Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever tried Hershey's chocolate? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)
    I was in Asda earlier and saw they had it, so I bought some mainly for the novelty value.

It smells and tastes like sick/out of date milk. Seriously, it's the most awful chocolate I've ever eaten. How on Earth is this brand so huge in America? What's the deal? Am I missing something?

I thought it was just me that thought it smelled like sick!

Mr Goodbar though :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I agree!! It tastes like vomit eww:L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Cadburys seems to be pretty wide spread there? Maybe it was me just trying to pretend the Hersheys wasn't there due to it being revolting, but I don't remember it particularly outnumbering the various Cadbury bars (though it does taste different to British Cadburys).
    Yeah, Cadbury's there- at least in 2003, was WAY sweeter!

ReputationRep:
    It's vile. Tastes too acidic and vomit-like for my liking. Puke. I've only tried the plain bar so that's all I can speak for.

ReputationRep:
    No, but I've always wanted to try it, I've been curious as all the Americans seem to go on about how it's so nice. It's such a huge brand, I admit I'm disappointed by the comments, like sick, really?

ReputationRep:
    I had some in Miami last year. Loved it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it. I even tried one that was white chocolate with oreo pieces in, should've been amazing, but I couldn't even finish the bar .
    Dairy milk's honestly 10 times better (and that's from someone who prefers dark chocolate).

ReputationRep:
    What on earth? It's heaven! It's bliss! And I've had Cadbury's (which is soo delicious) but I still like Hershey's better. What is the matter with you people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    What on earth? It's heaven! It's bliss! And I've had Cadbury's (which is soo delicious) but I still like Hershey's better. What is the matter with you people?
    Do I smell an American?

ReputationRep:
    Eh, Hershey's products are a bit hit-or-miss. Their milk chocolate is pathetic compared to Cadbury's, but they have really nice dark chocolate, and things like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or York Peppermint Patties (they also make KitKats in America)...

(Original post by nick__s)
    for some reason they taste good in s'mores. i don't know how though because plain they're awful.
    Definitely true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Do I smell an American?
    Yeah. It's really strange - do we have different taste buds or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    Yeah. It's really strange - do we have different taste buds or something?
    I think you must!

Taste buds probably change and develop as we grow up though depending on what we're used to. So you could argue we've not matured ours enough to handle the Hershey's chocolate Whereas I'd probably argue, you've been cruelly conditioned to tolerate it's vile taste and need to exp. REAL british chocolate

ReputationRep:
    The regular Hershey bar tastes like sugar and not an actual 'chocolate'. But on the other hand, Cookies 'n Creme is awesome! Especially love the Cookies 'n Creme milkshake! Kinda too sweet to do one shot, but yum...:badger:

Also love the Mr. Big. Anyone else a fan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)
    I was in Asda earlier and saw they had it, so I bought some mainly for the novelty value.

It smells and tastes like sick/out of date milk. Seriously, it's the most awful chocolate I've ever eaten. How on Earth is this brand so huge in America? What's the deal? Am I missing something?

I know! It tastes disgusting

I much prefer Godiva and Cadbury :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Dark chocolate isn't everyone's cup of tea. I <3 it, so I love Hershey's chocolates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scireamortente)
    No, but I've always wanted to try it, I've been curious as all the Americans seem to go on about how it's so nice. It's such a huge brand, I admit I'm disappointed by the comments, like sick, really?
    There's a very acidic after taste. Like when you give milk to a baby and then it smells like sicky milk afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Hershey's does indeed taste of bile (similar to the blue jolly rancher, for some strange reason...). I remember buying a bar in Home Bargains for 15p. The luxury chocolate mis-shapes were out of stock, and they had a massive stack of these.... Now I know why.

Saying that, the Americans do a better version of the Milky Way called a '3 Musketeer bar.' And the '5th Avenue bar' is quite nice, and I don't particularly like peanut butter.

ReputationRep:
    Tried it once. Just...dissapointing.
    I'd rather stick to english, german or swiss chocolate. Mmm.

ReputationRep:
    If you want real chocolate, buy chocolate which doesn't contain vegetable fat or vegetable oil, most popular UK chocolate manufacturers substitute cocoa butter for vegetable fat, as it is cheaper and also doesn't require the expensive process of tempering.

Next time you buy chocolate, look at the ingredients and if it contains vegetable fat as a substitution of cocoa butter, it is cheap quality chocolate. There is no substitute for good quality chocolate in terms of taste.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.