taste like 'proper' chocolate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)
    I was in Asda earlier and saw they had it, so I bought some mainly for the novelty value.

It smells and tastes like sick/out of date milk. Seriously, it's the most awful chocolate I've ever eaten. How on Earth is this brand so huge in America? What's the deal? Am I missing something?

YES. I've always thought this, it's vile. Apparently different countries all have very different tasting chocolate, depending on cocoa ratios and so on and you get used to the taste you're bought up on. Apparently a lot of Americans don't like ours, and we don't like theirs. It's so gross though, genuinely thought it had a soapy taste. Belgium are the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I had it in America and threw most of the bar away.
    Fairly disgusting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Is it actually chocolate?
    I remember looking at the wrapper and reading the phrase:

"CHOCOLATE FLAVOURED CANDY"

I've never understood why Americans consume this vomit flavoured detritus.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought it was just me who thought it tasted like sick

ReputationRep:
    The Hershey's store in New York = win
    It doesn't look as cool as the M&M one but the stuff in it is just so damn tasty.

ReputationRep:
    I went to New York and also was quite taken aback by the Hershey's store! It drew me inside with it's pretty lights and candy-shaped exterior but this only emphasised the anti-climax of the disappointing taste.

Heres a picture I took

ReputationRep:
    It is actually disgusting, saying that they make an awesome cookies n cream bar. Apart from that, it's ****ing awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disenchanted)
    Isn't it because they don't sell Cadbury's chocolate etc out there, the main brand is Hershey's? Americans are probably just used to the taste :P
    I think Cadbury's has started making an appearance in the US since Kraft acquired it. I haven't tried it, but apparently they changed the recipe so it also taste awful.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As pretty much everyone has said - their "chocolate" is foul. Can't be much more than 5-10% cocoa solids and the rest sugar.
    What little flavour there was was just stale and nasty.
    I'll stick to my 95p bars of fairtrade co-op dark chocolate thank you very much (tastes better than the galaxy bars, and 55p cheaper too. AND its fairtrade which is always a bonus)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.